Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With more and more people educated about the dangers of buying from Pet Stores many Puppymills and BYB are turning to brokers to sell their puppies. Brokers are starting to find more ways to fool people. Brokers are slick. They often tell stories about how the puppies came into their possession. Be wary when you are looking as brokers often make good con artists and weave some amazing tales. With the way Facebook works there are new ways for brokers to reach out to potential puppy buyers. They may befriend people on FaceBook and haunt groups on looking for their next sale.

There are many forms of brokers, but a common one we have seen lately are the importers, these are folks who get puppies from overseas and sell them here in the US. Just like in the US, there are great breeders overseas and there are puppymills overseas. The same rules apply. Be sure you learn everything you can about the breeder. Diligence in your research is even more important if you are unable to visit the breeder personally.

Here are two ways to make sure that you are not dealing with a broker:
1. Meet the breeder in person and ask to meet the dam.
2. Make sure that the breeder's name listed on the AKC papers is the same name as the person you have bought your puppies from.

If you are unable to do either of these things for some reason, make sure you check out the breeder thoroughly. Ask tons of questions about the sire and dam of your puppies. If the breeder is an ethical one, they will be proud to share details of the parents. You should be able to see pedigrees on the puppy and those pedigrees should list the titles earned by the dogs. Again, an ethical breeder will be able to point with pride to the things they have accomplished with their own dogs. They will be able to detail these accomplishments.

No ethical or responsible breeder would sell their puppies to someone else to resell them. The AMA code of ethics as well as similar codes from other breed clubs expressly prohibit selling to or through brokers or other middlemen.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Thanks Carina for the very educational information. I hope everyone here reads this and opens their eyes to the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
As always Carina, wise counsel and presented w/integrity.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
My husband and I came dangerously close to buying from one of these sneaky organization. We thought we were dealing with a breeder but at the same time we discovered SM. Thank goodness! They have personalized websites so when you search for i.e. Florida Maltese Breeder. The website pops up and you think it is a Florida Breeder -then after talking to them you discover these pups are all over the place and they have a lot of them!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Carina THANK you for your reminder how careful potential buyers must be! I am still shocked how much greed is out there for making $$ with selling puppies! Years ago I had a Maltese breeder with a good looking website contact me begging me to sell her my small already spayed double cute face female that was under a year old... She was persistent and I knew this is bizarre for a Maltese breeder to be asking me for a spayed female... I heard later that this same person did same thing to another breeder and resold the dog for more $$..? may or not be true what was told to me about her but I know my experience and it told me to be on the watch for greed motivated breeders. These kind of people their whole motive to make lots of $$ off of other's hard work by getting champion bloodlines etc. WE love this breed and I appreciate your threads to remind us of these issues. :aktion033:

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Just this week, I came across a case of Maltese in a local shelter. The Malt had been adopted out in December. The Malt came back to shelter this week from another owner. The current owner bought the dog on Craig's list. It was HW positive and owner couldn't afford treatment. The vet found the chip that said this dog came from the shelter so that is where the dog was surrendered. We now have a very sick dog, a heartbroken owner, and a greeder who is $500 richer. Please do your research make sure you know where your dog comes from. Thank you Carina for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Such a great reminder. I run in to this SO much when flagging posts on Craigslist. If you watch, you'll notice the same people, background, kids etc in the photos. These folks are repeatedly selling dogs with the same old song and dance stories. They are often brokers for the Mills or backyard breeders. Hoping everyone will remember to keep flagging these folks on Craigslist (and not just on selling Malts - you'll see it with all the big breeds and "hybrids") so we can at least reduce their revenue from one "selling" site. BTW, it is a violation of CL policy to "sell" dogs. Rehoming for a reasonable fee is permitted.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Great info Carina! Brokers are clever and many are downright dishonest. My neighbor was fooled into buying a puppy from one even though I shared with her ALL the warning signs. The broker flat out lied and said she was the breeder which I know for a fact she was not.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
There's a broker/puppy mill nearby to where I live who refers to her business with a "blah blah Kennel" name. In fact, she "breeds" over 24 different type of dogs. She presents her puppies in a meticulously clean environment and all of the puppies are in baby cribs. Sweet, right? The papers she gives people with her dogs all state that they were obtained from the worst mills in Missouri - and if you google the name on the papers it is always attached to auctions where the puppies are sold. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my sons school friends families support this business. She is beyond slick in her marketing techniques........ While I would not have chosen to go that way I started my search for my dogs on the AKC website.....and called plenty of Breeders that I now know are nothing more than backyard breeders. I credit this forum, the wonderful breeders and members here who are willing to share their expertise, the AMA list, another website and ethical breeders who took the time to "qualify" my intent and point me to other fine breeders with helping me to make an informed choice. Education, education, education because these brokers now even know exactly how to lie to potential customers. I consider myself really fortunate to have found this forum and am grateful for the friendships I have formed because of it even if I don't participate as often as I should.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Carina -- thanks for this great thread. Such a good reminder -- especially good information for newbies and 1st time buys.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
great post, carina! It's scary how slick brokers can be. I was tricked into getting a BYB from a broker in the past and it was a case of "I'm just helping this great breeder sell her dog, etc" and was fooled by likely fake pics of the parents. I was dumb and naive and wish I would have known better. Hopefully, others can learn from the mistakes of others!

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
great post, carina! It's scary how slick brokers can be. I was tricked into getting a BYB from a broker in the past and it was a case of "I'm just helping this great breeder sell her dog, etc" and was fooled by likely fake pics of the parents. I was dumb and naive and wish I would have known better. Hopefully, others can learn from the mistakes of others!
Same here Marisa. Good post. It is all about helping the dogs left behind to continue the supply of these "cute puppies" we swoon over in the photo. There is a real story behind that photo. Some may be good but many are a total mystery. I know you and I had the same experience as first time BYB buyers.

Usually just takes that one adorable photo and some well put together story and the naive buyer is hooked. With the WWW its far reaching now and many will trust who they meet on Internet and will begin online communications. This "letter writing" is what makes it more personal to us. It is always same story, you see some come here and when asked for the name of breeder the attacks begin and they disappear. :blink: they don't care though, they will always have FB. :w00t: Sad thing is some of these brokers believe what they do is a good service as they have never actually seen firsthand where these dogs are born or seen these people live showing in a ring. Its all about gaining trust and photos! You can use any photo to weave a good story online.

Its so easy to just find/ask a show breeder you actually know for guidance.
No breeder name = RUN.

Thanks Carina!! :aktion033:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
With more and more people educated about the dangers of buying from Pet Stores many Puppymills and BYB are turning to brokers to sell their puppies. Brokers are starting to find more ways to fool people. Brokers are slick. They often tell stories about how the puppies came into their possession. Be wary when you are looking as brokers often make good con artists and weave some amazing tales. With the way Facebook works there are new ways for brokers to reach out to potential puppy buyers. They may befriend people on FaceBook and haunt groups on looking for their next sale.

There are many forms of brokers, but a common one we have seen lately are the importers, these are folks who get puppies from overseas and sell them here in the US. Just like in the US, there are great breeders overseas and there are puppymills overseas. The same rules apply. Be sure you learn everything you can about the breeder. Diligence in your research is even more important if you are unable to visit the breeder personally.

Here are two ways to make sure that you are not dealing with a broker:
1. Meet the breeder in person and ask to meet the dam.
2. Make sure that the breeder's name listed on the AKC papers is the same name as the person you have bought your puppies from.

If you are unable to do either of these things for some reason, make sure you check out the breeder thoroughly. Ask tons of questions about the sire and dam of your puppies. If the breeder is an ethical one, they will be proud to share details of the parents. You should be able to see pedigrees on the puppy and those pedigrees should list the titles earned by the dogs. Again, an ethical breeder will be able to point with pride to the things they have accomplished with their own dogs. They will be able to detail these accomplishments.

No ethical or responsible breeder would sell their puppies to someone else to resell them. The AMA code of ethics as well as similar codes from other breed clubs expressly prohibit selling to or through brokers or other middlemen.
Carina, thank you. There is one on FB, that clearly states, she gets the pups from Korea. Teacup ones at that. I did write to her privately, very cordially, at first, she had her back up in the air, but then she realized, I was not writing to her for that.

What is more devastating, is there are over 10K of people, who like her page. and salivate over each baby. To me it's heartbreaking.

So we have a two-fold problem here:

1) A broker in the US importing puppies (again teacups)

2) With a heavy volume of interest, in buying one of these poor babies.

It actually broke my heart. The broker challenges openly, to find a cuter puppy anywhere else. Nothing about health.

I will never say any furbaby is not cute, because they are so precious, meaning furbabies in general. What I see, in these pups, that will mature to 2 pds, is suffering I honestly do. I just see eyes, and then suffering. Suffering on the Mom's and the Dad's of these pups, and then the pups themselves.

Even writing this, breaks my heart. Over 10,000 people, do not want to meet the breeder? See or know who is the parents? 10,000 people, do not want to learn about the breeder, and vice versa?

We get upset, and rightly so, at the breeders, whoever they are, and the brokers. But I honestly was floored, at the high volume of numbers, that want one of those babies so badly.

SM has taught me so much, yes absolutely. But this going on, instinctively, I wouldn't have had to be on a forum, to see the heartbreaking circus.

I love these precious beings so much, yes, as I said I wrote to the owner/broker. I was professional, and she got off on a rocky start, but we had a dialogue, and I voiced all my concerns, I voiced them for those who can not.

Sorry, don't mean to elaborate so much, but this is only one page on FB. And the ooohs and ahhhhs, of how cute these babies are, my eyes, just saw suffering.

And you can try so very hard, to educate, prospective puppy buyers, but honestly, they don't want to hear it.

So this is a double problem, and how do we fix that?

This is not a slick broker, she clearly comes out and says, she gets the puppies from the top Korean breeders.

And I'm sorry, but a poor little precious furbaby, whose eyes are bigger, than their bodies, is not cute, it's tragic. Poor little things, can't even put weight on their little legs, to walk.
Thank you for bringing this very important topic up, and I haven't a clue how to fix it. I did get all my concerns out to the broker, cordially, that's the only way, you will be heard.
But will that make a difference? no.

This is way beyond, not knowing better, and getting a pup from a pet store.

10,000 people, can not see, that the precious puppy, does not look right.

I am at a huge loss as to how do we fix this huge problem.

Thank you for bringing this topic up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts