Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Since I know several people have asked the question recently, and I know they can be very hard to find, I thought I would post back with an update on our puppy/breeder search in the NY/NJ/CT area.

We ended up adopting a puppy from Melitica Maltese.

Dina is a show breeder in Weston, CT (commuting distance from NYC), and very devoted to her puppies. We got a slightly older puppy from her because we were looking for something specific (a larger dog), and he is great - healthy, lovely personality, very affectionate but also very playful and athletic.

She guarantees the health of her puppies, takes any of her dogs back if they can no longer be cared for, and does the whole written contract thing - everything you would expect a responsible breeder to do. Also expect to be fully grilled about your lifestyle and ability to care for a dog (I found her engagement on this encouraging). She will give you an honest assessment of which dog is right for you, and was not at all offended that I was asking for a dog above breed standard size (though to her credit as a breeder, he is only JUST above breed standard - I would have taken double that).

One of her dogs just took best of breed at Westminster, so she is doing something right.

Anyway, meet our new buddy Showbiz!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Congratulations on getting your new Puppy Showbiz!!! He certainly is adorable and I am sure that he will get lots of loving and attention. I have never heard of the Breeder that you got him from but perhaps others here have. Wishing you the very best of luck.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,862 Posts
I, too, am not so knowledgable about US breeders (since I lived most of my life abroad) but if she did well at Westminster she must be doing somethings right.
Congratulations & welcome!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
You can't do much better than a Melitica Maltese! Wow, lucky you! Showbiz is gorgeous and just what you were looking for :wub:

·
Premium Member
20,072 Posts
He is adorable!! :wub: Congratulations!!!

May you two have many happy, healthy years together!! :chili:

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Congratulations!!! You have a beautiful new baby! I have a question, what did you find was the best way to contact her? I sent an inquiry to her last week through the AKC Marketplace and did not hear back from her. I don’t want to be a pest but wondered if there was a better way to reach her.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,862 Posts
Omgosh...adorable! Congrats on your new baby!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Congratulations!!! You have a beautiful new baby! I have a question, what did you find was the best way to contact her? I sent an inquiry to her last week through the AKC Marketplace and did not hear back from her. I don’t want to be a pest but wondered if there was a better way to reach her.

Just saw your post and wondered if you also tried her website or her Facebook page? She has both (and a phone number listed) so you may have better luck that way. Best wishes!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok seriously, cute doesn't begin to cover it! What a little doll! Congrats to you both and we look forward to hearing more about Showbiz :wub:.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Just saw your post and wondered if you also tried her website or her Facebook page? She has both (and a phone number listed) so you may have better luck that way. Best wishes!
Thanks! I did see she had a FB page. I looked at her website and it looks like she only has a male available. The AKC marketplace indicated make and female, must not be up to date.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Ginny,
Sorry for the late reply. She was very responsive here: meliticamaltese [at] gmail.com (fill in the @ there obvs - trying to protect her from spam), but you could also try calling her (I got the impression she preferred the phone: 203.858.7007). I would guess if she is not getting back to you via that email, yes, something is up, since she always got back to me within a day. Her website is VERY out of date (that male is our dog, who is now 7mo), but I know she did have two brand new litters of puppies recently. The AKC website could be right. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Hi Ginny,
Sorry for the late reply. She was very responsive here: meliticamaltese [at] gmail.com (fill in the @ there obvs - trying to protect her from spam), but you could also try calling her (I got the impression she preferred the phone: 203.858.7007). I would guess if she is not getting back to you via that email, yes, something is up, since she always got back to me within a day. Her website is VERY out of date (that male is our dog, who is now 7mo), but I know she did have two brand new litters of puppies recently. The AKC website could be right. Good luck!!

No problem!! I actually JUST connected with Josymir Maltese and am getting a female next week!! Very excited!! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts