Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing a new pup, however I am very new to the Maltese breed, have been doing alot of reading.

The breeder says the baby is 3Ilb and she's 10 wks old, is this a normal weight ?

And can anyone tell me what does it means if someone's name is on the USDA breeder's list ?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Zoes mom@Jan 23 2005, 02:14 PM
I'm in the process of purchasing a new pup, however I am very new to the Maltese breed, have been doing alot of reading.

The breeder says the baby is 3Ilb and she's 10 wks old, is this a normal weight ?

And can anyone tell me what does it means if someone's name is on the USDA breeder's list ?         

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30922
[/QUOTE]

3 pounds at 10 weeks is a bit on the large side. My Catcher was about 2.8 at 10 weeks. He's about 7 pounds now at 8 months.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
First, welcome. This is a great site. As for 3lbs. at 10 weeks, I can't really say. Our puppy was 2 lbs. at 12 weeks, but I think it's kind of like kid's weights. Some are just bigger and others are smaller...genetics plays an important part. If the puppy's parents are larger then chances are pretty good the puppy will be larger. Of course this isn't always the case! As for USDA, that tag is a clear indication that the "breeder" is really a puppy mill. Is the breeder you're dealing with saying that they are USDA licensed? If so, please reconsider the pup because that's a puppy mill. You can check to see if your breeder is on the American Maltese Association's breeder list...it's on their website. Also, several people here have posted some really great threads regarding USDA puppy mills. Take a look at those articles, because they certainly will answer most questions you may have. I warn you though, some of the stuff is a bit difficult to stomach. Good luck to you whatever route you decide. Maltese are such a wonderful breed. We've had our pup for about two months and she's great. She is our first dog, and if I knew it was going to be this easy, I would have gotten one long ago!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
at twelve weeks parker was 2.2 lbs...now he is 6lbs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by saltymalty@Jan 23 2005, 03:01 PM
First, welcome.  This is a great site.  As for 3lbs. at 10 weeks, I can't really say.  Our puppy was 2 lbs. at 12 weeks, but I think it's kind of like kid's weights.  Some are just bigger and others are smaller...genetics plays an important part.  If the puppy's parents are larger then chances are pretty good the puppy will be larger.  Of course this isn't always the case!  As for USDA, that tag is a clear indication that the "breeder" is really a puppy mill.  Is the breeder you're dealing with saying that they are USDA licensed?  If so, please reconsider the pup because that's a puppy mill.  You can check to see if your breeder is on the American Maltese Association's breeder list...it's on their website.  Also, several people here have posted some really great threads regarding USDA puppy mills.  Take a look at those articles, because they certainly will answer most questions you may have.  I warn you though, some of the stuff is a bit difficult to stomach.  Good luck to you whatever route you decide.  Maltese are such a wonderful breed.  We've had our pup for about two months and she's great.  She is our first dog, and if I knew it was going to be this easy, I would have gotten one long ago!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30946
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by saltymalty@Jan 23 2005, 03:01 PM
First, welcome.  This is a great site.  As for 3lbs. at 10 weeks, I can't really say.  Our puppy was 2 lbs. at 12 weeks, but I think it's kind of like kid's weights.  Some are just bigger and others are smaller...genetics plays an important part.  If the puppy's parents are larger then chances are pretty good the puppy will be larger.  Of course this isn't always the case!  As for USDA, that tag is a clear indication that the "breeder" is really a puppy mill.  Is the breeder you're dealing with saying that they are USDA licensed?  If so, please reconsider the pup because that's a puppy mill.  You can check to see if your breeder is on the American Maltese Association's breeder list...it's on their website.  Also, several people here have posted some really great threads regarding USDA puppy mills.  Take a look at those articles, because they certainly will answer most questions you may have.  I warn you though, some of the stuff is a bit difficult to stomach.  Good luck to you whatever route you decide.  Maltese are such a wonderful breed.  We've had our pup for about two months and she's great.  She is our first dog, and if I knew it was going to be this easy, I would have gotten one long ago!
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Zoes mom+Jan 23 2005, 03:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Jan 23 2005, 03:01 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30952
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm sorry I'm trying to get used to this website.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Jan 23 2005, 03:22 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 23 2005, 02:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Jan 23 2005, 03:00 PM
I don't know how much Toby weighed at 10 weeks, but at 12 weeks he weighed 5.75 lbs.  He is now 13 months and weights around 7.5 lbs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30945

Nichole, Are you sure he weighed 5.75 at 12 weeks... that is humongous! Could it be 3.75 ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30953

[/QUOTE]
I'm sure--I just got out the paper's from the vet to check.

Actually, this brings up a funny story. When we went to the breeders to look at Toby, I was kinda of disappointed because he was so big. I really thought he was going to be much smaller. Then I thought maybe I had misinterpreted the size in my own head. So we ended up choosing Toby because he had the most energy and because he was on the larger side.

Now that he is 13 months, he is somewhere around 7.5 lbs (I'm not sure of his exact weight, I'll have it checked in a few months when he goes to the vet for his shots). Anyway, my point is, he really seemed to stop growing around the 7 month mark. He didn't gain much weight after that. So you really can't tell much about what they are going to weight. I thought Toby was going to be one of the 12 lbs dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30959
[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe the vet wrote it down wrong.... that happened to me once.... it just seems impossible that he could be that large at only 3 months old and then grow only 2 more pounds.... That would put him at almost LadyM's Parker's adult size at just 3 months! Oh, well maybe he just matured fast!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jan 23 2005, 03:27 PM
Okay, this topic just peaked my curosity.  I had hubby stand on the scale with Toby and subtracted the weight from hubby's normal weight.  If our scale is accurate, then Toby weighs in at a whopping 6 lbs.  WOW! He is smaller than I thought!  So then he really never gained much weight after 4 months, he just grew.  Hmmm...this makes me wonder if he is eating enough.  He certainly doesn't look thin by any means.  I wonder if he just grew into "his baby fat."  Maybe I will swing by the vet's office one of these days to see if they can weigh him (do you think they would charge me for that?).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30961
[/QUOTE]

They should not charge for weighing... no way (no pun intended)!!

At 12 weeks (3 months) he was 5.75 and now he is just 6. That would mean he virtually did not gain anything from that point on.... seems sort of impossible to me.. but I guess it doesn't matter at all now. Six pounds at maturity is a good size to be, IMHO. Not too big, not too small.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny was just 4lbs at 10 weeks but he is a giant maltese... 7 months he is 10lbs but i saw the size of his mom so its not suprise to me he is a big boy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Jan 23 2005, 03:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jan 23 2005, 02:26 PM
Maybe the vet wrote it down wrong.... that happened to me once.... it just seems impossible that he could be that large at only 3 months old and then grow only 2 more pounds.... That would put him at almost LadyM's Parker's adult size at just 3 months!  Oh, well maybe he just matured fast!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30960
Maybe she did, but in all honesty, I never thought Toby was small. (I just doubled checked ALL my vet's paperwork and it is all consistent--5.75 lbs from 4 months until 7 months when he weighed in at 6 lbs something)

I don't know if I have a very different imagine in my mind of how small this breed was supposed to be, but he always looked to be a bit on the bigger side. Being that I had never seen a Malt until I saw Toby, I guess I had a very different image in mind.

I would love to see a full grown 3lbs Malt just for comparison sake.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30965
[/B][/QUOTE]

I believe Kodie is around 3 pounds ??

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Zoes mom@Jan 23 2005, 02:14 PM

[/QUOTE]

A little large, but every puppy varies.

Important things to ask the breeder:

1. Do they show their dogs? Can they tell you about the dogs in the pedigrees, their show records, their structural strengths and weaknesses?

2. Do they know of a history of liver shunt or MVD in the lines? Epilepsy? Luxating patellas?

3. Do they require spay/neuter?

4. Do they insist the pup remain with them until 12 weeks of age?

5. Do they require if you can ever not keep the dog that it must be returned to them?

6. What type of situation was the pup raised in?

If they are on the USDA list, then they probably are not a reputable, responsible breeder but instead a large-scale breeding for profit operation.

A relationship with your pup's breeder should last a lifetime. The breeder should welcome you to call them if you at any time have a question. They should want to hear how the puppy is doing. Really, what you get when you go to a reputable breeder is someone who is always there when you have a question or concern, a mentor in pet ownership. It is definately worth it to find a reputable, responsible breeder to have that relationship.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by JMM+Jan 23 2005, 03:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Zoes mom
@Jan 23 2005, 02:14 PM

A little large, but every puppy varies.

Important things to ask the breeder:

1. Do they show their dogs? Can they tell you about the dogs in the pedigrees, their show records, their structural strengths and weaknesses?

2. Do they know of a history of liver shunt or MVD in the lines? Epilepsy? Luxating patellas?

3. Do they require spay/neuter?

4. Do they insist the pup remain with them until 12 weeks of age?

5. Do they require if you can ever not keep the dog that it must be returned to them?

6. What type of situation was the pup raised in?

If they are on the USDA list, then they probably are not a reputable, responsible breeder but instead a large-scale breeding for profit operation.

A relationship with your pup's breeder should last a lifetime. The breeder should welcome you to call them if you at any time have a question. They should want to hear how the puppy is doing. Really, what you get when you go to a reputable breeder is someone who is always there when you have a question or concern, a mentor in pet ownership. It is definately worth it to find a reputable, responsible breeder to have that relationship.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30967
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks,
On the most part she seems very nice and friendly and knowledgeable about the breed.

All the above questions have been answered or asked.

I thank everyone for they're input, I did email her though just to ask if the puppy will meet the AKC standard weight for a maltese, I'll see what she says.

That is one of the Characterists that drew me to the breed.

So hopefully I'll get an answer soon

Isn't there a way to estimate how much the puppy will weigh ?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Jan 23 2005, 03:27 PM
Okay, this topic just peaked my curosity.  I had hubby stand on the scale with Toby and subtracted the weight from hubby's normal weight.  If our scale is accurate, then Toby weighs in at a whopping 6 lbs.  WOW! He is smaller than I thought!  So then he really never gained much weight after 4 months, he just grew.  Hmmm...this makes me wonder if he is eating enough.  He certainly doesn't look thin by any means.  I wonder if he just grew into "his baby fat."  Maybe I will swing by the vet's office one of these days to see if they can weigh him (do you think they would charge me for that?).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30961
[/QUOTE]
You guys are making me nervous that our pup was just 2lbs. at 12 weeks. She was 2.5 at 14 weeks, and was 3 lbs. at her last appointment (rabies shot). I would venture to guess that she's about 3.5 lbs. So, do you think she's a bit small?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
that sounds about the same size as parker...6lbs isnt small

1 - 20 of 33 Posts