Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that kodie has a sore at the tip of his tail. It looks like a brush burn or something... it kinda looks raw.. it may even have bled alittle bit. He seems to be licking at it too...soo i dunno how this happened... is it from licking his tail? or did he get hurt? or is something else? Anyone heard of this?

I put peroxide it... i dunno what else to put on it.. and i am keeping his PJ's on so he cant get to his tail to lick it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
might be from him chewing on it...peroxide wont do much..he needs an antibiotic on it and if it is itchy then he needs something to stop that too.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Poor little Kodie. Could he have caught it on something? I agree that an antibiotic cream would be better than the peroxide.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
can u take a pic?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of cream? Can I use something over the counter of do I have to take him to the vet??

I tried taking a picture... and my camera just dont take close ups good at all.. you cant even see it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 21 2005, 10:28 PM
What kind of cream?  Can I use something over the counter of do I have to take him to the vet??

I tried taking a picture... and my camera just dont take close ups good at all.. you cant even see it. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36812
[/QUOTE]

Did you put it on the Macro setting... it is an icon of a flower... put the setting on that and you should be able to get a good close up... Don't use flash.. shoot in a brightly lit room....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well im apprehensive to tell u to use something over the counter cause if he licks it off i dont know what kinda probs that could cause esp. with his liver prob.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor Baby!!! Lots of kisses and hugs...hope it is better soon..

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm only scared that he might or could lose his hair on his tail! Our beagle was biting his tail and lost his hair on one spot and it never grew back!
Anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent him from gettin at his tail. I put PJ's on him last night after i applied the neosprin... (but now hes MATTED!!
)haha... I didnt put anything on him this morning cause i had to go to work so he cant have his PJs on... then he wont be able to pee or poo. My only option is his cone from his neutering.
We tried wrapping the end of the tail... but he pulled that off... (I think it wasnt tight enough). Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had two Irish setters many years ago and they had nicked the tip of their tails from wagging against a chain link fence. I remember seeing my white kitchen cabinets with blood on them ... looking like someone had taken a paint brush to them with red paint...

Anyway, clearing up something at the end of the tail is a challenge. My vet did wrap their tails and the bandage stayed on pretty well, as I recall. With a Malt, at least the tail is up over the back so it can hold the weight of the bandage.

I'd let the vet have a look at it.....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Awww! Poor Kodie!!!! I do think that a trip to the vet would be best to prevent an infection. Sorry I don't have any useful idea's.

By the way, I think Kodie is the cutest little thing!!!! Love your pics!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah u can put the cone on him, or do the bite not collar thing. also ..of course u may not want to do this, but shave the hair on the area so the meds get more on the spot than on the hair. it will grow back.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know everyone thinks i should take Kodie to the vet to have them look at it...
I was wondering... if after i applied the neosprin on the tip of his tail and now it looks like a scab is forming... wouldnt that be okay? Just to keep an eye on it?

I'm gonna bath him tonight soo.. i am hoping to maybe get a picture of his tail!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't think a vet is needed since it's scabbing. You should keep an eye on him and put his neuter collar on him when you can't watch him, so he doesn't pull the scab off. It should heal in a few days and he'll be back to normal. That's basically all the vet will do anyway. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alrite... here we go... Pictures of kodie's tail! (I kept the pics big so we could see it better)

and for added fun... (cause you cant really see his tail in this pic...)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts