Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been a nervous wreck for a while now. Peanut was having frequent pee accidents and his tummy looked a little bloated. We went to the vet a couple of weeks ago, before our vacation, to have this checked out. I got the results while we were on vacation and the lab results said "moderate calcium oxalate crystals". I've been doing research for the past couple of days and I was wondering if anyone had any info to share about this or any experience with it.

I just picked up a bag of Hill's u/d today as well as some canned u/d from the vet. Peanut is NOT impressed with the kibble so far. I've been trying to get him to drink more water, but he's still only peeing twice a day (hasn't had an accident in a week). Other than that, he's been acting completely normal and he actually had a great time in FL. I'm just so worried about my baby boy and I will do anything for him. Sorry for the ramble and my little pity party guys. I would really appreciate any info or any informative sites if anyone knows of any. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Alissa,

A while ago Miko had crystals in his urine. I really can't remember which type (shame on me - bad mommy and bad med student
). Anyways, on retest they were gone, then later on he had a UTI and he had crystals again on urine analysis again (different type) but they were gone after antibiotic treatment. My vet told me that some type of crystals can form in urine if the urine is not tested right away (if it stands around in lab).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Olga. The vet mentioned needing a 'fresh' sample to test, and so they actually took the sample from Peanut and it went straight to the lab instead of using the sample I brought in. He was on Clavamox just in case it was a UTI for the past 10 days, but there was no bacteria in his urine. I'm just way too paranoid and we have another test scheduled in 4 weeks. My brain has been bouncing all over the place. You are not a bad mommy or a bad med student!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
the crystals form based on the pH of the urine...if it is too acid u get one type and if too basic u get another. my cat had crystals and now he has to be on a special diet for the rest of his life.

here is a good site that explains stone/crystal formation:
http://www.petcaretips.net/why_bladder_stones_form.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Sep 19 2005, 06:11 PM
the crystals form based on the pH of the urine...if it is too acid u get one type and if too basic u get another.  my cat had crystals and now he has to be on a special diet for the rest of his life.

here is a good site that explains stone/crystal formation:
http://www.petcaretips.net/why_bladder_stones_form.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101242
[/QUOTE]

But I think certain types of crystals don't depend on pH of the urine -- they form for other reasons (such as infections). That's why Miko was never put on a special diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
the bacteria can change the pH...so if that is the cause than u get rid of the bacteria and u change the pH.

Most of the bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections make the urine more alkaline because the bacteria split urea into ammonia and other alkaline waste products
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Hope he feels better soon!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the sites guys. You're the best!! Olga, sorry I was so wrapped up in myself that I forgot to say earlier that I'm glad Miko's crystals cleared up
.
The vet did say that if the acidity level of Peanut's urine goes down after a month of Hill's u/d that he'll be on that diet for life. Now, my prob is getting the little booger to eat it
I'll try a little of the canned for his morning meal tomorrow. Cross your fingers

I automatically became so afraid of this news that I began to think the worst, but reading the sites that were recomended I feel a little better
Thanks everyone


Peanut sends out thank you kisses to all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Sep 19 2005, 06:25 PM
the bacteria can change the pH...so if that is the cause than u get rid of the bacteria and u change the pH.

Most of the bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections make the urine more alkaline because the bacteria split urea into ammonia and other alkaline waste products
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101249
[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's what all bacteria do -- but still if the bacteria is responsible for ph change, then there shouldn't be a need for the diet change. Our vet (who is internal medicine specialist) did a urine culture test (because you can't always see bacteria on a UA), then a course of antibiotic treatment and then retest for crystals before even considering diet change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
im not saying all situations warrent a diet change....but the bacteria cause a differnt type of stone to form than calcium oxalte.so in this situation a diet change is warrented.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Holli had these. We went through treating a UTI for awhile and finally they did a sonogram and found stones, so they suggested surgery. They told me there are diets to break some types of stones up, but not ones formed by this. There was no way to determine the type without surgery. I dont know why they didnt suggest diet first, but either way it ended up she had this type. After the surgery (they removed 4 half pea sized stones!), she was still peeing frequently, and they wanted to put her on this special food, which they did and in a day or two everything went back to normal. She was 12 at the time. If I can offer anything else, let me know


Good luck to you and your little peanut
He will be just fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Janet
It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that Holli was better after the surgery and diet change. I do have a couple of questions though.

Did you continue to give Holli treats? I've read a couple of lists of foods to avoid and it seems that everything Peanut likes to eat is on the list.

And do you know of any way to get Peanut to eat this new food? Sounds like such a dumb question, but it took me a year to find a food he would willingly eat on his own. Before I would throw on a bit of boiled chicken but if his new diet is low protein, I don't want to go adding extra protien to it.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
My sister's Jack Russell has chronic problems with stones and crystals and is on a special diet for life, too. She feeds her the Waltham prescription diet instead of Hills. You might try that instead if he refuses to eat the Hills.

One of the eating incentives (tricks!) that many of the people on the diabetic board used when their dogs wouldn't eat the prescription diet was drizzling a little juice from a can of tuna on the food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
I think Holli was on this for about a year with no problems. The vet said not to even mix this food with her old food, it was that important to be strictly this. There are so many things out now that I didnt even know about back then, I"m sure you will find something safe, but I did stick to this only.

She was not picky, so as far as I can remember it was an easy switch. I'm a little confused because when she ended up two years later with her "real" problem, she wasnt eating anything. I might have related the two things back then, but in the end that was not it at all. I think there are lots of tricks to get him to eat it if you have to, but if you're thinking its horrible, Holli did not think so


How do you plan to keep the two away from each other's food? I think we were alot further along and that if you nip this in the bud as you are doing, its probably not going to be as critical as it was with us. They were treating her UTI for what seems like forever until we found this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm, I will have to try the tuna water trick later on. Thanks Marj. I read a little about the Waltham and the Royal Canine(I think
) prescription diets too. My vet only sells the Hills though, so I will speak with her about that next time. Right now it's really hard to keep the boys away from each other's food mainly because Tic is such a little piggy and he can't stand that there is a new food that he can't try
I've been feeding the boys separatly in their crates for two days now and they're fine with it. It was a lot easier to put down the bowl and let them go at it at their own pace, but I think after it becomes a habit for me and the boys it will be fine.

Thank you Janet for sharing your experiences with Holli, I really appreciate everything you guys
Thanks again
I'll keep you all posted when I find out more.

Peanut was very sleepy and grumpy yesterday, so I was driving myself insane worrying about him, but today he's playing and very alert, so no worries at this moment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After about 3 days of not eating Peanut finally ate an entire bowl of his Hill's u/d. I'm so relieved because he's been starving himself to avoid the new food. I just tossed in some more kibble in his bowl and he's still chomping away
:D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top