Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So hard not to worry.
Felt so bad leaving him...he tried to turn around and reach back out for me...

Poor baby!

Can't wait to go pick him up this afternoon...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'm sure everything will be fine. I remember when Lexi got spayed. I thought the day would never end. Keep us posted on how he does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh poor doggie, I know the time is coming soon that I will be doing the same for Snowy.
I dont even want to think about it.

Snowy sends kisses

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww, your baby will be fine. It makes everything harder when they reach out for you huh

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Looks like Brinkley and Catcher will be recovering at the same time since Catcher was neutered yesterday. I am so glad its over with. It is just awful having to leave them....

I'm having trouble keeping Catcher away from his incision. Every time I look at him his head is under there! :eek:

I'm going to take him to PetSmart tonight and see what they have... I believe I recall that they had a soft "E collar". I brought him to work with me and his crate is sitting on my desk so I can get a bird's eye view of what he's up to. But I can't take him everywhere I go for the next two weeks so I need something to make sure he is behaving himself.

Hope Brinkley is doing well.....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We are home. He was SO excited to see me...he about JUMPED out of the vet's arms..
He looks pitiful...the vet pulled three teeth...so he has some blood in his mustache and beard...
vet appologized several times...but he said I could give him a bath...probably will just wash his face though when he feels a little better. He didn't make a mess of him shaving him like some of the others that I have heard. He only shaved what he needed to. His belly was really short anyway...Unless he rolls over on his back or side, you can't even tell anything was done.

I was very unprepared for what it would all look like...I guess I thought "they" would be completely gone :ph34r: ...I haven't investigated much...but it looks rough...

He is licking alot also...but not always right on his stitches area...he is licking all around it and his belly and legs. They said I could put some preparation H on there to help with the itching...will that hurt him if he licks the preparation H? Didn't ask that, but the tube says "if swallowed call Poison Control immediately".

We are going to the highschool football game for a couple hours tonight. With all the licking, I hate to leave him unattended for that long, but maybe he will just sleep.

He said after tomorrow, that he should be pretty much back to normal...just groggy for today and tomorrow...He said some snap back faster than others.

He is still licking..I sure hope we don't have to resort to the cone thing...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom@Oct 15 2004, 04:04 PM
Looks like Brinkley and Catcher will be recovering at the same time since Catcher was neutered yesterday. I am so glad its over with. It is just awful having to leave them....

I'm having trouble keeping Catcher away from his incision. Every time I look at him his head is under there!  :eek:

I'm going to take him to PetSmart tonight and see what they have... I believe I recall that they had a soft "E collar".  I brought him to work with me and his crate is sitting on my desk so I can get a bird's eye view of what he's up to. But I can't take him everywhere I go for the next two weeks so I need something to make sure he is behaving himself.

Hope Brinkley is doing well.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12034
[/QUOTE]

Hope Catcher is feeling well too...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder what other kinds of things we could rub on the skin AROUND the area that would taste so bad it would prevent them from licking...????????
What about vinegar...if it didn't touch the actual incision spot...just on the area around it...like putting it on lightly with a cotton ball...maybe the smell and one little lick of it would stop it...I am guessing if it actually touched the spot that it would burn..but licking it wouldn't hurt him...no poison warnings on that like there is on the preparation H.
What do you all think...??? I have heard of putting Right Guard deodorant on there somewhere...but we don't use that here...wonder why Right Guard in particular was mentioned?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 15 2004, 04:28 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12036
[/QUOTE]

You could maybe just use the cone for when you are gone. That way you wouldn't have to worry about his licking the stitchs. He will probably sleep while you are gone but you might worry a little less if you use the cone. I used it the cone on Lexi only when I was gone. When I was home I would take it off unless she was really licking at the stitches.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Oct 15 2004, 04:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Oct 15 2004, 04:28 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12036
You could maybe just use the cone for when you are gone. That way you wouldn't have to worry about his licking the stitchs. He will probably sleep while you are gone but you might worry a little less if you use the cone. I used it the cone on Lexi only when I was gone. When I was home I would take it off unless she was really licking at the stitches.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12041
[/B][/QUOTE]

I didn't pick one up...I guess I could try to make it through the night-and go get one in the morning....he has stopped now and is sleeping-I corrected him very sternly a couple times. He catches on quick-so maybe that will work?!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Are you sure he's licking his stitches? Cloud kept licking his peepee.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mostly he is just licking his pee-pee or the area around it all...but I don't want to even let him do that right now...so that he won't think it is alright to lick the stitches...

He is hiding in the far back of his house right now-resting-probably what he needs most right now.

Did others get pain meds to bring home? We didn't...I didn't ask..he made it sound like he would be fine...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 15 2004, 06:21 PM
Did others get pain meds to bring home? We didn't...I didn't ask..he made it sound like he would be fine...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12049
[/QUOTE]

Hi, glad Brinkley is home... yea!

Yes, my vet gave me 4 syringes filled with a teeny tiny amount of a "narcotic" drug called Buprenex that I'm to give every 12 hours. I'm to squirt the liquid in his mouth. He loves it... must taste good.

I asked about the use of the pain med. because when he spayed Kallie a year and a half ago he didn't send home any pain medicine. He said that some research has shown that dogs may be in pain more than we realize since they want to please us or something like that. Tomorrow morning is the last dose. The medicine was supposed to make him drowsy but didn't seem to at all.

He is still licking... driving me crazy.... !

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
dogs on pain meds tend to leave the area alone more and are more willing to eat etc. but if he is doing fine i wouldnt worry too much. i would get the e-collar..they have them at petsmart. i had to get one for parker. he got out one of his stitches the first day... so did the vet do any thing to his eyes? i was looking at parkers old pics on my web site and i was amazed how much his eyes had improved..i had forgotten how bad it had got.. well glad brinkley and catcher made it through. now they will grow up to be better family members! :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 15 2004, 06:32 PM
... so did the vet do any thing to his eyes?  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12052
[/QUOTE]

He did pull the hairs there in his eyes...looks like he got one side really well...left a few in the other one...I bet it is hard...and nerve-racking....just gotta be so careful around the eyes...he said it might/probably grow back...but no harm it taking them out for now while he was already under. We'll see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 15 2004, 02:21 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12049
[/QUOTE]

Chanel got a morphine patch on her leg. I have to go back to have them remove it on Monday next week. After that she should be fine. But, the surgeries are different too...I can't imagine cutting flesh, removing or altering "stuff", and closing it up, and not needing any pain medication. Dogs feel pain right? They are alive. I would request pain meds.

I'm happy Brinkley is home with you! Success!

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes they feel pain...but for a male dog no muscle is cut so it isnt quite as painful...it is not an abdominal surgery for little boys...the testes hang outside the body wall in the scrotum so all that is cut is skin.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts