Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I have been working on obedience classes with Cadeau in the hopes of adding some more titles to the other end of his name. We have taken classes in traditional competitive obedience and Rally. I love working with my dogs in obedience, but it has not been a smooth process for us. Cadeau still has major reactive reactions sometimes to the other dogs around him. Despite being in shows all his life with other dogs, he still goes bezerk like an unsocialized dog when he sees certain other dogs. :smstarz:

At any rate, this has slowed down our progress toward competing in obedience and it has also made it difficult to bring him places that we would love to be able to take him.

So, I have been looking for some alternative solutions beyond the classes we have taken so far and I found a camp for reactive dogs. It is in Maryland about an hour from us. It is run by Pat Miller. Some of you know the name. She literally wrote the book on Positive Training. Amazon.com: The Power of Positive Dog Training (9780470241844): Pat Miller: Books

So, I found out today that we got a slot in the camp in June. I am excited and hopeful that this will help us get past these hurdles. I wanted to share my excitement with my friends here.

I also think this will be a nice treat for him since he has to stay home from the specialty and miss out on all the fun there. Of course, he will be having fun visiting our friends at their "Pom" house. He might not want to come home with us after that.

edited to add: this camp is not one where he goes without mom. I will be his handler/trainer. I just wanted to make that clear because I personally think those camps where dogs go without their owners are rarely very successful long term. It usually is about training "us" first.

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Holy Mackeral Carina! When do find time to go to work????? And shows most every weekend! I am in awe of your stamina...it's more than I've got.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Carina that is FANTASTIC!! You'll have to share some tips when you get back.

What an amazing experience. I'm so jealous. I'd love to learn and train under Pat Miller.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Me too Carina..Let me know how it is...Sounds wonderful! Maybe Mox and I can come to camp one of these days. See you soon.

·
Registered
574 Posts
As some of you know, I have been working on obedience classes with Cadeau in the hopes of adding some more titles to the other end of his name. We have taken classes in traditional competitive obedience and Rally. I love working with my dogs in obedience, but it has not been a smooth process for us. Cadeau still has major reactive reactions sometimes to the other dogs around him. Despite being in shows all his life with other dogs, he still goes bezerk like an unsocialized dog when he sees certain other dogs. :smstarz:

At any rate, this has slowed down our progress toward competing in obedience and it has also made it difficult to bring him places that we would love to be able to take him.

So, I have been looking for some alternative solutions beyond the classes we have taken so far and I found a camp for reactive dogs. It is in Maryland about an hour from us. It is run by Pat Miller. Some of you know the name. She literally wrote the book on Positive Training. Amazon.com: The Power of Positive Dog Training (9780470241844): Pat Miller: Books

So, I found out today that we got a slot in the camp in June. I am excited and hopeful that this will help us get past these hurdles. I wanted to share my excitement with my friends here.

I also think this will be a nice treat for him since he has to stay home from the specialty and miss out on all the fun there. Of course, he will be having fun visiting our friends at their "Pom" house. He might not want to come home with us after that.

edited to add: this camp is not one where he goes without mom. I will be his handler/trainer. I just wanted to make that clear because I personally think those camps where dogs go without their owners are rarely very successful long term. It usually is about training "us" first.
Carina, I always cringe when I start reading about what people are doing or listening to, regarding dog traning....so I braced myself and then I saw Pat Miller's name ;))) You be safe with her !!!

Let me know what you think of it, Ok...

Karla

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
YAY congrats Dodo!! I hope he (and you!) enjoy it!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sasha is sometimes reactive to other dogs too and I have been working hard with her about this. If you could share what you learn in "boot camp" I would greatly appreciate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.