Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brush Koa's hair every day for about 45 minutes... he has a puppy cut so his hair is very short, but the entire process seems much harder than it should be. I am using a comb, recommended by the pet store, and it really pulls at Koa's skin. I try to brush slowly, and help the hair through the comb with my fingers (instead of just ripping the comb out) but it still seems to hurt him. Occasionally he yelps, but usually he just tries to bite my hands and the comb. His hair is so coarse and never seems to soften up like pictures I've seen of Maltese.

We are using a Shampoo/Conditioner combo for dogs with a spray in conditioner for dogs. (I try to use the spray in every time before brushing him.) Recently I've used some of my own conditioner to see if that makes a difference and it does not, so I don't know if I want to spend money on an expensive dog conditioner.

How much time per day do you spend brushing your dog's hair? And how long is it? Is it normal to spend 45 minutes on a Maltese's hair if he has a puppy cut? (I don't mind... I just worry there is something wrong with his fur.)

Koa and I thank you for your response.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How old is Koa? It definitely sounds like you are hurting if he is yelping. Are you brushing dry hair, or misting the hair with a leave in conditioner? I think 45 minutes in one sitting may be too long for your baby, maybe break it up into some mini sessions. The biting at your hand and the comb could have more to do with needing to get used to being groomed than hurting. Sorry, I know I am not much help...but Koa is so cute in your siggy pics!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree, 45 min. seems to be a long time and I think if he's yelping u r hurting him. Summer's hair is pretty silky,if she does get a knot to close to the skin I CUT it out.. Her hair is about 3in.long. I comb her 1's a day we use a pin brush and a comb. Brush then comb threw the hair ,it takes about 10 to 15 mins. she doesn't like it yet and she will be 1 in Dec.

Good luck
just keep giving her treats after and phrase.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been reading on this website and it looks like the problem might be that he has "cottony" hair... I read one post that said you don't even need to brush cottony hair every day, so maybe I am doing too much. I read somewhere else that people just use a brush on this type of hair (not a comb). I'll try this for a few days and see if he gets better. His hair is only 1.5-2 inches.

We've also been doing all of Koa's grooming on our own, so maybe we'll try taking him to a professional and see if she has any comments about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You mentioned that the comb you use was recommended by the pet store. Unfortunately, pet stores don't carry the brushes and combs you want to use on a Maltese coat. I say "unfortunately" because you may have to join those of us who have spent a small fortune on grooming tools!

My favorites are from Chris Christensen. They are like the Lexus' of grooming tools, though! But if Koa has a cottony coat like my Lady, I can't recommend these products enough.

I have the 27 mm Gold Series pin brush, a Buttercomb and the Mark I slicker for Lady.

Here's the website:

http://www.chrissystems.com/

Do read this and take the tip test:

http://www.chrissystems.com/tiptest.htm

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 4 2005, 02:36 PM
You mentioned that the comb you use was recommended by the pet store. Unfortunately, pet stores don't carry the brushes and combs you want to use on a Maltese coat. I say "unfortunately" because you may have to join those of us who have spent a small fortune on grooming tools!

My favorites are from Chris Christensen. They are like the Lexus' of grooming tools, though! But if Koa has a cottony coat like my Lady, I can't recommend these products enough.

I have the 27 mm Gold Series pin brush, a Buttercomb and the Mark I slicker for Lady.

Here's the website:

http://www.chrissystems.com/

Do read this and take the tip test:

http://www.chrissystems.com/tiptest.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116633
[/QUOTE]
I just got my CC buttercomb #006 in the mail yesterday. I LOVE IT!!! One of my co-workers is going to order one for her maltese after hearing me talk about it. LOL

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I also got the Day to Day kit. Both the girls are getting baths this weekend so we can try out the shampoo, conditioner and rinse. I'll let you guess know what I think.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it sounds like I shouldn't even be using a comb with Koa's cottony hair... is that right? We have a brush as well, but I thought that wasn't thorough enough so I only use it to brush his hair while blowdrying after a bath. I'll try the brush for a few days and see how that goes...

Considering he has cottony hair with a puppy cut, how often and for how long should I brush him? 15 minutes? Every day? Every other day?

Thanks! :)

PS Thanks for the info on CC... my husband will never let me spend that much for a brush though (regardless if it's for me or our dog!) As it is, he regularly complains about how much I spend on dog carriers and expensive pet food. We live in HI and *everyone* here has a small dog, so I think our local pet stores might be better supplied with grooming tools for little, fluffy creatures. :) I did the tip test on the comb we're using and it didn't scratch my skin. Supposedly it specially designed to not "rake" your dog's skin (or so the package says.) It was pretty expensive too, but not as much as CC. I guess I shouldn't be using a comb though... that seems to be the problem. Thanks again though for all of your help!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It should not take 45 minutes to go through his coat.

If he's in a puppy cut, you can use either a pin brush or a super soft (Chris Christensen) slicker brush.

Spritz the coat lightly with conditioner before brushing. Brush small sections at a time, making sure you get down to the skin. Be gentle. You shouldn't be scraping his skin when you brush. After you brush, go through the coat with a comb to be sure you didn't miss any knots.

It took me 20 minutes to do a brush out on a dog in full coat.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You are not going to believe what I am using for Alex. I don't have all that fancy stuff.

- people comb
- kid pin brush
- dog rake comb
- dog small soft slicker brush

Does not take me 45 minutes to brush him not even if he has matts. His body is short, but the legs, tail, ears and beard are long. You should not pull his skin when brushing or combing. That hurts. When I take a matt out, I put my left hand behind the matt and hold tight, and with my other hand holding the comb or brush I get rid of the matt. When you hold the hair behind the matt, the hair will not pull on the skin when you go through the matt and pull. Even without matts, I always put my hand on top of the roots of the part being brushed to keep the skin down and not being pulled.

Here you can have a laugh at my expense :

1 - 11 of 11 Posts