Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you train your dogs to like being brushed? I use a treat when I'm brushing him, but it seems to hurt him, so he's avoiding the brush now.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Aug 23 2005, 12:49 PM
How do you train your dogs to like being brushed?  I use a treat when I'm brushing him, but it seems to hurt him, so he's avoiding the brush now. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93426
[/QUOTE]

If you are hurting him with the brush, your technique is probably wrong.

You should brush the coat in small sections, layer by layer. Brush just the end, then from a little further to the skin, closer until you are at the skin brushing all the way out. Continue your stroke past the end of the coat so you keep your wrist flat and don't flick it up as you come to the end of the coat. It is much easier to see in person...if he came from a reputable breeder, ask for a lesson.

What type of brush are you using?

I find it much easier to brush with my dog laying on its side. I flip the coat back and then brush small sections.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by JMM+Aug 23 2005, 07:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bridge
@Aug 23 2005, 12:49 PM
How do you train your dogs to like being brushed?  I use a treat when I'm brushing him, but it seems to hurt him, so he's avoiding the brush now.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93426
If you are hurting him with the brush, your technique is probably wrong.

You should brush the coat in small sections, layer by layer. Brush just the end, then from a little further to the skin, closer until you are at the skin brushing all the way out. Continue your stroke past the end of the coat so you keep your wrist flat and don't flick it up as you come to the end of the coat. It is much easier to see in person...if he came from a reputable breeder, ask for a lesson.

What type of brush are you using?

I find it much easier to brush with my dog laying on its side. I flip the coat back and then brush small sections.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93517
[/B][/QUOTE]
I use one of those pinhead brushes. I think I know what you mean, I'll try it. Anyone else?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JMM@Aug 23 2005, 09:04 PM
You might buy a new brush. Try a #1 All Systems 27 mm with the white pad. You shouldn't be scraping against the skin, just brushing down to it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93557
[/QUOTE]
He's got little mats in his hair, that's when it hurts. Can I order the brush on-line?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge+Aug 24 2005, 08:49 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Aug 23 2005, 09:04 PM
You might buy a new brush. Try a #1 All Systems 27 mm with the white pad. You shouldn't be scraping against the skin, just brushing down to it.
He's got little mats in his hair, that's when it hurts. Can I order the brush on-line?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93609
[/B][/QUOTE]

If he has matts in his hair you should not use the brush. That will just make the matt more tighter as you pull down on the brush. First you need to separate the matts with you fingers then try using a small comb with some conditioner to loosen it up. I always hold the matt at the bottom near the skin, so my finger is just above. that way if I happen to tug a little it will not hurt Chelsey.
Do not give your puppy a bath until all the matts are out first.

I don't want to be a product pusher but this stuff really works and it will help both you and puppy. Get the Bless the Beast Detangle Shampoo it is really good with matts.
And then you will be able to brush him without him hurting.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Take a look at JMM topic pictorial.

It disscusses matting . How to brush and were to by the brushes on line.
The topic is really helpfull.

here is the link

JMM Pictorial

Also here is a topic going on right now started by Violet's Mom that will give you an idea about different shampoos. It also has the links were you can purchase on line.

Shampoo

Enjoy

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I'm checking out Bless the Beasts detangle shampoo and the A1 systems brush. Can you get Bless the Beasts anywhere else but on-line? The S&H is killing me.

I just bought a Yogi doggy potty for Bailey. It looks simpler than the Wizdog, and I heard it's more comfortable on their feet. It will take some time to train him to go on that as opposed to the litter box, but it's worth not always wiping his feet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico never liked the pin brush or the slicker brush, no matter how carefully I used them. I think it was the sound they made.

Anyway, I've been brushing him ever since he lost his puppy coat with a paddle type natural bristle brush and he loves it! Since he is in a puppy cut it seems to do the trick as far as removing any loose hairs that could cause mats and he just loves to be brushed. I do always use Pure Paws spray when brushing him and then I go over him with a steel comb to find any mats and I have to say I rarely find any.

For his mustache, which gets really crinkled up, I hold his 'stache with my second and middle finger close to his muzzle and spritz a little grooming spray on it and then comb it out with the steel comb. It cleans the boogers out and smooths the hairs at the same time. Holding the mustache keeps the comb from tugging the hairs.

I never thought I'd see the day but he actually dozes off when I get to the combing part of the grooming. Of course, I am super gentle in case I hit a mat.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Aug 24 2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info.  I'm checking out Bless the Beasts detangle shampoo and the A1 systems brush.  Can you get Bless the Beasts anywhere else but on-line?  The S&H is killing me.

I just bought a Yogi doggy potty for Bailey.  It looks simpler than the Wizdog, and I heard it's more comfortable on their feet.  It will take some time to train him to go on that as opposed to the litter box, but it's worth not always wiping his feet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93787
[/QUOTE]

I don't know . I live in canada and they do not sell it here anymore... because of the shipping charges. I also have to order it online. I have found QVC to be really cheap. I purchase two at one time. so only payed 4 dollers shipping. Compaired to 10.00 U.S over charge for Canada on the direct line + GST+PST = 16.00 then and other 5.60 when it got to my door and that was just for one bottle not the 3 pack at QVC.
If anything go with QVC if on line.. I don't know where you can get it in a store in the U.S

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 25 2005, 01:04 PM
Pico never liked the pin brush or the slicker brush, no matter how carefully I used them.  I think it was the sound they made.

Anyway, I've been brushing him ever since he lost his puppy coat with a paddle type natural bristle brush and he loves it!  Since he is in a puppy cut it seems to do the trick as far as removing any loose hairs that could cause mats and he just loves to be brushed.  I do always use Pure Paws spray when brushing him and then I go over him with a steel comb to find any mats and I have to say I rarely find any.

For his mustache, which gets really crinkled up, I hold  his 'stache with my second and middle finger close to his muzzle and spritz a little grooming spray on it and then comb it out with the steel comb.  It cleans the boogers out and smooths the hairs at the same time.  Holding the mustache keeps the comb from tugging the hairs.

I never thought I'd see the day but he actually dozes off when I get to the combing part of the grooming.  Of course, I am super gentle in case I hit a mat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93991
[/QUOTE]
Can I buy Pure Paws spray in a pet store? I just priced Bless the Beasts on-line, and it's too pricy with the shipping and handling. Thanks, I'll try it.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Aug 24 2005, 09:15 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2005, 08:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Aug 23 2005, 09:04 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93609

[/QUOTE]

If he has matts in his hair you should not use the brush. That will just make the matt more tighter as you pull down on the brush. First you need to separate the matts with you fingers then try using a small comb with some conditioner to loosen it up. I always hold the matt at the bottom near the skin, so my finger is just above. that way if I happen to tug a little it will not hurt Chelsey.
Do not give your puppy a bath until all the matts are out first.

I don't want to be a product pusher but this stuff really works and it will help both you and puppy. Get the Bless the Beast Detangle Shampoo it is really good with matts.
And then you will be able to brush him without him hurting.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93616
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Bridge, as yo get into this, you'll probbaly find that the stuff you can buy in pet shops isn't nearly as good as the stuff you can buy in catalogues and priced so much higher that paying shipping is worth it. (Remember, on-line shopping is tax free, too)

For example, you probably bought a pin brush with ball tips if you got it in a pet store. Ball tips snag and break the hair. The A#1 All Systems pin brush JMM recommended is a wonderful brush for most Maltese coats.

PetEdge is a great catalogue to request and order from when you are starting out. They carry many different types of things so you aren't paying all those separate shipping charges. I kept a running list when I first adopted Lady and when I got to $50, I'd place an order.

http://www.petedge.com/index.jsp?

Bless the Beasts from QVC is a great deal and a $4 shipping is pretty good. You will probably find down the line that you waste a lot of money by experimenting with products. I take recommendations, especially form JMM and have never been steered wrong!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts