Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am really baffled. I brush Paris' teeth, give him chewable stuff such as greenies, nylabones, rawhide dental chews, but his breath has totally been gross lately (I'd say for the last 2 or three weeks).

My husband thinks it's because he has been constantly licking himself down there (his private area). I am really carefully and Paris does not eat his poop, I can attest to that. Another guess of mine is that I stopped letting him drink from water bowls, and he is drinking from a water dripper (those water bottle dripper things).

by the way, his food is Eukanuba small puppy dry food. He's always ate this brand dry food w/o any problems. I am so confused. I love the little face but I get really really nauseaus when he kiss me. I feel bad rejecting him and he has no idea why mommy says no to kisses now. When I say smells like butt, I mean it smells like butt.

Here's a picture of Paris taken this past week. Thanks again in advance =)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley's got like that when he had some loose baby teeth....but other than that, I don't know. Good luck. I know it is hard to take kisses when their breath stinks that bad....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 18 2004, 05:39 AM
Brinkley's got like that when he had some loose baby teeth....but other than that, I don't know. Good luck. I know it is hard to take kisses when their breath stinks that bad....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12304
[/QUOTE]

YES maybe that is why! He is losing his baby teeth left and right. GOD i hope this is temporary.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
how old is Paris?

i rmemeber jongee having REALLY REALLY REALLY stinky breath too..she was about 6-7 months old..thats when she was going thru teething..even if i gave her breath mints, bones, brush teeth it never went away so i just assumed it was teething..coz while shes teething her teeth would bleed and some blood gets clogged up inbtween other teeth and that stunk a lot (she also eats her poop so the smell was double horrible!!
)

she gave me lots of kisses and it was hard to reject it..

i also found out that when i found a tooth that had fell out i would smell it and it smelt exactly like her breath...

so..if Paris is teething that might be the cause of the bad breath

jongee has gone thru almost all of her teething and after all the major adult teeth came out, her breath didnt stink anymore

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by mee@Oct 18 2004, 05:46 AM
how old is Paris?

i rmemeber jongee having REALLY REALLY REALLY stinky breath too..she was about 6-7 months old..thats when she was going thru teething..even if i gave her breath mints, bones, brush teeth it never went away so i just assumed it was teething..coz while shes teething her teeth would bleed and some blood gets clogged up inbtween other teeth and that stunk a lot (she also eats her poop so the smell was double horrible!!
)

she gave me lots of kisses and it was hard to reject it..

i also found out that when i found a tooth that had fell out i would smell it and it smelt exactly like her breath...

so..if Paris is teething that might be the cause of the bad breath

jongee has gone thru almost all of her teething and after all the major adult teeth came out, her breath didnt stink anymore
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12309
[/QUOTE]

Another good advice! Yes he is about 6 months old (his bday was 4/27/04, so he is almost 6 months old).

I am checking his mouth right now, can't tell if any teeth is loose or not...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Oct 18 2004, 05:45 AM
Have you checked her ears? She could have an ear infection. Sometimes that will cause bad breath.  ^_^
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12307
[/QUOTE]

thanks Kelly.

Checked his ears and they were fine. I checked them because ever since his hair is longer, he's been shaking it like a model, so I thought for sure it was ear infections. turns out he just like to shake his hair around =)

btw- Paris is a boy...lol We get that SHE thing all the time =)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm so sorry.
I have a daughter named Hunter and I get that all the time too.
Originally posted by Paris'Mom+Oct 18 2004, 05:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-adorableaccentsdogbows.com
@Oct 18 2004, 05:45 AM
Have you checked her ears? She could have an ear infection. Sometimes that will cause bad breath.  ^_^
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12307
thanks Kelly.

Checked his ears and they were fine. I checked them because ever since his hair is longer, he's been shaking it like a model, so I thought for sure it was ear infections. turns out he just like to shake his hair around =)

btw- Paris is a boy...lol We get that SHE thing all the time =)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12311
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you might be right, it could be the water situation. i know that when i drink out of a bottle...its totally different than when i drink from a straw, you know? like the water from a bottle will be able to touch our teeth and sorta get the debris out and stuff(sounds nasty, i know). and a straw cant do that. try giving him water from a bowl for a week and see if that works.

and are you brushing his teeth like you brush yours? you do the whole circular motion and brushing the gums and stuff?

good luck. tell us if you find the problem.

and the puppy food, is that new? cuz i know that when dogs get indegestion that they'll have bad breath.

Cathy

·
Registered
939 Posts
We had this when Tiki was teething also.... I looked and looked but couldn't find any loose teeth. I took him to the vetr and he found a tooth in the back that had another comming in under it and the top tooth had food and stuff stuck under it causing the odor. The vet removed the tooth easily by just popping it out with a small dental tool. I was surprised that I hadn't found it but the tooth wasn't loose it was stuck.

Judi

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I can't help you out on this, although I have to say I hated the smell of their breath when they ate Eukanuba. All I wanted to say was HAHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH! BUTTBREATH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico had a very bad breath problem a long time ago. Smelled very acrid and terrible. Turned out he had a gum infection. Gave him antibiotic, then a dental cleaning and he's been fine ever since.

I actually like the smell of his breath most of the time. It's like puppy breath.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts