Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am reading the classifieds today, because I often skim to look for female malts etc...and I come across an ad for a 3 year old female maltese for $450.00. So, being curious, I called to check on her....(thinking about a sister for Brinkley
). So I finally get hold of the lady and she was super nice, but said that somebody was coming to look at her this afternoon. But, I asked some questions anyway. These were the questions I asked...and her responses.

1) How big? 3.5 pounds
2) Spayed? No, but too small to breed anyway
3)Health Problems? No
4) Good with kids? She has teenagers, but the dog had been around younger and was fine with them.
5) Been with cats? No
6) How potty-trained? Outside
7) Why are you getting rid of her? She belongs to her 13 year old daughter, she agreed she could have her, as long as she took care of her. Now, her daughter is busy and doesn't care for her, mom does it all...so she told her she had to get rid of her because she couldn't take care of her and all the others.

8) What breeder did you get her from? She WAS the breeder. She breeds Yorkies and Malts.
9) You have her mom and dad too? Mom is retired (didn't say whether she still had her) and the dad they sold sometime. ( I don't remember when she said)

She is supposed to call back if the other lady doesn't show or is not interested. Poor baby. I cannot imagine getting rid of one that you have had for 3 years -since it was born especially. I suddenly found myself REALLY wanting her!
I may call back tonight and see if that other person showed etc....
I can't stop thinking about her...

Anyway, just sharing.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Me neither. But for that price, you could get a baby malt in our neck of the woods. Or do you like that she's already trained?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Dec 15 2004, 03:46 PM
Me neither.  But for that price, you could get a baby malt in our neck of the woods.  Or do you like that she's already trained?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23526
[/QUOTE]

I can get one from my breeder for that price too-a puppy-but I wondered why she was getting rid of her, and I didn't want her to end up in a shelter...suprised me that she was a breeder and all...anyway...hope she is not a member of this forum with me on here talking about her

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
haha!
Where does she live? How can she not have time for a dog and be a breeder though?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 15 2004, 04:05 PM
I was just reading in my AKC magazine reasons why people give their dogs away.  Here are some of the:
Don't have time for a dog
Moving and can't take the dog
He follows me around too much and it bugs me
We're redecorating
It is playing too much with our other dog and we fell left out
We didn't know they shed
She has too much white hair
His ears never stood up
He is old and my kids want a puppy
He is smelly

Ohmigod, thos reasons make me SICK!  We are redecorating?!?!  What kind of reason is that?  Can you imagine what this person must be like in person?  How selfish and materialistic!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23532
[/QUOTE]

:eek: Those are AWFUL reasons!!!!

Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Dec 15 2004, 04:05 PM
haha!
Where does she live?  How can she not have time for a dog and be a breeder though?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23533
[/QUOTE]

I wondered the same thing...but I would rather her admit she can't have ONE more than for her not go get the love and attention she deserves...ya know?!
BTW-it was in the Tennessean classifieds...a 931 area code.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There was an apricot toy poodle in the petfinder around this area. The reason for the owner getting rid of it was because she got new furnature and the dog didn't match anymore! Can you believe that! What a..."If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think since she is a breeder, she can only care for so many (usually, the ones they can breed or are showing). Many breeders retire and place dogs that they no longer breed. Their reasoning is that they deserve a one person home who can give them the love they need.

I agree with that. But it is sad. Most breeders will have their special ones that they will never retire even when they can't breed them anymore.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 15 2004, 03:31 PM
There was an apricot toy poodle in the petfinder around this area.  The reason for the owner getting rid of it was because she got new furnature and the dog didn't match anymore!  Can you believe that!  What a..."If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23539
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Aww, sounds like you would be saving that dog from being awfully unloved over there.

Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 15 2004, 03:31 PM
There was an apricot toy poodle in the petfinder around this area.  The reason for the owner getting rid of it was because she got new furnature and the dog didn't match anymore!  Can you believe that!  What a..."If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23539
[/QUOTE]
That is so messed up!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I could never give Kodie away after 3yrs... for any of those reasons.. I would work around my problems.. and make time for Kodie. I love my Kodie man
Dont these people bond with their animals? I really hope you either take that poor little girl in or she finds a good home ASAP! I would never want to see her end up somewhere bad.... or homeless. Shes only little bigger than Kodie too..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Oh people who get rid of dogs for reasons like Nichole said make me soooo mad i thought i was an awful person when i had to get rid of my dog that attacked a kid but then people just go and get rid of their dogs becuase of stupid reason like that just grrr i mean at least a dog like a maltese is pretty likly to find a home (most small dogs do) but so many prefectly health, sweet (even if not totally train) dogs who did nothing wrong just get dumped off

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the parents of my mothers boss (thats a weird relation) recycled their pets. it was really sad...they would aquire a pet, have it for a yr or two then give it away to try another. my vets office actually adopted one of their cats. hes the sweetest cat, you can do n e thing to him and he doesnt care. i cant imagine n e one would want to give him up. so there are a lot of weird ppl out there.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 15 2004, 08:52 PM
the parents of my mothers boss (thats a weird relation) recycled their pets.  it was really sad...they would aquire a pet, have it for a yr or two then give it away to try another.  my vets office actually adopted one of their cats.  hes the sweetest cat, you can do n  e thing to him and he doesnt care.  i cant imagine n e one would want to give him up.  so there are a lot of weird ppl out there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23603
[/QUOTE]

:eek: Sounds like trading in cars or something!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah thats basically what it was like..horrible isnt it

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
People give up their dogs for a ton of reasons, but usually the bottom line is they really didn't think about the 12-15 year "for better or worse" commitment they were making when they fell in love with a puppy.

I adopted my Lady at age 4 when her first owner abandoned her because she started having seizures. Adopting an older dog can be challenging as, like with people, bad habits can be hard to break. Lady refused to walk on grass for one whole year, had no clue about walking on a leash, and had many potty accidents in the house in the beginning. Often an adult dog will need a puppy class or even a personal trainer to help overcome some of the baggage she brings with her.

With that said, adopting an adult dog is a wonderful decision. You can really get an idea of personality rather than taking potluck and see if she is compatible with your other dog and your family as a whole. You also can see what size she is and what type of coat she has if that's a consideration. You also get a better idea of what her future health will be, although most genetic problems don't show up until after age 3, so she may be a bit young to tell.

If you do decide to adopt her, I'd take her to your vet immediately and have a basic blood panel (like the do before a spay or dentistry) done, plus have your vet check her thoroughly (especially her knees). That way there won't be any surprises (or heartache) down the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts