Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Breeders

9K views 86 replies 24 participants last post by  Tanner's Mom 
#1 ·
I would like to have a female about 6 months to a year old ,would there be anything wrong with asking a breeder for one? I would have her spayed so it wouldnt be for stud just a pet. I am thinking of maybe a girl that may have a problem with having babies or something. The reason I want one is my last little girl( gone but not forgotten)
was one year old and she had a hard time having puppies so the breeder let me have her, and was trained very easy. Would this be a thing breeders generally do or was she just being nice? I would pay full price.

See less See more
#2 ·
A "retiree" that young might be hard to find. Breeders do often adopt out their "retirees" for the price of spaying and teeth cleaning, which is done before they release them to you. However, these babies are usually five to seven years old. I imagine there are situations where a younger Malt is having trouble with giving birth, etc. but I imagine those situations are hard to find out about.

If I were in your shoes I would contact via email all of the top breeders and tell them your situation. I would make the letter very businesslike and professional and tell them all about yourself and why you would make a good mommy for one of their retirees or "problem" females.

The fact that you've been a Malt owner before is bound to be a plus.

All the very best of luck to you!!!

#3 ·
I don't think you would have any trouble at all finding a puppy that was 6 mos to a year old. Most of the breeders that are watching a puppy for show potential don't know until at least 6 months about bite and the right "attitude" for show. That is exactly how I got Sassy. She was being evaluated for show and her bite was slow to come in. When it finally did, it was overshot and the breeder was not going to be able to show her.

Like you, I found that the slightly older puppy is easier regarding food, potty training, sleeping, etc.

#4 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 9 2005, 05:08 PM
I don't think you would have any trouble at all finding a puppy that was 6 mos to a year old.  Most of the breeders that are watching a puppy for show potential don't know until at least 6 months about bite and the right "attitude" for show.  That is exactly how I got Sassy.  She was being evaluated for show and her bite was slow to come in.  When it finally did, it was overshot and the breeder was not going to be able to show her. 

Like you, I found that the slightly older puppy is easier regarding food, potty training, sleeping, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118450
[/QUOTE]

I absolutly agree.
That is EXACTLY how I got Bella, too. I'd just ask a couple breeders that you like if they would put you on a "to be called list" if one of their show prospects falls out of favor for the show ring. The reasons for being placed in a pet home are usually those stated...the bite goes off....the puppy doesn't grow to a sufficient size.....or the personality "attitude" isn't right for the show ring. (For males it is usually one of those same reasons....or a testicle doesn't drop.)

You MIGHT also be able to get a young retiree that has trouble getting pregnant or has trouble birthing pups ....but those girls would definitely be older than six months of age. :new_Eyecrazy:

Wishing you success,

~carole and bella~

#5 ·
Originally posted by Carole@Nov 9 2005, 09:30 PM
You MIGHT also be able to get a young retiree that has trouble getting pregnant or has trouble birthing pups ....but those girls would definitely be older than six months of age. :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118513
[/QUOTE]
I was going to say that good breeders wouldn't breed a female until their 2nd heat. So not sure if you would find one between 6-12 months that needs to be sold because of that. I would look for one that was being kept as a potential show dog, but didn't make it.

#6 ·
Thank You for all your replys, my wife and I are going to start contacting breeders in our area and hope we can find one.

Just had another dog added here it seems someone moved away from some apartments across the street from a friend and left behind a female cocker spaniel , my friend put out flyers and listed in the paper for two weeks but no one claimed her so we have taken her in, we have a large fenched in yard and the dog is really busy checking it out. she must have been raised in an apartment because she acts like a yard is all new to her. :D

#8 ·
#10 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 10 2005, 04:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pippinsmom
@Nov 10 2005, 05:28 PM
I don't know if she is still available, but Snocap Maltese has a 9 month old female available on their site.  Might want to check it out.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118741
This is an excellent breeder. She is gorgeous!!

Sno-Cap Maltese Puppies Available
He also has a female born in December 2004 for $1,000.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118751
[/B][/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD, she is gorgeous. I would even fly there to get her. I am in love!!!

#11 ·
Does anyone know this breeder personally. Do you think they will consider placing her outside the US? Of course i will be more than happy to fly to get her, but do you guys think i might have a shot with this girl. Really, i can`t stop looking at the picture, i am not going to get any sleep tonight. Advice anyone?

#12 ·
Originally posted by mmo@Nov 10 2005, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know this breeder personally. Do you think they will consider placing her outside the US? Of course i will be more than happy to fly to get her, but do you guys think i might have a shot with this girl. Really, i can`t stop looking at the picture, i am not going to get any sleep tonight. Advice anyone?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118768
[/QUOTE]

The breeder is a good friend of the owner of Rhapsody Maltese... IMHO one of the very best in the U.S. I see on his site that his address is now in Texas so he must have moved to be near Rhapsody's owner. You should call... it can't hurt to ask.

#13 ·
I'd definately call because you wont know without asking. Phoebe has snocap and is the coolest little thing. Of course I'm bias
I think this one looks alot like my Phoebe, minus the red face
I only deal with Tonia, as Phoebe was her project, and from what I know of her she is totally great and I'd assume Al is too. I cant wait to hear what happens. Sounds like the age thing is perfect for you
and you cannot beat the price!

#15 ·
We called. She is 2500 dlls, i was hoping more or less the price of the other girl that they have available. They are placing her due to some patella problems and she is going to be spayed before she goes to her new home. (fine with me! BUT)
I know she is worth it but unfortunately that`s too much for me as i also has to pay for the air ticket and hotel to get her. I am heartbroken and i shouldn`t be because i know this girl is extra special. I guess this wasn`t meant to be.

Anyway, i am officially searching for a girl now...

#16 ·
She has patella problems and they are still charging that much??? Geez. Didn't someone just post that the patella surgery is like $1600 per knee. I guess I've had just enough wine to think that is WAY too much to charge for this little girl.

PS. In fairness, at least they are disclosing the info up front.

#17 ·
Originally posted by mmo@Nov 10 2005, 11:27 PM
We called. She is 2500 dlls, i was hoping more or less the price of the other girl that they have available. They are placing her due to some patella problems and she is going to be spayed before she goes to her new home. (fine with me! BUT)
I know she is worth it but unfortunately that`s too much for me as i also has to pay for the air ticket and hotel to get her. I am heartbroken and i shouldn`t be because i know this girl is extra special. I guess this wasn`t meant to be.

Anyway, i am officially searching for a girl now...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118817
[/QUOTE]
I just thought I would let you know Treasure is a boy and what a sweetie both of them are.

#18 ·
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Nov 10 2005, 06:56 PM
The Snowcap female is lovely!  I rarely see a male puppy 9 mo. to year available. Seems like they are usually female. Not good from my point of view.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118757
[/QUOTE]

Sarah reported that Treasure is a boy!!!!! Maybe you should give them a call!!!

Info from the site: Treasure's DOB December 2004 - $1,000 - should be 4.5-5 pounds - He is in long coat right now.

Sno-Cap Puppy Page

#19 ·
About the patella, Al told us she may or may not have problems. They are just not keeping her because she can`t be bred or showed because of this.
The new owner has to be extra careful and don`t let her jump or force her knees too much which i would.
And i don`t know how i thought Treasure was a girl, i guess i got confused about the excitement and i now understand the price difference. Thanks for clarifying that.

#20 ·
The female puppy is gorgeous but my question is this -- if she is having luxating patellas this early in life (she is only 9 months), it is genetic. Sure, you could rest her but it will never stop luxating once its already doing so. Our vets (and we asked many) said that it only gets worse not better. By limiting her activity she will gain weight, which will make matters worse, and besides, can you really do this her whole life?

#21 ·
I don`t have any experience on luxating patellas or any other illnesses. I`ve been blessed to have very healthy dogs, only minor problems. I guess i got carried away by her breathtaking beauty, i am glad she is out of my budget
and i want a girl so bad.

I am learning a lot here and i thank you all for your advice. I will certainly consult with you guys before making a decision.
Thanks you again

#22 ·
I KNOW that you can find a girl. How far into the US are you willing to come? Maybe you should email breeders in the area that you could get to and explain your situation and ask them to let you know if they can help you, or know of anyone else who could.

#24 ·
The most "comfortable" places for me are Florida, Texas, California and maybe NY if i can get a good deal on the airfare. I can get plane tickets from 250-350 to these states,
I have to check the rates to Chicago though.
I REALLY appreciate you guys giving me moral support on my search!!! I am so happy i found you

#25 ·
I will give Al Fritterer a TON of credit for being forthright and honest though.
IMHO it shows he is a trustworthy one truly trying to better the breed by not adding this girl to his program and being honest with the buyer.

My other concern is that the fur-angel looks like she might have staining. I don't know if is is just the shadowing on the picture or she has a staining problem. I would not pay the higher end price for a Maltese with staining. Did Al mention anything about a staining problem, mmo? She sure has a DARLING FACE though.

~carole and bella~

#26 ·
Originally posted by Carole@Nov 11 2005, 11:28 AM
I will give Al Fritter a TON of credit for being forthright and honest though.

It shows he is a trustworthy one truly trying to better the breed IMHO.

My other concern is that the fur-angel looks like she might have staining.  I don't know if is is just the shadowing on the picture or she has a staining problem.  I would not pay the higher end price for a Maltese with staining.  Did Al mention anything about a staining problem, mmo? She sure has a DARLING FACE though.

~carole and bella~
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118918
[/QUOTE]

I am thinking this too... Phoebe has a darling face but she is red red red and now I'm noticing these snocaps seem to be red red red. Do you think they all just have the tendency to want to clean the floor or something? Is that the genetic factor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.