Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, I know we were suppose to brush their teeth sooner or later. I just didnt know when. My vet never even told me and they KNEW I was a newbie in doggy care issues. My cousin was like, "YOU DONT BRUSH THEIR TEETH!" For some reason I thought you start doing it when their a year old.

What do you guys use and how often do you brush? There's also these treats I heard about that you can give them and it loosens up their tartar. Are you able to brush less often if you use that? I bought these sticker stuff you stick on your finger and you clean their teeth with your finger. It was cheap, but I'm a little hesitant to use it. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use greenies and brush his teeth a couple times a month with a doggy toothpaste. I too never knew you were supposed to. Never did my outside dogs.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I read somewhere (not sure where) about a great way to brush their teeth. I bought doggie tooth paste and a tooth brush (regular type, not the finger one). Put tooth paste on the tooth brush and work it down into the bristles. You then give it to the dog to chew on. Lexi thinks its a treat. She will chew on the tooth brush when ever she can get to it. I usually hold it for her and change the direction of the tooth brush every so often. I think she does a better job of brushing her teeth then I ever would. Plus it is not a struggle to get it done.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think that the only reason i started brushing the dogs teeth while they were puppies is so that they get used to it.
but definitely do it because malts are known for bad teeth. i brush their teeth like i brush mine, but with doggy poultry flavored toothpaste. and they have doggy mouthwash at petsmart too! i use that after brushing.
and they love the taste.

J

·
0 Posts
I take a baby toothbrush, put doggy toothpaste on it, put the toothpaste down in the bristles, freeze the toothbrush, then give to Lacey. She thinks it is a treat. I do this once a day for her and so far (knock on wood) her teeth are very clean.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imma try the toothbrush thing and see if I can make it a fun-recreational thing for them. I let them eat human food on weekends so I'm sure that makes their mouth/teeth even dirtier! Arrgggh, I wish I knew earlier! Well, least I got the plucking of their ears down! I started that REAL early! WOOHOO
Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sorry, i was searching for 10 minutes for the mouthwash, but i couldnt find it online. i saw the stuff that you pour in water. anyway, i got it from my vet, and i was pretty sure that i saw it at petsmart, but petsmart.com doesnt have it on their site.
i'll look at the bottle today and tell you what the brand is.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, Tiki just turned two and we never brush his teeth.

Dont fret now, I will explain!

We had some difficulty when we first tried and the vet recommended the Rx dental food. It cleans his teeth when he eats. He also chews on greenies, nyla bone, and one of those gloves you use in the shower for exfoliating. These all work together to keep those teeth really clean! I thought I would have to have the vet clean his teeth, but so far so good... his teeth are white and shiny :D

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ellie and gruffi seem as though they dont need their teeth clean, but if one has to do it---all three have to suffer! lol. seriously, gruffi and ellie LOVE the taste of the doggy toothpaste and mouthwash and sit and wait till i get everything ready.

the dog mouhwash--i forgot to explain how it works. it sorta looks like a bottle you dye your hair with. it has a nozzle like that. and you just squirt on their teeth and along the gumline. they're allowed to drink it. sometimes i use it as a treat for gruffi. lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
HAHAHA LOL! I can just see Gruffi sitting there cheesn' with a big 'ole grin, waiting for you to pour some mouthwash on his gums LOL! omygosh! LOL

PULEASE take a pic of that!

Brit does NOT let me brush her teeth, but she will knaw on my finger when I put on the little rubber finger brush, but she always uses the right side of her mouth
'
I wish they had some peanut butter flavoured paste, she L.O.V.E.S. peanut butter... but I might try the frozen tooth brush treat, that sounds fun!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
lexis mom, thanks
mine looks sorta like that.

i will definitely take pics of me brushing their teeth...soon.
i love going on this site, and it sucks because with school work and not having internet at home...im not able to go on here as much.

i forgot to tell everyone...we bought a house!! well, its more like land, and now we have to build our house. its not that big, like 23,000 sq feet(but its super expensive here in valencia). we're going to build like an 8,000 sq ft house though. i want a HUGE family room so that the dogs can run around. and upstairs we're going to have 4 master bedrooms and bathrooms. and a bonus room so that the dogs can have some more room to run around.

BUT...its going to take a year and half to 2 years to get it designed and built. so we're going to buy another house at the end of the year so i'm DEFINITELY going to get wireless internet, and i really really want a sony vaio, this one

sony vaio tr series

i just have to save up money! lol.
we'll see if it ever happens. anyway, i gotta go do homework. bye

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
im totally excited. we've been wanting a house for sooo long. we had to move out of the house i grew up in (of 16 yrs. my mom had lived there for 27 yrs) because my dad stopped paying for the mortgage. so we lived in a town home for the past 6 yrs and now we're renting a house. you actually forget how nice it is to have a house. my brother already bought his land. we're going to be living across the street from him. lol.

my sister was going to buy a house last year, but they were all sold out. we didnt get the house and i was soo upset. when we found out that we could buy this land, my sister was like "see cathy, waiting isnt bad, sometimes you have to wait till the right thing comes up".

it still feels like one of those "its too good to be true" moments.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dr. Cathy CONGRADULATIONS! Oh my gosh, that's so great to be able to build your dream home and have 4 FREAKIN MASTER BEDROOM! haha. So cute that you want to accommodate your dogs as much as possible. I wish my house had a big area so they can play like that!

Just to let you guys know, I tried the sticker teeth brusher thing you use...the one where you stick on your finger. I don't like it! It got unstuck to my finger and stuck to his hair! LOL I'm going to try the tooth brush. And my baby didn't bite me hard. He was actually licking alot more! Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow! DoctorCathy, that is a big house. Just think, the SM Forum can all come visit! We'll bring Aero beds and sleeping bags and our Maltese can play together and won't it be fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts