Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people have babies that are bullies? What I mean is they are the ones that kind of "pick" on the other dogs by barking at them, etc.

I know Lexi is a bully.
We are trying to work on this and sometimes she is good but most of the time she is a bully. Unfortunatly she is teaching this to Nikki.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first Malt, Rosebud, was like that but I don't think she was being a bully. I think she was saying, "I'm so scared of you so I'm going to bark and sound mean and hope that you'll leave me alone." I think a lot of time when our babies seem like bullies that they are in reality just big ole "scaredy cats."

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey barks at other dogs too. She acts like a bully but what is really going on is she is afraid of the other dogs. We are working on our social skills.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tyler is definitely a bully. When my friend brought her dog over to play, tyler sniffed him and then snapped at him!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Massimo only bullies my kids....well, not anymore. But when he sees other dogs he just stands there and lets them sniff....then he sniffs them. He gets along great with other dogs if they arent' near me.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lexi is a total brat when she meets new dogs. She tries to tell the other dog that she is the alpha. She will bark, growl, and snap at the other dog. Usually after the other dog barks or growls back at her they are best friends. Until then she will carry on. A couple of months ago when my neighbors got their puppy this continued for 2 weeks. Finally the puppy barked back. They've been best friends ever since.

One of my new neighbors have a westie that after the second meeting bark/growled back and lexi and snapped at her. LOL! She is afraid of the dog now. She wants nothing to do with him. He is a sweet dog too. He just got sick of her bullying him.

I'm really glad that Nikki growled back at Lexi right away. That got the hole alpha dog thing out of the way really quickly.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
my girl is usually real nice but can become a bully if another dog is in my home, and if the other dog is younger than her, she'll become kinda mean..she doesnt bark, but can snap or growl

·
Registered
595 Posts
Puddy is definately the bully of the neighborhood! I think he has small dog syndrome. He thinks he's a rotti trapped in a cat sized body!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As I mentioned on the other thread...I have a total BULLY here. Miko looks so sweet but goes after every bigger dog than him (which as you can imagine is most dogs). With dogs his size or smaller, he is a total sweetie. I am so frustrated with him. On one hand...at least he keeps danger at bay because I know that he is bad with bigger dogs so I avoid them. However, I always had dreams of owning a golden retriever or a big sweet dog like that one day. Lets just hope he won't be bullying our kids one day.

I was thinking about my reply and thought that I should be honest...Miko even bullies me around!!! Ughhhhh

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 4 2005, 09:51 AM
Just wondering how many people have babies that are bullies?  What I mean is they are the ones that kind of "pick" on the other dogs by barking at them, etc.

I know Lexi is a bully. 
We are trying to work on this and sometimes she is good but most of the time she is a bully.  Unfortunatly she is teaching this to Nikki.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87157
[/QUOTE]

By the way...this is a great thread!!! I also think off and on about getting another dog and one of my concerns is that Miko would 1) bully the other puppy around and 2) teach other puppy to be a bully!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by okw@Aug 4 2005, 03:49 PM
As I mentioned on the other thread...I have a total BULLY here.  Miko looks so sweet but goes after every bigger dog than him (which as you can imagine is most dogs).  With dogs his size or smaller, he is a total sweetie.  I am so frustrated with him.  On one hand...at least he keeps danger at bay because I know that he is bad with bigger dogs so I avoid them.  However, I always had dreams of owning a golden retriever or a big sweet dog like that one day. Lets just hope he won't be bullying our kids one day.

I was thinking about my reply and thought that I should be honest...Miko even bullies me around!!!  Ughhhhh
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87229
[/QUOTE]
Your post was what gave me the idea! I was like OMG! That sounds just like Lexi! Kind of makes me happy to know I'm not the only one with a dog like that.
I've had Lexi start barking at something and people look around expecting to see a huge dog, but all they see is Lexi! LOL They always get this suprised look on their faces.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Little C is a HUGE bully...but only with my friend's dogs (a maltese and a poodle). She's nice to all other dogs. Sir N is a bully, but only to young/active dogs. He likes the slower-paced seniors and the inactive young dogs. Oh, and sick dogs....dogs that are too sick to be jumping around---he's really nice to those dogs. Otherwise, he has, in his past, tried to take on more than one pitt bull, numerous German Shepards, Rottweilers, a greyhound, an English sheepdog, etc. etc. He's friendlier to Jindo dogs....not sure why.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Aug 4 2005, 04:49 PM
As I mentioned on the other thread...I have a total BULLY here.  Miko looks so sweet but goes after every bigger dog than him (which as you can imagine is most dogs).  With dogs his size or smaller, he is a total sweetie.  I am so frustrated with him.  On one hand...at least he keeps danger at bay because I know that he is bad with bigger dogs so I avoid them.  However, I always had dreams of owning a golden retriever or a big sweet dog like that one day. Lets just hope he won't be bullying our kids one day.

I was thinking about my reply and thought that I should be honest...Miko even bullies me around!!!  Ughhhhh
[/QUOTE]

My first Malt, Rosebud, bullied me around, too. K & C don't do that at all and the experience with them is so much better. If you can do a few things to let him know who's boss, you will enjoy him even more than you do now.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 4 2005, 03:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Aug 4 2005, 04:49 PM

My first Malt, Rosebud, bullied me around, too. K & C don't do that at all and the experience with them is so much better. If you can do a few things to let him know who's boss, you will enjoy him even more than you do now.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87261
[/B][/QUOTE]

As I mentioned before, we have done the "nothing in life is free approach", we met with behaviorist, talked to trainers and we constantly work on alpha issues and its really not a problem now. And when I say that, I am not just in denial either - I know when he acts out and exactly how I should be working with him. I was half-kidding about Miko bullying me. As I am alone with Miko now, I notice that alpha issues are non-existent when its just me and Miko. It seems that when there are more than 2 of us (with my husband around), that he feels we need a leader!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
This thread made me think of a trip to the PetsMart about a week ago. Imagine if you can, here I am with Frosty and Dafney ( I desperately needed to get their nails clipped and did not have the time to do it myself and get ready to go out of town) along with my three skin kids: Kiersten 3, Caleb 4 1/2, and Hunter 7. I had just gotten Frosty a pink purse like carrier which I used for her on this trip. Frosty decided she didn't like her carrier and kept trying to get out, and she could. Dafney decided she wouldn't behave either on her leash. Caleb and Hunter were fighting over who should be able to hold whichever dog was not getting their nails clipped. Dafney must have smelled another dog on the floor so she had to pee a HUGE puddle
and Kiersten felt the need to tell everyone! We finally get done and are going through the store to pick up some new pads for the crates, and a few other things. I had both of the pups in the buggy (I don't like them walking on the floor in the pet stores) and all of a sudden they both go CRAZY! One of the employees had a HUGE great dane. Frosty and Dafney are barking and growling and trying to jump out of the buggy to get to this dog that could have eaten them in 1 bite. What do we do with these fearless white furballs?

·
Registered
831 Posts
My girls are bullies too, mostly Daezie.

At the doggie park, they are know as "The Divas"

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Back when Sir N and I lived in that state just north of Texas, we were rather notorious in the local city park. People would tell other down the path if we were there. Sir N terrorized quite a few dogs and we were forced to always leave the path whenever another dog was present because he was bent on ripping their intestines out through their noses.
One big tough looking guy with a big tough looking German Shepard REALLY hated me and Sir N because his dog was so afraid of Sir N. He claimed that the dog was fearless until he met my little one. I was half afraid I'd someday be hit with a court order to pay for a dog therapist for that dog.

Thankfully, since Little C entered our lives, he has calmed down a LOT.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Zoey just wants to play (not a mean bone in her body), bur FIRST she has to establish her Alpha dominance!!!!! It can be very embarrassing...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Peechie's a bully. She bullies the cats by barking at them. I just think its because she's jealous and has to be #1. But, then again they all do get along. Sometimes they lay next to each other. She just has to state her opinion that she's #1.

Peechie's Mom - Karen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts