Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you heard of Richelieu Maltese in Knightsen, CA and
Malta's Angels Maltese in Valley Springs, CA ?
My hubby's boss loves out girls and he and his wife are thinking of getting a maltese and they ask me if I could help them find abreder near us.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i got my malts from Irma (shes in the daily news) and she lives in Santa Paula, California. the only problem i have is that the puppies were shipped from a breeder in missouri. but irma has sold dogs to Magic Johnson and Tia and Tamera (those twins that had their own tv show). shes really knowledgable and cares for her dogs. i forget the phone number, but she advertises "gorgeous baby doll face maltese"

i havent had any problems with my malts, they're super cute and very intelligent

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Eek! Here I go again. Missouri has some good breeders but is known for puppymill operations. From everything I've learned in the 3 years I've had Pico, I would never buy from a third party. Missouri and Utah (Mormons) are hotbeds of puppymill activity and breeders from there deserve a premise visit to be checked out before purchase.

Example: Hollybelle. Early in this breeders career, she was respected and apparently respectable. The past few years her operation went the worst kind of puppymill route and went sharply downhill. You will never know unless you get on premise and inspect it closely. I know some have tried the dreaded MO list and been rebuffed by the attitude. (I've never t/w anyone on that list but I think it's time I did just to see what the heck the deal is) but I believe they are that way because there is so much demand for this breed and since they are not puppymills they only have a few pups and can be snootily choosy and probably don't feel they have to even be polite. Yes, you might have to beg and grovel to get one of these finely bred and gently socialized pups but the Hollybelle mess has made such a strong impression on me that I just can't bear any support of puppymills, however inadvertent. I'm talking through my hat here because I've never talked with or visited with any of the MO list breeders but the scuttlebutt says this is so.

Would you really rather purchase a puppy from who-knows-where or from a genuinely ethical breeder? It is so easy to let your emotions get the best of you when looking into the limpid eyes of these furbabies

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am convinced that if MO allowed more discussion of breeders, Hollybelle wouldn't have gone on the way she did so long. Very sad situation. I'm really glad this site allows discussion and recommendations!

Richelieu Maltese is supposed to be good, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I got my puppy from Martha Thomas in Yucca Valley (760) 760-365-1679...Chanel she is 4 months old and is already very well potty trained, calm, great docile demeanor, and has all black points and a nice coat. In CA, the prices run $1500 - $2500 for Maltese. Boys start at $1500 and the girls start at $2000. I felt bad spending $2000 for her, but I prefer buying from a show breeder...
From what I understand, I think she still has 2 male Maltese available.

I just couldn't see spending $2500 for a female Maltese, I thought it was getting too insane. THey are very trendy over here.

~Just a thought.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Elegant!
I'm sorry if I didn't say *Welcome!* to you & Chanel yet!!
I live next door in Las Vegas and had to get my puppy from a breeder in CA. I picked out a male pup and paid the price that you mentioned... I never thought I would spent that much for a dog but I wanted to make sure I got a pup from a reputable breeder! I agree that pricing depends on the popularity of the breed too. I hope malts aren't popular for the wrong reasons. I hope the reason for the price is for careful selected breeding for health, breed standard, etc... Oops, sorry to ramble on! ^_^
Chanel sounds like a wonderful little girl and can't wait to see pics of her!

*4 more wks til my little guy comes home!!*

·
Registered
942 Posts
Maxismom,
I have never heard of her, but I live in CA. I also did not see her name on the American Maltese Association's website. But that doesn't mean too much either. I looked her name up on the AKC suspension list that I recently posted and I didn't see her name!

puppy*luv,
Thanks for the welcome! What is the name of the breeder that you chose? I never thought I would spend that much too, even though I was fine with it BEFORE I signed the check and left the breeder's house
But Chanel was worth it. The breeder shows her dogs, so I felt more secure with her because she was breeding to find a puppy to show. I think Chanel is great because I got her at 4 months...I didn't have to deal with the potty training and teething as much. She already has a good set of choppers!! She has excellent temperment. THe breeder had two females, Chanel and another one. She told me that she kept both of them so long because she couldn't decide which one she was going to show...she kept the other one because she walked more on a leash than Chanel...but Chanel does fine on the leash.

So...Oh, and I also hope they aren't bred for the wrong reasons. On The Simple Life (yes, I watch that show :ph34r: ) Paris Hilton has that cute Chihuahua, and Nicole has a Shizu...I wonder if those two breeds are more popular because they are shown on tv. I hope not. And then Britney Spears getting one from a stinkin' pet shop wasn't a wise move either.

~Elegant

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a male and female adult maltese they are apri registered my female should be having a litter in first of april i sell for 700.00-950.00 if you are interested let me know [email protected] i live in azusa 20 miles from la thanks becky

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Both of those breeders are reputable breeders. Richelieu Maltese is very well known and is one of the top breeders/handlers in the US. One of their maltese - CH White field Here Comes Trouble is one of the top maltese. Malta Angel from what I hear is also very reptuable.

I have never heard of the other breeders. Irma to me sounds like a broker which I will stay away from. I would not trust people that import their puppies from Missouri for resale. Eeek! Others sound like backyard breeders but then again, they may truly love their maltese and care for them even though they don't show.

I know a few breeders in California. If you are interested, please contact me privately. A few have litters available or coming up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by snuggles07@Feb 13 2005, 06:46 PM
i have a male and female adult maltese they are apri registered my female should be having a litter in first of april i sell for 700.00-950.00 if you are interested let me know [email protected] i live in azusa 20 miles from la thanks becky
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35150
[/QUOTE]
Snuggles,
Are you a breeder? What is "apri" registered? I haven't heard of that one.
Deanne

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
"The registry used tells you a great deal about a breeder. In the U.S., puppies should be registered with AKC (American Kennel Club), UKC (United Kennel Club), the ARBA(American Rare Breed Association) or the foreign registries - the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) or FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationally). These registries do not guarantee a good breeder or a well-bred dog, but unlike many other registries, they represent stricter standards. Many registries were started after the AKC instituted the Frequently Used Sires (FUS) requirement which requires DNA certification of a male dog used to sire more than 7 litters in his lifetime. Some litters have been turned down by the AKC because of violation of this requirement and many other breeders are boycotting AKC as they cannot, or will not, meet AKC's more stringent requirements for breeders.

Some examples of alternative registries that should set off alarms that you are not dealing with a responsible breeder include:
ACA (American Canine Association)
APR (American Purebred Registry)
APRI (America's Pet Registry Inc.)
ARU (Animal Registry Unlimited)
CKC (Continental Kennel Club)
FIC (Federation of International Canines)
USKC (United States Kennel Club)
WKC (World Kennel Club)
WWKC (World Wide Kennel Club)"

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have always thought it was a good idea to allow open discussions of breders and recommend breeders. I did not understand why Maltese Only did not allow it until this thread. The poster listed two reputable breeders but the remaining replies consisted of puppy mills, brokers and back yard breeders. I would be deeply saddened to see someone on the right track get put on the wrong track. We should all be extremely careful about who we recommend and do our research properly.

We should not be allowed to use this board as a venue to sell puppies. Breeders who wish to advertise should contact Joe and have their business card placed on the main site after they pass some sort of evaluation. Just because someone post on this board doesn't make them reputable, ethical or good. I don't mean to be mean to the breeder who registers through APRI but the registry has always been a red flag. I have also seen other backyard breeders who don't know much about the beed advertise and sell puppies on the list. I am a little sadden by this because the people who suffer are the good puppy homes looking for a healthy puppy to love.

I don't want to be critical and I am highly supportive of this board. I still believe in an open discussion of breeders and products. I am glad we have people here who knows and put out warnings so no one gets hurt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree CharmyPoo.
I don't know "snuggles" or Irma, but a puppy mill registry (Thank you again, LadysMom!) & broker do not bode well for those looking for a reputable breeder or Maltese. I do not think that anyone should be allowed to list puppies for sale on Spoiled Maltese. We all know how to find a reputable breeder or we can ask how.

Deanne

1 - 20 of 43 Posts