Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our lab broke his tail about 2 inches from the base today. We are not quite sure how he did it as he was outside at the time. The vet gave him rimadyl for pain and sent him home. They said there is nothing more they can do. Any suggestions? He will walk go to wag his tail yelp, turn in a circle to see what hurt, yelp again and then just sit scared to move.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Awhh I'm so sorry to hear that! My brother shut his dog's tail in the door once. The vet pretty much did the same thing. It was alright, just crooked. Of course it hurt when he wagged his tail though....

I hope he feels better....give him hugs for me.

-c

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i'd go to another vet. im sure it should be straightened out and put a tight bandage around it. ....but i dont know. get a second opinion just in case. i hate seeing the babies in pain....so i know what you're feeling.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I hope he feels better!!! I would think that they would have wrapped it. I would call the vet again and tell them about the yelping when he wags. Poor baby!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Poor baby. I hope he gets well soon.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww...
Poor thing...I don't have any answers...give him lots of kisses for me...I am somewhat curious how he did that though...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea how he did it. The only thing I can think of his he whacked it against the side of the house or garage on a corner. He is acting fine this morning so I have no idea he was so out of it last night he wouldn't come near me or my hubby. Wouldn't come inside nothing. Although last night I didn't crate him I just left him in the kitchen and he felt good enough to try to eat a bag of potoatoes.
and people wonder why as old as he is he is still crated. That goofball will still eat anything he can pull to floor level. He went outside tail slightly bent but wagging this morning and being his normal goofy self.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 8 2005, 07:41 AM
Although last night I didn't crate him I just left him in the kitchen and he felt good enough to try to eat a bag of potoatoes. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60868
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha.....What a hoot!!!
Well, it sounds like he is feeling better anyway...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have worked at severl vet clinics and one time we had a dog the had a cut on the end of the tail and when he wagged it blood would shoot everywhere. It looked like we murdered someone in our office. It was funny. any ways after we bandaged it he still hurt it by wagging so what we did is: we arapped the tail by its self then we wrapped the tail up against one of the back legs. It worked great!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by sassy14830@May 8 2005, 09:52 AM
I have worked at severl vet clinics and one time we had a dog the had a cut on the end of the tail and when he wagged it blood would shoot everywhere. It looked like we murdered someone in our office. It was funny. any ways after we bandaged it he still hurt it by wagging so what we did is: we arapped the tail by its self then we wrapped the tail up against one of the back legs. It worked great!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60878
[/QUOTE]

I don't think that would work to well because it would bend the break. I am just going to leave it the way it is and hope for the best like the vet said. He is acting find today

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I hope all works out for your Lab. It's amazing at the healing capability they have. One of mine, adopted from a shelter, got hit when I forgot to lock the gate to my property and someone came up my drive. She would not let me get close enough to her to pick her up. Since I couldn't get her to the vet for over a day, my vet suggested we just leave her alone. I don't use that vet anymore because of other stupid things he did, but, in this case, he was right. I just came in from outside, and Cheyenne has made every step with me. She healed on her own, and has had no problems since this happened over a year ago. I hope your guy has just as good a recovery. Of course, if he gets into something more than potatoes, he may have other problems.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@May 8 2005, 04:06 PM
I hope all works out for your Lab.  It's amazing at the healing capability they have.  One of mine, adopted from a shelter, got hit when I forgot to lock the gate to my property and someone came up my drive.  She would not let me get close enough to her to pick her up.  Since I couldn't get her to the vet for over a day, my vet suggested we just leave her alone.  I don't use that vet anymore because of other stupid things he did, but, in this case, he was right.  I just came in from outside, and Cheyenne has made every step with me.  She healed on her own, and has had no problems since this happened over a year ago.  I hope your guy has just as good a recovery.  Of course, if he gets into something more than potatoes, he may have other problems.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60911
[/QUOTE]

Forgot to state that she had a broken or dislocated hip.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Poor guy!! OUCH!!!
Looks like he put himself on the potato diet. I heard that works wonders for whatever ails you!
Hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LucyLou@May 8 2005, 04:06 PM
I hope all works out for your Lab.  It's amazing at the healing capability they have.  One of mine, adopted from a shelter, got hit when I forgot to lock the gate to my property and someone came up my drive.  She would not let me get close enough to her to pick her up.  Since I couldn't get her to the vet for over a day, my vet suggested we just leave her alone.  I don't use that vet anymore because of other stupid things he did, but, in this case, he was right.  I just came in from outside, and Cheyenne has made every step with me.  She healed on her own, and has had no problems since this happened over a year ago.  I hope your guy has just as good a recovery.  Of course, if he gets into something more than potatoes, he may have other problems.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60911
[/QUOTE]

Ranger has had 3 exploritory surgeries from eating things... So far they have found a whole mop head( not chewed up at all), a towel, and half of a converse tennis shoe. I swear he will eat anything, hence he has been crated his whole life when we are not around or at night.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
If your baby is anything like my hubbies lab,she wags her tail so fast and it hurts when it hits you.So if yours wags alot and as fast he prob. hit it against something and broke it that way.Hope he heals quickly!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by sheila2182@May 9 2005, 09:26 AM
If your baby is anything like my hubbies  lab,she wags her tail so fast and it hurts when it hits you.So if yours wags alot  and as fast he prob. hit it against something and broke it that way.Hope he heals quickly!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61045
[/QUOTE]

that is exactly what I figure happened.... Lab tails should be weapons I swear, I always have bruises across my thighs from him. He can clear a coffee table in a single swipe.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+May 9 2005, 09:47 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@May 9 2005, 09:26 AM
If your baby is anything like my hubbies  lab,she wags her tail so fast and it hurts when it hits you.So if yours wags alot  and as fast he prob. hit it against something and broke it that way.Hope he heals quickly!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61045

that is exactly what I figure happened.... Lab tails should be weapons I swear, I always have bruises across my thighs from him. He can clear a coffee table in a single swipe.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61051
[/B][/QUOTE]
I know Tara's butt even wiggles when she wags!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts