Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

ButterCloud gagging last night

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  saltymalty 
#1 ·
So for the past two days, my bf and I had BBQed Chicken. I had 2 unmarinated chickens for my babies. As a treat, they had half a chicken leg, cucumbers, rice, strawberries and some crumbled up dog food for dinner twice.

I woke up in the middle of sleep last night to Cloud gagging. Do you think there's a correlation to what he's eating? Now that I think of it, when he had his vaccinations, I feed him chicken and rice soup with his dog food. Remember when I told ya'll he through up? He didnt really throw up this time, but did spit out a little bit of acid. Poor baby. Maybe he ate too fast? Maybe I gave him too much? Any ideas?

#4 ·
Not to be a gloomy gus but, before Pico was diagnosed with the MVD, I had run out of his regular dog food when we were out of town and I gave him plain chicken only because that's all I knew to do back then. It made him sick. Now I imagine it was because of his MVD and his system couldn't handle the large amount of protein.

Prior to that he would occasionally spit up a yellowish bile at night. He has not done that in the 3 years since he was diagnosed and his diet changed to a lowfat low protein one.

Just something for you to be aware and on the look out for if Cloud continues to react that way. Otherwise, it is probably just a one-time upset tummy thing. -_-

#7 ·
He doesnt throw up everytime he eats chicken. I fed him this mixture 2 nights in a row and the first night he was fine...maybe it is a dog thing.

#8 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jun 8 2005, 02:12 AM
He doesnt throw up everytime he eats chicken.  I fed him this mixture 2 nights in a row and the first night he was fine...maybe it is a dog thing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70401
[/QUOTE]

awwww i hope Butter feels better!!! keep a good eye on him next time he eats chicken tho

#10 ·
Not to be a gloomy gus but, before Pico was diagnosed with the MVD, I had run out of his regular dog food when we were out of town and I gave him plain chicken only because that's all I knew to do back then. It made him sick. Now I imagine it was because of his MVD and his system couldn't handle the large amount of protein.

Prior to that he would occasionally spit up a yellowish bile at night. He has not done that in the 3 years since he was diagnosed and his diet changed to a lowfat low protein one.

Just something for you to be aware and on the look out for if Cloud continues to react that way. Otherwise, it is probably just a one-time upset tummy thing. -_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70257
[/quote

What is MVD? Molly has spit up yellowish stuff a couple of times. She is a big grazer (grass mostly) and I just chalked it up to that. Hope its nothing serious

I hope Buttercloud is feeling better...what a cutie pie!

#12 ·

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70257
[/quote

What is MVD? Molly has spit up yellowish stuff a couple of times. She is a big grazer (grass mostly) and I just chalked it up to that. Hope its nothing serious

I hope Buttercloud is feeling better...what a cutie pie!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70878

I don't know that the throwing up bile was connected to the MVD but he hasn't done it since I changed his diet. MVD is Microvascular Dysplasia which reduces the liver's ability to filter blood coming from the digestive system. Ammonia builds up in the bloodstream from digestion of protein and fats and causes problems.

Pico was diagnosed at 2 years through pre-dental bloodwork and has been on a low-protein, low-fat diet ever since. It's a good idea to have yearly dentals and yearly bloodwork anyway.

#14 ·
I think it's only b/c he ate too fast or something. I'm feeding him grilled chicken, strawberries, cucumber or carrots, rice and some crushed up royal canin for dinner for a couple days now and he's been fine.

Thanks for caring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.