Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Chanel's stitches taken out today. I went home and a couple hours later I look and feel around the incision area, and it feels like they left a piece of stitch around that area. It is hard, and when I move the skin around it, you can see the tiny lump that is raised. I called the office at 6:30 pm and they said it is normal to have a small bump like that because it heals fromt the outside in...or something like that. They also told me that I could go get it checked out tomorrow...and that's exactly what I am going to have done.

Have any of you heard anything like this or experienced this after a spay? I did read that some people experienced this after getting shots or vaccinated.

Help?

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My cat did this too...it probably is nothing...but I would check it out just in case.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
No problem...let us know...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I agree, it is probably nothing and the lump will fade with time... I also would stop by the bet tomorrow just to be sure though. I know If it were me I would sleep better tomorrow night knowing I had it checked out.

Judi

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Missy has had several surgeries over the years and on occasion had a little bump showing after. If it is not red or irritated looking, I'm sure it is fine and will disappear over time.
BUT.. having the vet take a look is well worth it for peace of mind!
Missysmom

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told that there were two dissolvable stitches inside and they should go away in 1-2 months? They said I could feel it because her skin is so thin and she is so small. Has anyone else had this experience?

This doesn't sound right to me. I feel horrible!!!

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Oct 26 2004, 06:13 PM
I was told that there were two dissolvable stitches inside and they should go away in 1-2 months?  They said I could feel it because her skin is so thin and she is so small.  Has anyone else had this experience?

This doesn't sound right to me.  I feel horrible!!!

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13378
[/QUOTE]
I am sure that all will be fine. Whenever you have a surgical procedure, there is a localized trauma to the incision site. Definitely take her in to the vet to rule out an infection or an ingrown hair. If the area is not red, hot to the touch, or painful for Chanel then chances are she's ok. Keep us posted. How is she doing otherwise?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by saltymalty+Oct 26 2004, 03:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Elegant
@Oct 26 2004, 06:13 PM
I was told that there were two dissolvable stitches inside and they should go away in 1-2 months?  They said I could feel it because her skin is so thin and she is so small.  Has anyone else had this experience?

This doesn't sound right to me.  I feel horrible!!!

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13378
I am sure that all will be fine. Whenever you have a surgical procedure, there is a localized trauma to the incision site. Definitely take her in to the vet to rule out an infection or an ingrown hair. If the area is not red, hot to the touch, or painful for Chanel then chances are she's ok. Keep us posted. How is she doing otherwise?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13381
[/B][/QUOTE]

She is doing great...very spry! She is having some crate/peeing issues right now. I am not too happy with that, and I really want to give her a bath but the tech said to wait a couple of days so the area will heal. She looks like a lion with all of her matted hair, I feel so bad!

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
She is doing great...very spry!  She is having some crate/peeing issues right now.  I am not too happy with that, and I really want to give her a bath but the tech said to wait a couple of days so the area will heal.  She looks like a lion with all of her matted hair, I feel so bad!

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13387
[/B][/QUOTE]

Just an FYI... my groomer, who works at my vet, happened to tell me today that they can be bathed about a week after stitches are put it because enough healing has taken place in the incision. She said of course the area should not be rubbed, etc. but a gentle bath was OK. I was surprised to hear that but I do trust her as she is extremely knowledgable about dogs....

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off of the phone with another vets office and they told me it is not strange to feel the dissolvable sutures under the skin...and they said it might even take up to 3 months for it to dissolve.

I am much more at ease...

I am such a worry wart <_<

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom@Oct 26 2004, 07:48 PM
She is doing great...very spry!  She is having some crate/peeing issues right now.  I am not too happy with that, and I really want to give her a bath but the tech said to wait a couple of days so the area will heal.  She looks like a lion with all of her matted hair, I feel so bad!

~Elegant
[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI... my groomer, who works at my vet, happened to tell me today that they can be bathed about a week after stitches are put it because enough healing has taken place in the incision. She said of course the area should not be rubbed, etc. but a gentle bath was OK. I was surprised to hear that but I do trust her as she is extremely knowledgable about dogs....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13389
[/B][/QUOTE]

So weird...the differences in vets...I TRIPLE checked with mine to make sure...but he said I could give Brinkley a bath with his dissolvable stitches right away...not a problem. I waited a week anyway...but weird the differences in opinions.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by tlunn+Oct 26 2004, 06:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catchers Mom
@Oct 26 2004, 07:48 PM
<div class='quotemain'> She is doing great...very spry!  She is having some crate/peeing issues right now.  I am not too happy with that, and I really want to give her a bath but the tech said to wait a couple of days so the area will heal.  She looks like a lion with all of her matted hair, I feel so bad!

~Elegant
[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13389
[/B][/QUOTE]

So weird...the differences in vets...I TRIPLE checked with mine to make sure...but he said I could give Brinkley a bath with his dissolvable stitches right away...not a problem. I waited a week anyway...but weird the differences in opinions.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13397
[/B][/QUOTE]

Another vet told me that you can wait 4 days after a spay and then give them a bath...interesting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts