Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone.

HELP!!

I've posted something about this before but a little time has past and i'm not sure what to do.

Lola got her rabies shot about 1 1/2 months ago and I notice the bump right after that so I didn't worry to much. I was told it's not unusual to get a bump after shots but now it's still there and i'm not really sure if that's normal.
It's the size of a nickel. It doesn't seem to hurt. It's been the same size since the shot and everything with her is pretty normal. Normal activities, normal stool, normal eating habits etc....
i'm scared it might be something really wrong. She's only 5 month and 1 week old. Can it be serious?
I'll be taking her to the vet this week sometime but I need some kind of answers NOW. I'm so weirded out!!

please help fellow maltese owners.

thank you for listening

please help.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It may be nothing. It's like a knot or something. I remember my nephew had a knot on his forhead that lasted FOREVER! I'm talking about half a yr or something. So it may just take awhile for it to go down. If your baby seems healthy, then don't think about it and ask the vet when you see them.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Lumps from the rabies vaccine are a very localized reaction and can take up to 6 weeks to go away. If it remains, you should have the vet take a look at it and make sure that is all it is.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I had the same exact problem with Kodie... his big lump was on his side where the rabie shot was given... it was there for 1 YEAR! It was as hard as a bone. I had many different vets looking/feeling the lump and they kept telling me... awww its ok... its normal.. One vet said to me that they would do a biopsy on it when they do Kodie's exploratory liver surgery... (I never went back to that vet because we had issues about liver surgery.. so the biospy was never done.) It's been 1yr 3months now since his 1st rabie shot... hes over due for it.. but i'm soo hesitant to give it to him because i know the same thing is going to occur. Was your baby screaming after the rabie shot? Kodie did.. and that was the only shot he did that for.. so i think something might have happened. I have heard that the rabie shot is the most painful and powerful of all the vaccines.. is that true?
I have a question.. has anyone ever heard of sometimes if the shot isnt given in the correct spot that a lump with occur with a build up of the vaccine? Someone told me that could have been what happened to Kodie.
I posted more on this on a different thread about Rabies Vaccine.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The vaccine itself will be absorbed. Depending on the brand, it should be given either under the skin or in the muscle. Usually what happens is there is local inflammation in response to the vaccine and this can take a while to go down. Lumps remaining really should be evaluated to be sure it is not a sterile abscess or some other type of lump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you soooo much for your stories!!! I knew this would be the best place to come for answers. By real people with real maltese. You know what I mean.

Thanks again for everything. I feel a lot better.

I'm going to wait a little before i take her to the vet. There is a outbreak of Distemper in Los Angeles. Sooo i'm really sketchy on taking lola to the vet with other sick dogs.

I will soon but i'm gonna try to give it alittle more time and try to put a heating pad on it every night for 30 minutes or so. If anyone has any other ideas please post.

You guys ROCK!!!

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 6 2004, 10:04 AM
I had the same exact problem with Kodie... his big lump was on his side where the rabie shot was given... it was there for 1 YEAR!  It was as hard as a bone.  I had many different vets looking/feeling the lump and they kept telling me... awww its ok... its normal..  One vet said to me that they would do a biopsy on it when they do Kodie's exploratory liver surgery... (I never went back to that vet because we had issues about liver surgery.. so the biospy was never done.)  It's been 1yr 3months now since his 1st rabie shot... hes over due for it.. but i'm soo hesitant to give it to him because i know the same thing is going to occur.  Was your baby screaming after the rabie shot?  Kodie did.. and that was the only shot he did that for.. so i think something might have happened.  I have heard that the rabie shot is the most painful and powerful of all the vaccines.. is that true?
I have a question.. has anyone ever heard of sometimes if the shot isnt given in the correct spot that a lump with occur with a build up of the vaccine?  Someone told me that could have been what happened to Kodie.
I posted more on this on a different thread about Rabies Vaccine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=20521
[/QUOTE]

Just to put your mind at ease..you can worry about Kodie's rabies shot LATER ...that is if the law in NJ is same as NY...which mandates the shot every 3 years. Once a dog has any reaction to a shot it is such a worry to revaccinate them as necessary..even though most of the time they are fine...Double check with the vet and read up on the State law in NJ...might put your mind at ease cause you won't have to think about getting the shot for nearly another 2 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts