Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times"> I was thinking of getting these as an alternative to rawhide chews. I was just wondering how long you are supposed to let your supposed to let your malt chew on these? Is it ok for them to have a whole one each day? Also, where can I buy some good ones?
thanks
</span>

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The one time I bought Sunny a bully stick, he ate the whole thing in like 20min. I guess that means they really like them but I had thought they were a longer lasting chew.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jul 19 2005, 01:52 AM
The one time I bought Sunny a bully stick, he ate the whole thing in like 20min.  I guess that means they really like them but I had thought they were a longer lasting chew.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82677
[/QUOTE]
I have bought them for my dogs for years. My sheltie will work on one for weeks. They come in sizes. Go with the biggest and thickest. Sometimes they are all dried and shriveled up. Skip those and sort through for the meatiest. Maybe if you do that they will last longer. i didn't think a small dog could go through one so fast. I don't ever give rawhide. i think it is not safe. ive heard too many dogs with surgeries to remove it. Having said that, maybe some dogs are just too aggressive with chew treats and shouldn't have thinks they can consume large pieces. maybe it is an issue with the dog, not the rawhide?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
bully sticks are hard to get a large chunk off. so they're way safer and they are harder to chew and stuff. sprite only likes them when they are chewed a little---cuz they're softer. LOL. she's lazy. and i agree, get the thickest and longest you can find. we had a post about this before...the difference between bully sticks and pizzle sticks in my household. lol.

these are bullysticks:

this was at the malt meetup at my house

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jul 19 2005, 07:39 AM
bully sticks are hard to get a large chunk off.  so they're way safer and they are harder to chew and stuff.  sprite only likes them when they are chewed a little---cuz they're softer.  LOL.  she's lazy.  and i agree, get the thickest and longest you can find.  we had a post about this before...the difference between bully sticks and pizzle sticks in my household.  lol.

these are bullysticks:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82748
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">oh my gosh :eek: those are so long! where did get those?</span>

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey loves the booda bones...I get her the large size and she can chew one in a day. I will have to try the bully sticks. Lacey is what is called an aggressive chewer. She has never chewed on anything she isn't suppose to, but it can get to be a little expensive when she can chew a booda bone in a day and expect another one the next day. Does Petsmart or Petco carry the bully sticks?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Okay I went searching for bully sticks.

Petsmart has the long ones and Petco carries the Redbarn bully sticks but they are only about 5 inches long. You can order online from both places. I am sure that there are places that have better prices so maybe someone here will post a link.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my petsmart doesnt carry them!!!
it sucks.

there's two places here in santa clarita:

in valencia: Bree's Pet Depot...but i dont like buying from there cuz they sell dogs and they are like $10/each (i had to buy 3 there one time cuz we ran out...and its 2 minutes from my house)

and in canyon country: Pet Adventure...they are a little more than $7 there.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jul 19 2005, 10:39 AM
bully sticks are hard to get a large chunk off.  so they're way safer and they are harder to chew and stuff.  sprite only likes them when they are chewed a little---cuz they're softer.  LOL.  she's lazy.  and i agree, get the thickest and longest you can find.  we had a post about this before...the difference between bully sticks and pizzle sticks in my household.  lol.

these are bullysticks:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82748
[/QUOTE]
I've never seen bully sticks that large!! Wow! Its kinda funny looking at that tiny chihuahua trying to chew that huge stick! :lol:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this one has great prices. im thinking that we'll just start ordering from here

macho sticks

OKW---nashville SUCKS. LOL j/k.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
OK what I bought was way way smaller, maybe half a foot long. Maybe the one I bought was rotten or something and thats why it got chewed up so fast. I hadnt planned on buying on again after he ate that one so fast but if i ever see ones like in the photo I will try them again.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you probably got the one that doesnt smell bad. LOL. that one is way easy to eat. ellie will eat it in an hour. and thats the 12 inch braided stick!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts