Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Peanut's nails crack and flake when I trim them. This is a new thing for us, I never noticed it before. I always trim nails after baths. I use the guillotine(sp?) style clippers and I cut from the bottom up. He's becoming very hesitant to have his nails cut now and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is something I can do to help keep his nails from cracking and flaking. Tic doesn't have a problem with this, so I don't think I'm doing something wrong, but who knows? Would a nail grinder be better for him? I try to file the edges but the cracks go down pretty far. I bought a scissor style nail trimmer, but his nails still cracked. Any help would be great!! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Rose
. That's what I was thinking so I bought a brand new pair and it didn't help
It's like the pressure from the blades just crushes the nail and makes it crack instead of cutting through smoothly. Both pairs work great on Tic, but it's Peanut with the brittle problem.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I found this about a lab, but thats the best thing that I found!

Brittle nails in Lab

Question: Hello. Our 85 lb. chocolate lab Bailey has brittle nails, according
to the groomer. Please advise what this may mean and what we can do.

Allow me to give you some background. We adopted her three years ago
as a one-year old. She is fed 4.5 cups of ProPlan Chicken and Rice per
day. We also give her broccoli stems and occasionally carrot. For occasional
treats, liver treats and pigs ears.

Thank you.

Answer: Linda-

The answer to this question depends on exactly what is happening with
the nails.

If you are seeing dry nails that crumble easily when they are trimmed,
but are not sloughing off, not causing pain or other discernible problems,
then there are lots of anecdotal recommendations for treatment. I am not
aware of any studies that show that any of these things actually work, but
anecdotally they are recommended:

Gelatin administration is a common recommendation for treatment of
brittle nails. I have seen a fairly wide range of recommendations for the
amount of gelatin to give. For an 85 lbs. dog the total dosages would be 2 to 5
packages per day (Knox Gelatin ™ is the most commonly recommended
brand name). I suspect that this is rarely helpful but haven't seen any
reports of it being harmful.

Some sources recommend supplementing biotin when nails are brittle. I
can't recall whether I have seen a study in dogs but I know that in horses
there have been studies that haven't shown much benefit for hoof care, which
should be similar. The recommended dosage is around 5mg/kg (about 200mg
for your dog) of biotin per day, if you want to try this.

Zinc supplementation helps in some dogs. The usual dosage is zinc
gluconate 5mg/kg daily. This probably only works when there is a zinc deficiency,
although some dogs just seem to need more zinc. I don't think of this
as a really common problem but we have seen at least a couple of cases of
zinc deficiency in our practice over the years.

The best bet is probably to supplement with omega n3 fatty acids. This
is usually done using fish oil (3V Capsules tm) and giving 180mg/10lbs of
body weight per day, which is a pretty high dosage. For just dry nails a
lower dosage might be helpful but for the condition discussed next you would
need the higher dosage.

If the nails are actually cracking back to the nail bed, if they are
falling off or if they are deformed, it is likely that there is a
medical cause for the problem. The most likely cause would be lupoid
onchodystrophy, followed by food allergies or other allergies,
ringworm, bacterial infections and immune mediated diseases. Except for the
ringworm and bacterial infections all of these conditions might respond to the
high end dosages of 3V Capsules. It is likely that your vet can give you
some idea of the possibility of an infectious cause following an
examination.

I hope this helps some.

Mike Richards, DVM
8/7/2001

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good idea Rose. I will bring him by the vet next week when I have to drop of the fecal sample (Tic's roundworm saga is coming to an end finally! :D ) It really doesn't seem like a big deal, but I'm afraid the cracking is hurting him

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
can u take a pic of the nails?? we had a boxer come in with an immune problem with its nails..i doubt this is what u are experiencing but i was curius what they looked like.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried to get a pic of the nails but I guess my camera's not that great with the closeups
Some of his nails look a little crusty/dry looking I assume because of all the flaking. Some also have an area where the outer layer of the nail is cracked and lifted a little. It's not every nail, but at least one on each paw. Gee, I wish I could have gotten a pic...I suck at explaining things
His paw pads feel a little dry too, and they also look dry. Tic's are all black and soft, but Peanut's are rough feeling.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
do u have a macro setting on ur cam...im sure u do...it is a flower symbol...it is for closeups

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sorry for the huge pic...does it look n e thing like this..although this doesnt quite look like the case i saw

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was using the macro setting, but still couldn't get a good closeup
. I dont' think Peanut's nails look like the pic you posted. But if you look at that pic and imagine a dry flaky area on the side of the nail you are showing, that would be Peanuts. He just has a stripe of black along the top edge of some of his nails. The cut ends are all raggedy too. Part my fault because I gave up trying to file them down. You know how when people bang their finger in the door and you get a white spot on the nail? He has a few spots like that too. Anyways, I really can't explain this well, thanks so much for trying to help me!! :D

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
no problem....the case i saw had no discoloration. i hope it is nothing with peanut. definately have ur vet look at it. hopefully it is something easily treatable.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i was wondering the same

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aww, thanks for remembering
The vet looked at his nails and gave a little trim to see for herself. She said his nails/feet are just dry. I feel like a bad mommy, but she said it could be from him peeing on his feet
The combination of the pee and the wipes dried him out. I had no idea that bad nails could be a sign of so many diff problems, but Peanut's didn't seem to cause concern. She recommended a supplement (can't remember the name) that's on order from my pet shop and we'll see how they look in the next month or so. I know he pees on his feet, which is why I constantly wipe his feet, but I didn't even think of that when I first posted my question..
Peanut's such a prissy boy, he must be too shy to spread out his legs to pee
He manages to soak all 4 feet at once
Other than that he's a healthy boy. He's gained a few ounces since April...finally

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use the alcohol/fragrance free baby wipes from huggies. They are the 'natural care' ones. I thought out of all the wipes I saw those were the ones to use, but I haven't done it since the vet mentioned it. I've just been doing a wipe down with plain water to try to rinse off a majority of the pee. Thanks for looking out for my baby

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Jul 15 2005, 02:12 PM
I use the alcohol/fragrance free baby wipes from huggies.  They are the 'natural care' ones.  I thought out of all the wipes I saw those were the ones to use, but I haven't done it since the vet mentioned it.  I've just been doing a wipe down with plain water to try to rinse off a majority of the pee.  Thanks for looking out for my baby

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81699
[/QUOTE]
I recently have been using Shea Butter wipes from Huggies on my pup's feet and they are soft as silk. You might want to give them a try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts