Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you may remember last Christmas when I posted about taking Brinkley to the Christmas parade and he acted like a maniac...
He went nuts over the sirens and tried to EAT a horse!
I got chastised pretty hard on here about him barking at the horses. Anywhoooo....

Brink has never been a perfect angel when we take him in public to events. He is actually quite embarrassing (as in the Christmas parade incident). He barks at people...nips...growls...just all around bad manners.

Well, today I decided to take my daughter to the VERY small homecoming parade for our local college. It is nothing like our rural Christmas parade as far as length, but I figured the sirens and horses would be there. I just had in my head that I would park close, and if Brink acted like a moron, I would put him back in the vehicle. (the parade lasts all of 15 minutes) My opinion is that if he is never exposed, he can't learn the correct way to act..right?

So we parked and walked up to my friends house which had quite a gathering out front of old alumni and friends of mine, as well as their kids. When we arrived, the sirens of the police cars/ambulance/firetrucks were coming. BRINK NEVER EVEN WOOFED!
They went right in front of us!
I was SO SHOCKED!

So he patiently watched the rest of the parade...some in my arms, and some at my feet. THEN the horses started coming. He didn't even act as if it bothered him!
I was so impressed with him. He let people pet him and hold him and acted like a "nice dog"!!!!!!

So when he got home he got a chicken treat! The WHOLE thing...not even broken up into pieces!
Do you think maybe he got the idea?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Awwww! That's great!! Maybe he's just starting to settle into his own. I think dogs go through growth phases, maybe when you thought Brinkley was being not so nice, he was just acting out his teenage agression (LOL!!) I know Massimo goes through some phases (not so good ones) and in a month or two he's back to his old self again. I'm so glad Brink was good for you. That's so great!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Ahh that's great! It could well be Brink has had more socialization, more exposure in general since the Christmas parade and has learned his manners "with experience". Also wonder.. were you standing back a bit more from the parade this time?
We took Naddie to our local community parade only a few days after we got her so wasn't sure how she'd react. I had decide if it upset her I'd simply bring her home. Well she was fine with all the adults, kids, and other dogs, along the parade route. Once the parade started she acted a bit nervous, so before it turned into a stressful incident for her I went back from the street and onto the steps of the church where we could still see but not quite so close.. she was fine with that!!

Terry, Angel Missy, and Naddie

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Wow it sounds like Brink is growing up fast. Perhaps the first time he was intimmidated by the noise, crowd and horses.
What a little champion he has become

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Nov 5 2005, 03:55 PM
Ahh that's great! It could well be Brink has had more socialization, more exposure in general  since the Christmas parade and has learned his manners "with experience".  Also wonder.. were you standing back a bit more from the parade this time?
Terry, Angel Missy, and Naddie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117012
[/QUOTE]

We were actually right about the same distance or maybe even closer today. Even if the more socialization theory is right...funny how it got better all of the sudden. Not that I am complaining...ha ha..

Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 5 2005, 04:40 PM
Wow it sounds like Brink is growing up fast. Perhaps the first time he was intimmidated by the noise, crowd and horses.
What a little champion he has become

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117014
[/QUOTE]

I am hoping that it is truly a "growing up" thing and not just a fluke of a few good days in a row. He also did not growl and carry on to the dog at the groomer yesterday. That is SO not like him either.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby has been a growler from day one, I just think it is his way of communicating because he never attempts to snarl or bite, he just growls if one of us tries to make him do something he doesn't want to do. I remember one night he was on daddy's recliner with him and I wanted him to go out potty, well, he growled all the way outside like a spoiled little brat
I think he thinks if he growls he might get to stay put, but we have never taken any notice and he still growls but never nips, so we just let him have his say
but he still gets to do things our way

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
way to go Brinkster! :D

Hopefully, he has hit the mature state. Everything is so much smoother when they are mature enough to know how to act. I also think that a year of being exposed to many different situations (no matter how minor they would add up) helped. One reason I took Little C with me to the Pet Expo yesterday was because I suddenly realized that I took Sir N EVERYWHERE when he was young, but Little C hadn't been to a fraction of the places he had been by the time he was her age now. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stay as she can get rather hysterical when she sees a dog and I knew there would be hundreds of them. But I think she was intimidated by all the chaos because she was as good as gold the entire time. (Though, the boring 2 hour subway ride to get there might have tranquilized her.)

Glad to hear that Brinkley is coming into his own.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can't believe you called him a moron....that's funny. I glad he was such a big boy, but you just scared me a little. I've been looking foreward to taking Tucker to Mardi Gras down here. ( Not New Orleans, Im still a little scared for those) I never thought about the sirens.

Hmmm...I'll just have to plan it out a little better.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well you go Brinkley....I knew you had it in ya. You just had to want to behave.. it had to be on YOUR terms not moms. LOL

Like a real boy. LOL

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Go Brinkley!!!!
I think exposure does help. We take Miko everywhere so he is not bothered by loud sounds, crowds or horses. We went to New York over holidays and were walking on New Years eve in the city (tons and tons of people) and Miko quietly sat in his bag. We have taken him to the Rose bowl parade in pasadena and he was fine with that. We also take him to movies, malls, etc so he is used to any kind of sounds. Fireworks don't bother him. The more I type the more I realize that he is beginning to sound unreal :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Good for Brink! Starting small and building up is probably the best way. At this rate, he'll be ready for the Christmas parade this year!

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is funny because Jack has always been super friendly with everybody, dogs and people and cats and everybody -- until TODAY when a pretty little puppy (a baby boxer I think?) came up to me and started to love on me -- and JACK GOT SO MAD and growled and barked angry and tried to even BITE him!!!
I was so embarrassed because I had just said to the owner "dont worry, Jack is a sweetie" and then he goes and does that!!

My boyfriend said he was just trying to "protect his woman"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts