Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on another thread that someone suggested not using the slicker brush as an overall brush. They suggested a pin brush instead. What is the difference? I am using a small size slicker brush and I was using it all over Izzy. I know we just discussed brushes not long ago (and that's what made me run out and purchase a slicker brush) but now I'm confused all over again.

What do you all recommend for daily maintence brushing?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 2 2005, 12:40 AM
I read on another thread that someone suggested not using the slicker brush as an overall brush.  They suggested a pin brush instead.  What is the difference?  I am using a small size slicker brush and I was using it all over Izzy.  I know we just discussed brushes not long ago (and that's what made me run out and purchase a slicker brush) but now I'm confused all over again.

What do you all recommend for daily maintence brushing?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39162
[/QUOTE]

Here are a couple threads that should be a big help.....

Grooming Pictoral from JMM

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1824&hl=

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When Lady is in a puppy cut, I do use a soft slicker on her very gently. I have the A#1 All Systems slickers. JMM recommends the Chris Christensen slicker and since I value her opinion, I may try one this summer.

I use a pin brush during the colder months when Lady's coat is longer. You need a good quality one without pins which aren't available in pet stores. A#1 All Systems pin brushes with white pads are one of the best. They run about $15. I have heard Hindes brushes are good if you want a less expensive ($8 or $9) brush. Pet Edge carries them, I think.

My new favorite brush is the Chris Christensen Gold Series pin brush. Charmypoo recommended it (and look how gorgeous her dogs are!) Lady doesn't have the same proper coat as her dogs, though. Lady's coat is more cottony and this brush does an awesome job on it. I swore by the All Systems brush until I tried this one. It's ridiculously expensive, over $30, though.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I read somewhere that slicker brushes are okay for pups in a puppy cut. It's the long haired pups that could get damaged hair from slickers. I'm no brush expert though

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have a #1 All Systems Slicker and would never dream of using it for the entire coat. I tried brushing my head with it and ouch!!! I am not even concerned about hair breakage but it hurts when it touches the skin. For areas like under the arms and the foot, it tends to mat easier so the slicker is good to use. My two cents.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use a natural bristle brush on Pico and it works just fine. He loves to be brushed with it and I can spray the PurePaws spray on conditioner on the brush and his coat gets conditioned and perfumed at the same time.

I do go over him occasionally with a steel wide toothed comb for mats but he just doesn't mat up like he did as a baby. I usually find a mat on his tummy or flanks where he may have been licking himself but his chest, back and neck are always fine.

The natural bristle gets the loose hairs out of his coat and I think those cause matting as much as anything else. It's funny that I have never heard of anyone recommending the natural bristle and I wonder why? It's non-drying, easy on the hair shaft and gives Pico a massage at the same time. You should see him leap onto my lap when I pick up that brush and then see how he hangs his head and his body sways as he relaxes while I am brushing him.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am trying to visualize how a natural bristle brush would penetrate the coat........

Seems like it would just skim the surface, but maybe I am thinking of human brushes. What does your brush look like?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Which would be better for daily use then for a pup in a puppy cut? Pin brush? Should I get a slicker one too? I saw the grooming thread from JMM; so many brushes :eek: . I will probably get one from #1 all systems or the Chris C. ones. With the Greyhound comb, what is that used/needed for? Matts? I can't seem to find the fine/med. ones, I keep seeing the fine/course combs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Snoopychan,
I would suggest you get the pin brush (both #1 All Systems and Chris Christensen are great - I have several from each brand). The greyhound comb or any tooth comb can be used for combing out a littleknot or mat. A fine tooth one is good for around the face. Use the rat tail combs when doing a top knot. If you want, the v-shape slicker brushes are good for under the arms and foot.

On a short coat, both a pin brush or comb would be fine. A pin brush covers more area and is easier on them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JMM pictorial cleared something up for me. I was confusing the slicker brush with the pin brush. I don't have a pin brush, I've been using the slicker brush as an all over brush on Izzy.

I can NOT tell my DH that we need to purchase yet another thing for IzzyBella.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Mar 2 2005, 09:05 PM
Snoopychan,
I would suggest you get the pin brush (both #1 All Systems and Chris Christensen are great - I have several from each brand).  The greyhound comb or any tooth comb can be used for combing out a littleknot or mat.  A fine tooth one is good for around the face.  Use the rat tail combs when doing a top knot.  If you want, the v-shape slicker brushes are good for under the arms and foot.

On a short coat, both a pin brush or comb would be fine.  A pin brush covers more area and is easier on them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39462
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I think i'll start off with the pin brush and a comb.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lady's Mom, the brush with natural bristles IS a human brush! I stole it from my hubby for Pico. It does not penetrate like the pin or slicker brush but it definitely removes loose hair, which is one of the reasons I keep using it. And since Pico doesn't really mat anymore (maybe because the brush removes the loose hair that mats) it is our favorite for daily grooming.

The second reason I use it is that he loves the massage he gets from it.

I do use a pin brush when blow-drying him to lift the hair and fluff it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts