Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maltese's coat is cottony because she still has her puppy hair. When I brush, I always mist the coat with PetSilk's Leave in Conditioner which works as a detangler. I'm concerned because I think the hair breaks more when it's wet than when dry, when wet there's more resistance on the brush. Is this normal with puppy coats? Her adult, silky coat it's starting to grow (about 1/2 inch now) and I can't wait until it's all straight. Do any of you dry brushed your pup? Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
since maxi has been 14 weeks he has already had 5 groomings he is going to be 7 months on april 16th, i also bathe him once a week except of course the week he gets groomed
during the week i spray on that petsilk and brush him, very little hair comes off in the brush so i dont think its breaking at all
i keep Maxi in a puppycut

·
Registered
939 Posts
Before I get to "real brushing" I will usually go over Tiki with my hands and find any tangles or mats. I try to work these out dry as sometimes I think the moisture tightens the knots and can make it more difficult to get them out (without having to take the scissors to them
). At other times, I'm not sure why, the moisture seems to help and I may add some spray.

When I do finally spray, I mist lightly, using more in areas I think may need it, he is never really WET when I brush him, just damp (though I do a comb through at bath time with the conditioner in).

When he was a pup his coat was very cottony and harder to brush, at a year and a half it is much easier to care for. It is now more silky, though he does have a very wavy coat.

I have read a lot of information on grooming recommendations, but I believe you have to follow your instincts, each pups coat is different and what works for others may or may not work for you.

Judi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts