Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have to say my little girl is a trooper. She's sleeping most the time but every now and then she's awake and does these tiny 'puppy like' grunting/whining noises that make me a nervous wreck! She ate a tiny bit of dinner tonight because she was hungry. We went outside and she piddled for me. Things are great while she's sleeping! lol

I will have to say I'm not too happy at how my new vet handles pain meds. My old vet gave an injection that lasted 24 hours and then I would start pain meds the next day. Callie didn't have any pain meds it seems. I was told to start tonight and give it to her every 12 hours. When I questioned if she's had ANY pain meds., the tech looked a bit unsure and said...well just the one she's given for surgery. Is there such a thing? So as soon as I got her home I gave her the 1st dose. It's one I'm not familiar with. My old vet used to give me Metacam. This is Buprenorphine Oral. They are pre-filled syringes of 0.1 ml which seems to evaporate the minute it hits her gum tissue. So that is kind of nice. Anyone have any experience with this pain med?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm glad everything went fine and she is now at home where she belongs resting. :)

I know you'll make sure she gets the proper pain meds. I suppose some vets do not want to medicate the dogs themselves, but instead have the owner do the 1st dose? With infections, etc, my vet says they do not dose the dog there at the clinic to make sure the dog doesn't get doubled up on meds. They give all meds to take home.

But, my vet does do the 24hr pain injection and follows up with pills if neccessary. My two were fine without any additional meds besides the pain injection.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Glad Callie is home and safe with her Mummy :grouphug:

I do remember Lola had a pain injection that lasted her a good 24 hrs I think. In fact the pain meds she got seemed to work so well you could hardly tell she had had anything done. She was acting so normally. She is one tough cookie ;)

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Yes, Crystal, my two did get a pain med injection prior to coming home and then start the medecam the next day.

But bless your little babies soul, she is in the best of hands. Oh I love her and your whole crew and you.

Girls are amazing. I remember, the very next day, up popped Mia, walking like a cow girl, but bless her heart, she was her same little self, and the operations are more extensive on girls.

Leo, dear Lord above, he's a smart little stinker, and just knew something was different.

Anyway, I would read up first on the meds your vet gave, and then see what it has to say. If you are not comfortable with it, call the vet today.

Crystal, do you beleive, when some people I know have had spay/neuter opeations, they come home with no pain meds. So I guess, all vets are different.

But I am used to the same as you. And your already so focused on her getting better, and with having a different vet, any change, will make you feel a little uneasy. I know that's how I am.

Give sweet kisses, to Callie for me, much love.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Glad that Callie is home and resting. I do know what you mean about being anxious whenever she makes a sound as if she isn't comfortable.

My Vet has always given the 24 hour injection and then prescribed metacam. I'm not familiar either with the one you were sent home with. Maybe Jackie or Jamie will see this and let you know. If not, send Jamie a message on FB and she's get back to you, I'm sure.

Sending prayers that Callie's recovery will go well. Give her hugs from Awntie Lynn.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
So glad Callie is home and resting - give her kisses from us!

Tessa had Buprenorphine in an injection when she was so horribly sick and in so much pain last year. It really spaced her out and I had a stoned little doggy but they gave her a pretty good dose. I was singing "Yellow Submarine" to her when she was loopy and asking her if she was looking for little purple bunnies. She actually did fine with it - it let her rest quietly while she healed.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Glad to hear little Callie girl is doing well after her first night!

Crystal, please give her hugs and big kisses from Ullana and me! We wish her a quick recovery!
Hope you can calm down a little bit?!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So glad Callie is home and resting - give her kisses from us!

Tessa had Buprenorphine in an injection when she was so horribly sick and in so much pain last year. It really spaced her out and I had a stoned little doggy but they gave her a pretty good dose. I was singing "Yellow Submarine" to her when she was loopy and asking her if she was looking for little purple bunnies. She actually did fine with it - it let her rest quietly while she healed.
Thanks Maggie. I bet that's why Callie's gate is so weird right now. It had me concerned that something happened to her back legs. I also wonder if maybe she doesn't like the stoned feeling and that is contributing to her whimpering/grunting. Well that and the fact that she was just plain hungry. She kept wanting to go to the kitchen to her food dish. I gave her a little more food around 2 am and then at 5:30 a full breakfast. So far she's kept it down. Gave her a 2nd dose of pain meds at 6:00.

We had a very restless night and we are all heading back to bed. Hopefully now that Callie has a full tummy, we can get a few hours of solid sleep.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Hope you all can sleep a bit after the restless night!

I'm happy to hear Callie has eaten this morning! That's a good sign!

Sweet dreams ...!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Crystal,

Lucy's little front left paw is tender also - I did remove the tape from her paw (the IV site) - that seem to be bothersome to her.

Lucy ate amazingly well this am - I gave her a smaller portion - I will give her several throughout the day - I gave her one tablespoon of (canned) pumpkin to help get things moving, so it doesn’t become a problem with the pain meds.

Allie

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Sounds like Callie is doing well....she is eating and sleeping and home with her Mommy, who loves her so much!!!! Does Jett pace around her wanting to roughhouse??? Sending love to that precious baby!!!!:heart::heart::heart:

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing well:wub: No, haven't heard of the med you mentioned. We had the Metacam, too. The important thing is that it works!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Well I"m glad Callie girl is home and resting. I hope the loopiness wears off quickly. Ben (as we all know) was a mess after anethesia and pain meds for his neuter and both dentals. It's so hard to see them like that. Our babies are so fragile. Hoping she'll start bouncing back today and by the weekend she'll be back to her wild, happy self! xoxo

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crystal,

Lucy's little front left paw is tender also - I did remove the tape from her paw (the IV site) - that seem to be bothersome to her.

Lucy ate amazingly well this am - I gave her a smaller portion - I will give her several throughout the day - I gave her one tablespoon of (canned) pumpkin to help get things moving, so it doesn’t become a problem with the pain meds.

Allie
It's Callie's back legs that are looking weird when she walks. So far I've not noticed her favoring a front leg. I've not been able to see a shaved spot on a front leg either because she keeps herself curled up pretty much. I don't know if they can do the IV another place, like the back leg. I know her front legs are so delicate that the vet could never get a good blood draw there.

I may have to give Callie some pumkin or sweet potato if she doesn't pooh today. She's piddled for me several times since I brought her home. Since this morning was her first full meal, she probably won't need to pooh until this evening.

Sounds like Callie is doing well....she is eating and sleeping and home with her Mommy, who loves her so much!!!! Does Jett pace around her wanting to roughhouse??? Sending love to that precious baby!!!!:heart::heart::heart:
Thankfully both Zoe and Jett are being great with her. They are pretty much leaving her alone but do come and check on her with some sniffs from time to time.

Well I"m glad Callie girl is home and resting. I hope the loopiness wears off quickly. Ben (as we all know) was a mess after anethesia and pain meds for his neuter and both dentals. It's so hard to see them like that. Our babies are so fragile. Hoping she'll start bouncing back today and by the weekend she'll be back to her wild, happy self! xoxo

You know it just amazes me how differently they can react. Zoe was prancing around the next day after her spay like nothing happened. It was WORK to try and keep her quiet. Now after her dental, she had a harder time. Callie's pretty much still all hunched up and trying not to move much. At least she's not trying to lick her incision. I think that would require her to move into an uncomfortable position.

Thank you so much everyone for you concern, love and prayers. We really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I'm so happy Callie is back home. I think Zoe and Jett know she's had surgery and to be extra gentle with her at this time. I've always thought the other fluffs just know when something isn't quite right. So, I'm sure they are concerned about Callie now. Crystal, I hope you and Callie can get some sleep and much needed rest today. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
So glad to hear that Callie seems to be doing better and that she has eaten.

Yes, just like humans, they all react differently to surgery and anethesia. Lacie had a very hard time with her spay and it seems to take several days after anethesia for her to return to normal. Tilly came home the afternoon of her spay and wanted to start playing with Nellie and was jumping all over the place. It was hard to keep her quite.

Get some rest, gf. Sounds like you need it. I know the fluffs will enjoy curlling up with their Mom.

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
Good to hear she is doing better, maybe after being still so long that is adding to her stiffness while walking, that along with being uncomfortable to begin with. I'm sure by tomorrow she'll feel better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts