Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Apr 30 2005, 05:38 PM
When I took Toby to the vet last week for his check up, she gave us a sample of this C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chew--Petite Size.  Toby loves them even more than the Greenies!

The vet said that the chew has this enzyme on it that is similar to toothpaste and it helps keep their breath fresh and cleanses them at the same time. 

I went back to the vet last night and bought a package of 30 for about $6.  You are supposed to give one a day so the package should last a month. 

Here is the website to read more about the C.E.T.  I don't think you can buy directly from the company, but perhaps your vet carries this product. 

C.E.T. Dental
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58393
[/QUOTE]
I get these to and all my babies love them!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first Maltese, Rosebud, absolutely loved them. I haven't given them to K & C but maybe I should. Rosebud lived until almost 13 and never had her teeth cleaned nor brushed
and never had any teeth problems at all. I get so neurotic about rawhide though... always afraid they'll choke or something... do you all ever have any choking issues with the C.E.T. chews?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 30 2005, 08:39 PM
These chews are meant to be edible and they crumble apart fairly easily. The CET rawhide chews are completely different than the petites.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58448
[/QUOTE]

That's good to know.... I feel better!!
What do you mean by "different than the petites"? What are "petites"?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Apr 30 2005, 09:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 30 2005, 08:39 PM
These chews are meant to be edible and they crumble apart fairly easily. The CET rawhide chews are completely different than the petites.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58454
[/B][/QUOTE]
I don't know if the CET chews are the same but with the Petrodex chews I had before the petite size was the ground up rawhide pressed into a strip. Kind of like those 'munchie' sticks they have at the pet stores. The regular and the large sizes are just strips of raw hide.

These aren't the Petrodex brand, but maybe you can see in the pic what a meant munchie sticks

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Apr 30 2005, 08:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
[/B][/QUOTE]

They go by sizes. The have large, medium, and small chews and then petites. The petites are not rawhide strips like the others, they are pressed edible chews.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+May 1 2005, 12:18 AM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 30 2005, 08:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM

[/QUOTE]

They go by sizes. The have large, medium, and small chews and then petites. The petites are not rawhide strips like the others, they are pressed edible chews.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58527
[/B][/QUOTE]

Jackie, so are you saying, then, that the petites are safer than the larger sizes and that's what I should get?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The larger sizes are rawhide strips. If your dog is not an aggressive chewer and you are comfortable giving rawhide under supervision, these are fine. I buy Jonathan the large size and he just carries them around and licks the enzyme stuff on the outside off. Sometimes he chews an end a little bit. The petite are edible chews and are meant to be eaten. As they eat them and chew them up, the enzymes are deposited on their teeth. It just depends on your preference and your dog's preference. Rawhide can be a choking and foreign body hazard for dogs who gobble it down and swallow big pieces.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@May 1 2005, 11:44 AM
The larger sizes are rawhide strips. If your dog is not an aggressive chewer and you are comfortable giving rawhide under supervision, these are fine. I buy Jonathan the large size and he just carries them around and licks the enzyme stuff on the outside off. Sometimes he chews an end a little bit. The petite are edible chews and are meant to be eaten. As they eat them and chew them up, the enzymes are deposited on their teeth. It just depends on your preference and your dog's preference. Rawhide can be a choking and foreign body hazard for dogs who gobble it down and swallow big pieces.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58603
[/QUOTE]
Jackie, that is great info.... Kallie does indeed totally gobble up anything I give her so it appears that the regular strips would not be good for her. I may try the large size for Catcher who seems to enjoy lingering over his chews. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico won't touch greenies but he does love the CET dental chew sticks so I talked it over with my vet because they are rawhide and he is on low-protein diet. My vet said (and remember, he has 3 Maltese and one is MVD) the rawhide pretty much goes through the digestive system intact and that it won't harm Pico to eat those. Yaaaay!

And it takes him 15-20 minutes to finish one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts