Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we went to the park and as we were getting out of the van, I reached to grab my son's inhaler. I had hold of Brink's leash, but with slack. He jumped off my lap to the pavement and immediately yelped three times. Then turned to look at me as if I had done it!

Anyway, he immedietely started favoring his right back leg- although he was SO excited that he took off running/pulling the leash. I picked him up and touched it/moved it and he never yelped, although he still limped pretty badly. We took him home and left him to rest while we went out to eat. I kept him from jumping and running the rest of the evening the best that I could. He would put it down from time to time...so he can put SOME weight on it. We kept messing with it to see if he would act as if something was hurt-but he never has. Just the limping.

I was hoping this morning would be better, tht it was maybe just a sprain (that is what hubby thought) and that he would be fine. He is still favoring it some this morning, although not as much as last night. I am going to check on him this afternoon and if it doesn't look any better, I am going to take him in this afternoon. I felt so bad for him...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Get his knee checked. Sir N had a luxating patella due to an injury, not genetics. It never hurt him when I touched his leg or moved it around. But, he limped.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Apr 22 2005, 08:47 AM
Do you think maybe you accidently put your foot on top of his? Are any of his nails cracked?
I am honestly just pulling reasons from who knows where!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55214
[/QUOTE]

I was still sitting in the van when he jumped. He did it when he landed...whatever he did...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Awwwwwwwww poor Brinkster
I hope all will be ok,yes if I were you I think Id still get it checked even if he stops limping.Give him Smooches & Hugs from me and my gang.Keep us posted.They sure can move fast sometimes

·
Registered
608 Posts
That is how Boca our pit bull ruptured her cruciate (sp check that). Its a ligament in the back knee. They can bend it move it do all that but will limp on it. Boca used to walk normal if she was really excited but as soon as she lost her focus she remembered the pain. I would have the vet look just to make sure.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 22 2005, 08:34 AM
Last night we went to the park and as we were getting out of the van, I reached to grab my son's inhaler. I had hold of Brink's leash, but with slack. He jumped off my lap to the pavement and immediately yelped three times. Then turned to look at me as if I had done it!

Anyway, he immedietely started favoring his right back leg- although he was SO excited that he took off running/pulling the leash. I picked him up and touched it/moved it and he never yelped, although he still limped pretty badly.  We took him home and left him to rest while we went out to eat. I kept him from jumping and running the rest of the evening the best that I could. He would put it down from time to time...so he can put SOME weight on it.  We kept messing with it to see if he would act as if something was hurt-but he never has. Just the limping.

I was hoping this morning would be better, tht it was maybe just a sprain (that is what hubby thought) and that he would be fine. He is still favoring it some this morning, although not as much as last night. I am going to check on him this afternoon and if it doesn't look any better, I am going to take him in this afternoon. I felt so bad for him...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55210
[/QUOTE]

oh poor baby maybe its just sore but you should but you should probably take him anyway just to be safe

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Poor Brink!!! I hope he's better today!
I'm sooo paranoid about these guys I would probably take him to the vet just to be sure. Their knees can be so fragile. Big hug Brink

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki had a similar injury when he was a puppy. My daughter had been playing fetch with him and held the toy kind of high. Tiki jumped straight up into the air and came down wrong on his hind leg. This happened in the evening so in the morning when he was still limping some I took him to the vet. The vet said it was just a sprain, gave us some ainti-inflamitory medication and told us to keep him from jumping around. Keeping him from re-injuring was the hardest part!

Hopefully that is all it is, a sprain....
Hope he feels better; keep us posted

Judi

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
ouchie! Well I know that this has happened to both of my dogs that I've had. Their knees popped out of joint. The vet showed me how to get it back in and he was fine though sore....The vet told me to give him a baby aspirin to help him w/ the pain. I would call the vet..I would hate for him to go into shock from pain

·
Registered
860 Posts
Oh I am so sorry Brinkley, your first mommy will say a little prayer for you an hope you have a fast recovery. Brinkley you better be more careful from now on. I am sending my love an love from all the other fur kidz to get well.
Teaco

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Poor little guy...how is he doing today? I would suggest that you take him to the vet to make sure that he isn't doing any further damage by walking on it. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Code:
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tlunn[/i]@Apr 22 2005, 06:34 AM
[B]Last night we went to the park and as we were getting out of the van, I reached to grab my son's inhaler. I had hold of Brink's leash, but with slack. He jumped off my lap to the pavement and immediately yelped three times. Then turned to look at me as if I had done it! [img]http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] 

Anyway, he immedietely started favoring his right back leg- although he was SO excited that he took off running/pulling the leash. I picked him up and touched it/moved it and he never yelped, although he still limped pretty badly.  We took him home and left him to rest while we went out to eat. I kept him from jumping and running the rest of the evening the best that I could. He would put it down from time to time...so he can put SOME weight on it.  We kept messing with it to see if he would act as if something was hurt-but he never has. Just the limping. 

I was hoping this morning would be better, tht it was maybe just a sprain (that is what hubby thought) and that he would be fine. He is still favoring it some this morning, although not as much as last night. I am going to check on him this afternoon and if it doesn't look any better, I am going to take him in this afternoon. I felt so bad for him... [img]http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]
<div align="right">[url="index.php?act=findpost&pid=55210"][/url][/QUOTE]  

omg!  I hope he is feeling better. Good Luck![/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My first thought with incidents like this is always a cruciate injury. It could just be a soft tissue strain. Traumatic luxating patella is another option. He could also have ripped a nail off or something landing that is painful. Vet visit it in order for sure.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts