Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My breeder said only to give bully sticks to Poppy for the teething, distraction, etc. But, I see a lot of you talk about flossies on here.

How are the two different? Poppy sometimes get bored with the bully sticks, and if the flossies were tastier, I'd be willing to try them ... if they're safe.

If they are safe, can you get them at PetSmart or PetCo ... or do I need to order them online?

Thanks bunches! Jules

·
Registered
40 Posts
i actually would recommend ordering online, you can usually find better prices than purchasing them at petsmart or petco. just make sure you read the reviews people leave and make sure they are made in USA. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the tendons or flossies taste better than the bully sticks?

I'm just looking for something that is real enticing and can occupy Poppy while I brush his feet. He has gotten great at getting his face cleaned, but is a bear about me brushing his legs and feet. It's just me here, and I normally feed him his kibble while I brush ... but it's hard to feed continually with one hand, and try and brush with the other.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
847 Posts
So the tendons or flossies taste better than the bully sticks?

I'm just looking for something that is real enticing and can occupy Poppy while I brush his feet. He has gotten great at getting his face cleaned, but is a bear about me brushing his legs and feet. It's just me here, and I normally feed him his kibble while I brush ... but it's hard to feed continually with one hand, and try and brush with the other.

HUGz! Jules
Leila loves her bully stick and gets really into it. I haven't gotten her a flossie yet. She has barely made a dent in the bully stick in almost 2 months.

I've heard that some dogs really love the Himalayan Dog Chews, too. I'm waiting for the shipment to come in to the local dog boutique, but I know you can get them online, too. I believe they're made of yak's milk, salt, and lime.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
They are all essentially the same thing and any of the choices will be fine. I have purchased "bully springs" at Petco/Petsmart (they are twisted/curled like a spring) and they are about $4 each. They also sell packs of straight bully sticks, etc. The more you buy, the cheaper it is. lol I think if you buy online in bulk, they are about $2 each.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I give my girls Moo Sticks because they are odor free. They both LOVE bully sticks and flossies but honestly I couldn't stand the smell of them. I had to bathe them every time they had one. I ordered Moo sticks from Angelyn (Tickled Pink) to try them and they both loved them. And they really have no stinky odor.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Micky can literally EAT a Flossie in less than a day, so we stick with Bully sticks. Bully sticks usually last a few weeks. We got the Himalayan dog chews, but Micky didn't really like them. We've also tried Antlerz and a few other chewy type things. The only thing he likes are the Bully Sticks. I don't care what part of the cow it comes from, as long he likes it. I did give him Texas Toothpicks once, the are cow tails. He liked them, but they grossed me out too much. They still had hair attached! :blink:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Gigi prefers flossies to bullies, but she likes them both. She can go through a flossy in a day if I let her. Her bullies will take weeks/months.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I give my girls Moo Sticks because they are odor free. They both LOVE bully sticks and flossies but honestly I couldn't stand the smell of them. I had to bathe them every time they had one. I ordered Moo sticks from Angelyn (Tickled Pink) to try them and they both loved them. And they really have no stinky odor.
I'm with you on the odor. Ick!! :yucky: However the tendons I've gotten don't smell like the bully sticks or flossies. Bullys are bull penis (tendons):shocked:, and I think flossies are also. The tendons are actually leg tendons. Don't know why the difference unless it is the processing.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Gigi prefers flossies to bullies, but she likes them both. She can go through a flossy in a day if I let her. Her bullies will take weeks/months.
Exactly the same here.

I did try the Himalayan chews but Bisou never touched them...I think it's because she's not much of a 'chewer' in general. The flossies and bully sticks are the only things she's interested in.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:smilie_tischkante::oops:ok so i had nooo idea what flossies where , founf it a bit weird u would let ur pups play with the little sticks we use to floss our teeth . hahahhaha

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Coco & Paris adore both tendon and Bully Sticks.
I recently switched to the foot long Bully Sticks because they last longer.
I was throwing the short ones out sooner,
because it would get to the end and I was worried about choking.

Coco is a loon about Bull Sticks. I only give it to them for short periods of time.
Because she could actually eat one in a ridiculously short period of time, if allowed. :eek:
She must be part Mastiff...or Crocodile!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
There is a difference in the bully sticks as to where they come from and how they smell. Usually the free range bully sticks are a little better quality and do not have the smell. Bravo is one company that sells them and you can usually get them at any place that sells natural treats and the better quality foods.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts