Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok now that I figured out how to get the picture here
if anyone can help with why he has these brown spots and how to get rid of them. I am washing his face daily. He just had a bath on Sunday and he was pretty white but he is getting more dingy looking everyday and he only goes outside to potty. Should I give him another bath?

Thanks
Stefanie

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The brown spots are called tear stains. Some dogs you are able to get rid of them and some it is just genetics.

What do you feed him? What type of dish does he use for food and water? Do you give him tap water?

Some foods contain dyes that can cause staining. Plastic dishes can also cause stains. You should use stainless steel or ceramic. Try to wash the dishes every day. I have a bunch of dishes (you can get them for like half the price out of pet supply catalogs). Tap water can also cause stains. I know a lot of people (myself included) give their dogs bottled water, a lot use distilled water.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I noticed he has some brown spots on his legs. That is caused from him chewing on his fur. You might want to have the vet check him for allergies.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I think it was Msloke who uses a product called Angel's Glow and has had success. How old is your dog? Could he be teething? Also, you might want to check for an ear infection or ear mites. They can cause excessive staining as well. My dog does tend to get pink paws from the grass. Now that it's a bit colder here, they are definitely fading. During August, they were especially bad.

edited to add...I think he is adorable regardless of the stains. His face looks so sweet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I think he is pretty cute too I have wanted a maltese for so long. He looks a lot happier than he did when he first got here. I feel very fortunate to have him in our family. I can live with some of the tear stains but I wasn't sure why the rest of him was turning brown as well and if it was a health problem. I am thinking allergies as well. The previous owner was feeding him nutripet and I bought the bag from her so as not to upset his stomache. I would like to change his food and am open to any suggestions especially anyone else that has overcome allergy problems by changing their diet.
Stefanie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts