Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I found a breeder she was refered to me from a kennel club.
I just wanted to see if anyone heard of Diane Poulos she is from MA Braintree?

thank you!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well we went to see the puppies this weekend and the breeder seemed good.
My only problem with her wa that she did not offer a health garentee.
But everything else seemed good. the parent are both around and she is going to have the pup till 12 weeks .
We got a little girl, I already named her Daisy. She is cute I hope she is healthy.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I think Daisy is a cute name too. I would also ask for a health certificate or guarantee as all good breeders usually offer one.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone !!! we are excited but still nervous.

But we look forward for her to come home..

thanks,

steph

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jun 26 2005, 08:33 PM
But everything else seemed good. the parent are both around and she is going to have the pup till 12 weeks .
We got a little girl, I already named her Daisy. She is cute I hope she is healthy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75433
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your new baby. Hope you can post pictures soon.

I'm curious as to why this breeder doesn't provide a health guarantee. Did she say why?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Massachusetts doesn't have much of a "puppy lemon law" and hobby and byb's are exempt, so be very careful.

I'm wondering, just like Lucy Lou is, why this breeder doesn't offer any sort of health guarentee.

Massachusetts Law

This Law is actually entitled "Operation and Licensing of Pet Shops" so it does not apply to most hobby breeders. It does have provisions similar to the Puppy Lemon Laws of the other states, so it is included here.

Pros: does not effect most hobby breeders

Cons: does not effect back yard breeders, time period to find congenital problems too short.

Applies to: pet shop licensee.
Contagious or Infectious Disease: 14 days
Congenital or Hereditary Defects: 14 days
Failure to Produced Advertised Registration Papers: no
Replacement: yes
Refund: yes
Reimbursement of Veterinary Expenses to Treat Dog: no

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LucyLou+Jun 27 2005, 01:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JAKIEP33
@Jun 26 2005, 08:33 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75433
Congratulations on your new baby. Hope you can post pictures soon.

I'm curious as to why this breeder doesn't provide a health guarantee. Did she say why?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75645
[/B][/QUOTE]

She said that she doesn't have one on her kids so she can't offer one.
She said our vet can check her out and if anything is wrong with her she will take her back.

i don't know but I hope for the best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK now I am a little upset. I guess I was reffered to this women from the kennel club and not the AMA.
So I am not sure if I should continue with the purchase what do you guys think?

I am so confused now...

such a hard choice to make.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jun 27 2005, 03:58 PM
OK now I am a little upset. I guess I was reffered to this women from the kennel club and not the AMA.
So I am not sure if I should continue with the purchase what do you guys think?

I am so confused now...

such a hard choice to make.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75693
[/QUOTE]

Do you know if she is a backyard breeder or does she seem to know the lines behind her dogs, etc.? I feel for ya.... it is so hard to know what to do........

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
She said our vet can check her out and if anything is wrong with her she will take her back.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75687
[/QUOTE]

By now, you have probably figured out that I'm a hard nose on doing it right. In my opinion, saying one can't give a guarantee is bull s---. She could give one if she wanted to. On another note, if she doesn't know her own dogs well enough to guarantee health of their offspring, then she shouldn't be breeding them.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If it were me I would pass and find a breeder that would garentee ,if the puppy got ill or or something worse.
One of my friend got a wonderful papilon and then after three month puppy took so ill, they never found out what it was. The breeder replaced her puppy.
Of course they could never replace the puppy that you brought home, but if you wanted an other were or how would you be able to come up with an other 1200 - 1500 dollors.

I think it would also give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75687

By now, you have probably figured out that I'm a hard nose on doing it right. In my opinion, saying one can't give a guarantee is bull s---. She could give one if she wanted to. On another note, if she doesn't know her own dogs well enough to guarantee health of their offspring, then she shouldn't be breeding them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75735
[/QUOTE]

She say's she has been doing this for 12 years ( Maltese ) She seems to know the breed well and does everything else the proper way. She told me both parent are in good health and we meet both of them.They are friendly and full of life.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
She say's she has been doing this for 12 years ( Maltese ) She seems to know the breed well and does everything else the proper way. She told me both parent are in good health and we meet both of them.They are friendly and full of life.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75759
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but anyone who won't guarantee their dogs just smells fishy to me.

And about the kennel club referral--my friend has a member in hers (in another state from mine) who is a dog/cat hoarder, has admitted to giving the cat drugs and having a sex act with the dog, and is a pediophyle. While this is extremely rare, one doesn't have to be on the up and up to be a member. For my local group, I just had to attend two meeting, then be voted in.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jun 27 2005, 07:29 PM
[/QUOTE]

I would ask where she got the dam and sire. I would also ask to see their pedigrees.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would stop the purchase immediately. Sorry, this breeder, although seemingly nice and knowledgeable, is not a good breeder by definition.

Like LucyLou said- shouldn't breed if cannot give a health guarantee. She will most likely NOT back up her words and take the puppy back and blame any problems on you.

It's easy to be a fake GOOD breeder. Just read what every website says on HOW TO SPOT A GOOD BREEDER. and present yourself in that manner.

There is no guarantee that those other dogs on the premise is even related to the puppy. She's too fishy. If she has been breeding for that long, I'm sure she's been told and knows about the standard practice of health guarantees. She's not giving one in writing for a reason.

Please spare yourself and family the headache and keep on looking.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 27 2005, 08:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JAKIEP33
@Jun 27 2005, 07:29 PM

I would ask where she got the dam and sire. I would also ask to see their pedigrees.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75777
[/B][/QUOTE]

MY husband saw those things but what should we be looking for?

The grandparents were champions .

thank you

1 - 20 of 44 Posts