Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are back from Orlando the dermatologist did skin scrapings and it turns out Buster has demodex mange(mites). So now I have to dip him once a week in mitoban dip, for 4 weeks then go back for more skin scrapings. I know mitoban dip is toxic
I just hope it works and it doesn't make him sick.

cindy- busters mom

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, poor baby..... I hope he'll be OK.

Just curious.... how in the world do dogs get infected with demodex mange?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh, poor Buster!! I have heard of mange before but never knew how they got it. I hope all will be well with him.......

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Oh, that breaks my heart! Poor Buster. How DO they get something like that? Our house is a big corner lot and gets sooo much cat traffic and dogs being walked (and pooped!) on our yard I worry sometimes about Pico getting something wierd.

And why do people take their dogs for a walk so they can poop on someone else's lawn? Well, I guess I answered my own question.
But it is awful how the cat and dog poop stinks up our yard and I can't make the rounds of our large lot with the pooper scooper every day.....really ticks me off.

If I am outside and see a strange dog being walked I always ask "You're not going to let him poop on my yard are you?". Yes, I'm going to be that wierd old lady of the neighborhood. But we DO have a neighbor a couple houses down that would actually walk his dog up to our corner, off leash, to do his "thang". That's when I started confronting him with "the question".

I have seen a cute sign a few streets over that is a black/white spotted dog in "the pose" with a zero with a line through it superimposed. Hey! That's what Joe could make and sell on ebay or on this site!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I'm so glad you got to the route of Buster's problem. I am, though, rather shocked that your own vet didn't discover the mite on the the scraping . In my other post where I was referring to the sarcoptic mite..I guess I was assumming the scraping ruled out this mite Buster has as it is usually pretty easy to see on a scraping... unlike the sarcoptic. ..or possibly your vet didn't even do any scraping?

some info:
http://www.skinvet.com/diseasedetail.asp?index=5

I have other links but at the moment don't have them handy.
hope your little guy gets the much needed relief quickly! One thing.. I'm glad it isn't the "real-itchy! one!
Missysmom

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor baby!
I hope the dip does the trick with no harmful effects.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I learned today about demodex mange is all dogs have mites and that is fine but when a dogs immune system is down or not yet formed like in puppies the mites can take over and cause the skin irratation, mild hair loss, itch. Since he is a puppy he has juvenile mange and once its cured he should never get it again. If it happens in an older dog then they have to look at underlying conditions to see why the immune system is compramised. My vet here in town didn't do any skin scrapings and put Buster on predisone for a short while which makes the mange worse because that lowers the immune system. I'm glad I know what it is and we can get him better.

cindy-busters mom

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
We've had a handful of dogs who were lethargic of vomited after dips. We did half strength dips after that and they were fine and their demodex resolved. Hopefully he'll do just fine with the dips and his skin will be looking better quickly. I'm glad you go to the root of the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts