Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to my grandma's last night to visit and have supper with her when I got off work. It was my mom, sis, hubby, uncle, aunt and baby cousin. Well my uncle had done some yard work and evidently left the back gate open. We had let Caesar outside because he loves to run in the back yard and has puppy neighbors there he likes to visit with. Well my grandma had asked where Caesar was and then we realized we hadn't heard him for awhile and my uncle said that he had left the back gate open!
So mom, hubby, and I went outside to find him...no where to be seen. Finally someone heard us yelling for him and said she had seen a little white dog go her direction (thankfully she also helped to look for him). He had wondered 2 blocks and crossed a fairly busy street. This all took place around 8:30 last night, I was in tears, really thought we would never find him, especially when it was getting so dark. Thankfully he was found, he was up on someone's porch sniffing the bushes.
I think we will always make sure the gate is shut before we let him in the back yard. It has never been left open before from what I can remember.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
OMG what a scare you had! Im sooooooo glad you found him& he was ok.They sure can make us old fast cant the little buggers!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, thank goodness everything turned out OK... Is it safe for him to be in the yard by himself.... just thinking of birds of prey, etc.? And your uncle should be sure to close the gate because a sick animal could come in the yard and poop and leave the disease in the ground... such as parvo.

I have garden fence around my patio area and my yard people on occasion will leave it open after trimming inside it and I always have a "fit" and call their office and ask them to remind the workers, but they just don't seem to get it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I don't feel unsafe with him out there, it is in the middle of the city and we only see the little birds. Hadn't really thought about the big birds around here, h Caesar is almost 9lbs though, he has lost some weight since we moved here and go on lots of walks.
Do they bother 8-9 pound dogs? I do worry about it at my other grandparents' out in the country.
Yeah I have no idea why he left the gate open. It is never left open, she has a dog that my mom has to care for now since my grandma had been so sick and so it was always kept shut so her dog could go out whenever. Good point on other dogs going back there and possibly spreading parvo I hadn't even thought about that; my concern was somebody going back there and breaking into my grandmas back door.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Aug 6 2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah I don't feel unsafe with him out there, it is in the middle of the city and we only see the little birds.  Hadn't really thought about the big birds around here, h Caesar is almost 9lbs though, he has lost some weight since we moved here and go on lots of walks.
  Do they bother 8-9 pound dogs?  I do worry about it at my other grandparents' out in the country. 
  Yeah I have no idea why he left the gate open.  It is never left open, she has a dog that my mom has to care for now since my grandma had been so sick and so it was always kept shut so her dog could go out whenever.  Good point on other dogs going back there and possibly spreading parvo I hadn't even thought about that; my concern was somebody going back there and breaking into my grandmas back door.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87756
[/QUOTE]

I was reading somewhere...that birds of prey can easily carry away a 10-pound dog!! I was shocked to read that. There was an article in our local newspaper the other day about why the pigeon population downtown has gotten smaller and it went on to say that large birds (can't remember the names) would snatch up the pigeons. I won't even describe here what they do to the pigeons before carrying them away. I was soooooo grossed out reading that while eating my breakfast!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 6 2005, 09:54 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Aug 6 2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah I don't feel unsafe with him out there, it is in the middle of the city and we only see the little birds.  Hadn't really thought about the big birds around here, h Caesar is almost 9lbs though, he has lost some weight since we moved here and go on lots of walks.
   Do they bother 8-9 pound dogs?  I do worry about it at my other grandparents' out in the country. 
  Yeah I have no idea why he left the gate open.  It is never left open, she has a dog that my mom has to care for now since my grandma had been so sick and so it was always kept shut so her dog could go out whenever.  Good point on other dogs going back there and possibly spreading parvo I hadn't even thought about that; my concern was somebody going back there and breaking into my grandmas back door.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87756
I was reading somewhere...that birds of prey can easily carry away a 10-pound dog!! I was shocked to read that. There was an article in our local newspaper the other day about why the pigeon population downtown has gotten smaller and it went on to say that large birds (can't remember the names) would snatch up the pigeons. I won't even describe here what they do to the pigeons before carrying them away. I was soooooo grossed out reading that while eating my breakfast!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87758
[/B][/QUOTE]
Ewwww, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Dang, that gave me cold chills reading it. I would have not been worried so much about birds of prey, it would have been people of prey. Any car going by, could have picked him up.

So glad it was a happy ending. The little devils can worry us to death!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Aug 6 2005, 10:05 AM
Dang, that gave me cold chills reading it.  I would have not been worried so much about birds of prey, it would have been people of prey. Any car going by, could have picked him up.

So glad it was a happy ending. The little devils can worry us to death!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87763
[/QUOTE]
Yes and it was getting dark so I was very scared that he would have been run over, especially since he crossed the street alone! I was also so scared thinking which direction did he go, is he in a back yard, did he get shut up somewhere accidently (wander in a garage and someone shut it later not knowing they had a visitor). I really did not think we would find him, Hubby didnt either he said as he was walking back with no luck he was trying to figure out how much extra we had for a reward.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
OMG. I'm so glad it all turned out OK. I bet you were beside yourself!

·
Registered
841 Posts
OMG is right I would have panic too. Thats my biggest fear.. I know we all try to watch them all the time but it's hard when they love to go outside and play ,we had to put up some wire around the wrought iron fence so i feel the yards pretty secure but you never know.. so I try to let her out only when I 'm in the kitchen and can keep an eye on her Its so HOT
here right now she only goes out for a little bit and she's ready to come back in :D smart pup

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Aug 6 2005, 10:09 AM
I really did not think we would find him, Hubby didnt either he said as he was walking back with no luck he was trying to figure out how much extra we had for a reward.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87766
[/QUOTE]

Awww...Caesar is his baby too...I bet both of you were scared to death....
I am glad you found him and all is well...

A big "WHEW!"

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I am so glad you found him quickly. It is scarry. I am always afraid that the gates are not closed even we are the ones closing them. Just paranoia. But somebody else could have open them and not closed shut like the guy reading the electric meter.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
That sorta happened to us awhile ago. Cloud and Noriko were alot younger and the door was open for some reason. Luckily they stayed on the property. At least, I think they did. When my bf found them, they were around the yard or something. But that is such a scare. Thank goodness Lil Caesar is ok. I'd be crying too.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm glad your baby is safe and sound now! Thats VERY scarey!!! That happened to our beagle a few times.. he NEVER came when we called him..
Does Caesar come when you call him?
I know Kodie comes when i call him... actually... he doesnt even leave my side.. haha.. hes always too scared to walk away.
Wouldnt you think he would want to go on an adventure outside... see new things? ..hahah.. :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
That happened to us on Saturday. I gave Chelsey a bathe the night before and Chester as my mother in law was coming over the next day and has not see Chelsey since she was like 5 months so I got them all done up. I don't know what possessed me to let her out side. Normally she just goes on the pad. We put down these mall barriers near the back gate so the puppies cannot get out there. Well she was not out there more them 3 min.. When I turned around CHELSEY was gone. She squashed herself under and pass the wood barriers. I thought she was in the next door neighbors yard. She ran over three homes. I was yelling my head off... and finally I heard her. I ran as fast as I could. Grab her. Gee Chelsey was all mud covered. She rolled in it too. She just looked horrible. Thank god she went left and not right or should would have been loose in the streets.

I’m glad your puppy is ok.

Chaters mom ,I know how you feel . Those worker always leave our gate open too. They have no manners at all. If they can open it why can't they close it back?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts