Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after weeks of trying to get rid of Busters red skin the Dr. has finally put him on antibiotics and cortizone pills because she says he has a staph infection caused by allergies, which we think is caused by some plant here in florida. We already ruled out food and shampoos. Hopefully this finally will get rid of his skin problem.
Has anyone else dealt with staph infections/allergies?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady's got allergies and would you believe takes Zyrtec? She can't take the normal vet prescribed antihistamines since she gets anti-seizure drugs, so my vet called the vet school and they told her Lady could safely take Zyrtec.

I also give her fish oil which has helped a lot. She had almost no problem with allergies this spring which is just amazing. She has never gotten a staph infection. but she gets these little cysts that my vet said were from allergies.

What do you feed Buster? He might have food allergies, too.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by LadysMom@Apr 29 2005, 09:16 AM
Lady's got allergies and would you believe takes Zyrtec? She can't take the normal vet prescribed antihistamines since she gets anti-seizure drugs, so my vet called the vet school and they told her Lady could safely take Zyrtec.

I also give her fish oil which has helped a lot. She had almost no problem with allergies this spring which is just amazing. She has never gotten a staph infection. but she gets these little cysts that my vet said were from allergies.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57966
[/QUOTE]

I feed him natural balance venison and brown rice for allergies. Do have to give lady the zyrtec everyday?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sorry to hear about Buster problem.

Daezie had steph infection twice. the first one not sure what cause it and I was but the second time I'm pretty sure what the sampoo at a grooming place I took her for the fist time, which never whent back. the doctor gave her antibiotics for about 1 wk I think along with an ointment(sp?) sorry I don't remember the names but it got rid of it.
In her case I think I was the shampoo they used at that place because she's never got it again.

I hope Buster get better

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by cindy6755+Apr 29 2005, 11:40 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Apr 29 2005, 09:16 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57966
I feed him natural balance venison and brown rice for allergies. Do have to give lady the zyrtec everyday?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58050
[/B][/QUOTE]

Lady gets 1/4 of a Zyrtec everyday, but she has inhaled allergies, too.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex has on and off staph infections. But he does not have red skin. He gets a few small pimples with pus. And it is only around his p e n i s area inside his thighs. We used to treat it with antibiotics but if you use the same one for a long period of time it's not working any more and they have to switch to another one. I found out that I can get rid of those pimples with wiping the area with alcohol and putting Cortaid on the pimples. I am not sure anymore if the heartworm medicine is a trigger in his case since we switched from Sentinel to Heartgard. He still got some pimples from time to time even with the Heartgard. He had barely any during this winter when he was off that stuff. But a month ago I restarted him on Interceptor and since about 2 weeks we are battling pimples and more then usual. So is it the Interceptor or not ? I don't know anymore. But I am reluctant to have him on antibiotic since this is very localized.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope Buster's feeing better!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I used to have a cocker/corgi mix who got so many staph infections it was crazy. The vet said he proubly had a protine allergy or something like that, we just switched his food around till the redness went away. It was weird like the food we were feeding him that he didnt react to if we just got him a differnt flavor of the same off we were be back at the vet so whatever it was he was reallty allergic to it must have been something really random. You should try differnt foods though it would be nice if thats all you had to do rather than giving medication all the time.

Originally posted by LadysMom@Apr 29 2005, 09:16 AM
Lady's got allergies and would you believe takes Zyrtec? <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57966
[/QUOTE]

Nothing Lady is taking would suprise me lol

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Lilly521+May 6 2005, 03:35 PM-->
I used to have a cocker/corgi mix who got so many staph infections it was crazy.  The vet said he proubly had a protine allergy or something like that, we just switched his food around till the redness went away.  It was weird like the food we were feeding him that he didnt react to if we just got him a differnt flavor of the same off we were be back at the vet so whatever it was he was reallty allergic to it must have been something really random.  You should try differnt foods though it would be nice if thats all you had to do rather than giving medication all the time.

<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Apr 29 2005, 09:16 AM
Lady's got allergies and would you believe takes Zyrtec? <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57966
Nothing Lady is taking would suprise me lol
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60517
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just switched his food again now I'm trying lifes abundance by healthy pet net. The positive thing that has happen is his tear stains are gone, I think from being on the antiboitic.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My vet said everybody has staph on their skin and it does not bother them. But some people (and dogs) can get allergic to their own staph.
I finally got rid of Alex's pimples. Knock on wood. Did not use antibiotics. Only alcohol and cream.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buster is starting to feel and look better, the vet said it take 6 weeks. I got his hair cut short while we are dealing with this. Thank you for all the concern.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by cindy6755@May 7 2005, 12:00 PM
Buster is starting to feel and look better, the vet said it take 6 weeks. I got his hair cut short while we are dealing with this. Thank you for all the concern.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60684
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad Buster is feeling better........hugs from Me..... and Indy sends hugs too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts