Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been brushing skittle every day. I'm using a comb that has the two sizes of openings and my Madden brush. At times when I'm doing her legs, tail or chest/stomach she actually snaps in a very nasty way with a nasty short growl. I know this is her way of telling me it hurt or two stop. Any suggestions to help me get her to be more receptive when grooming? Oh, I do try and do it when she is more relaxed and tired. I also give her treats when she is doing well and staying put and nice.

Also, how often should I bathe her? She is really yellow and nasty on her under side due to urin. I have done a sponge type bath with just warm water but it's very hard to get to that area. It's not like she rolls over and lets me in. Ideas for this would also be helpful.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Maybe you could get your groomer to cut the belly part of her hair short and the legs shorter and just leave her upper body long...I did that with Bailey when she was younger and going through her coat change she would matt up but she out grow that phase and no more matting.:)

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I've been brushing skittle every day. I'm using a comb that has the two sizes of openings and my Madden brush. At times when I'm doing her legs, tail or chest/stomach she actually snaps in a very nasty way with a nasty short growl. I know this is her way of telling me it hurt or two stop. Any suggestions to help me get her to be more receptive when grooming? Oh, I do try and do it when she is more relaxed and tired. I also give her treats when she is doing well and staying put and nice.

Also, how often should I bathe her? She is really yellow and nasty on her under side due to urin. I have done a sponge type bath with just warm water but it's very hard to get to that area. It's not like she rolls over and lets me in. Ideas for this would also be helpful.
Never have had a girl, but...most bathe every 7 to 10 days. Are you training her to lie on her back? If not, it comes in very handy for brushing, and grooming. While she's on her back give her a little message until you feel her relax, then start to brush. A little trim will help keep her area clean. As for the legs area sometimes there are littlee tangles that will pull and probably hurt when you try to comb through them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts