Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm such a nervous mommy...I seem to know what I'd do when others come here with concerns, but when it's my own....I just need reassurance. :blush: Also I worry with the coming holiday weekend, do I call the vet today 'just in case'? Callie is 16 1/2 months old and I've had her almost 7 months now. She has never thrown up once since I've had her. She is always super playful in the morning while I'm getting their breakfast ready. This morning she woke me up, went down to the foot of the bed and threw up. It was just liquid. Then she got off the bed and went into the living room and threw up white foamies in 2 different places. So I know her tummy is empty and that can be why she's throwing up. So I'm getting their breakfast ready and no one is running around like crazy. Usually all 3 are little maniacs but really unusual for Callie. And for the first time ever while I'm so close and on a normal schedule, she used her piddle pad. Our normal routine is they eat, and then go outside. She ate breakfast like normal and went outside with the others and pooped. Now all 3 are wanting to go back to sleep. That in itself is not so unusual. So....do I call the vet today and just have her checked since I'm sure they won't be open all day tomorrow or the rest of the weekend? I have given her some of my Ginger/Mint tonic which will help settle her stomach. Jett is my 'urper'. I don't worry so much about him because it's not so unusual. Zoe only throws up when she eats something outside at my parents house. And she throws it up fairly soon after she's eaten it. Callie has never thrown up...so it has me concerned. And that she's not her playful self. No food changes and nothing new in the treat dept. Why can't this happen during a normal week when I don't have to worry about a holiday schedule with the vet?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i think just watch her for a lil while , dolce has thrown up from time to time n has been fine in a little while , for reassurance u can call the vet but i would just see how she does after her nap , i hope callie feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I think just watch her too, Jodi has thrown up like that in the morning and is OK later. I hope she's feeling better soon. Of course things to make you worry happen when a holiday is coming up.

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Oh Crystal - hugs to you! I think if she's not her playful self, I'd call the vet just to be on the safe side. That way you can rule out an infection or anything serious that would cause a problem over the long weekend. Mine "urp" on occasion; if they are still very playful I don't worry but if one of them is acting like they don't feel quite right, off we go to the vet.

Let us know how Miss Callie is doing later today!

Maggie

Tessa says: "Callie, youse gots to get well so we kin pway together agin!"

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Crystal, did she eat earlier than usual last night? Dinner is served early at my house so bedtime calls for a small snack to avoid morning empty tummy foamies. Did she eat breakfast with no problem? Ginger mint has been a lifesaver for us on many occasions. Since you are going to be with her all day, maybe you can wait till mid-day and see how she feels before calling the vet? I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
oh no...so sorry to hear this Crystal! If I were you I would call the vet just because I would be a nervous wreck and I am not experience enough to know what to do.......things like this always happen during the busiest/ most inconvenient times!! Grr...I hope Callie feels better soon!! ((HUGS))

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crystal, did she eat earlier than usual last night? Dinner is served early at my house so bedtime calls for a small snack to avoid morning empty tummy foamies. Did she eat breakfast with no problem? Ginger mint has been a lifesaver for us on many occasions. Since you are going to be with her all day, maybe you can wait till mid-day and see how she feels before calling the vet? I hope she feels better soon.
No, she ate a little later then normal...which is becoming the norm anymore. And she did eat breakfast with no trouble. But I may need to be a bit more generous in bedtime snacks. Good thought.

~~~~

We are at the store now and she's acting more herself and even going for some of the various chews that are strewn about back here behind the counter. So I think I'll wait until more around noon like Debbie suggested before calling the vet if she starts to act sick again.

Yesterday a really good customer came in with 2 of her dogs, one of which is a puppy. All 4 were gated behind the sales counter and Callie and the puppy played like crazy! They were both exhausted when she finally left. So maybe she needed a bigger dinner since she exerted more energy then normal?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yesterday a really good customer came in with 2 of her dogs, one of which is a puppy. All 4 were gated behind the sales counter and Callie and the puppy played like crazy! They were both exhausted when she finally left. So maybe she needed a bigger dinner since she exerted more energy then normal?
That's possible. Dora is a big girl but when she has a big day with lots of running around it can take her a day to get back to normal. She doesn't usually throw up but she is definitely slower the next day.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Poor Callie. :smcry:I'm so glad you're with her today. Every once in a blue moon Tyler feels a little off. Has spit up twice since I got him over a year ago. Dragging around a little and the PRESTO he was himself. I worry every time but then he surprises me. I have to say that he is totally not himself when he has really worn himself out either playing or with a ton of company around. He just needs a rest day and then is fine. I'm happy she's starting to feel a little better. Might just pass. If not you can still get the vet tomorrow morning. Sending prayers that she'll be fine:)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Poor boo boo, it sounds like she is doing better. Sometimes they throw up for no apparent reason and are fine afterwards. I hope that's the case and she continues to improve. She's way too cute and sweet to be under the weather.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Now you are in the same shoes I was in before Christmas weekend. Remember Benny's foot ordeal?! It's never a good time but before a holiday weekend it's even more stressful.

I would call the vet and find out what their hours are for tomorrow. Maybe give Callie today to see how she does but schedule an appt for tomorrow just in case. You can always cancel the appt if she is back to normal. Poor baby....I hope it's nothing serious and she feels better soon. That wild girl needs to ring in the new year on a good note! Please give her smoochies from me. xoxo

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hope Callie feels better...Chloe has thrown up like that a few times and then she went right back to her normal self.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Crystal -- it doesn't sound serious and I probably won't call the vet. Sounds like she's having a "off" day all of us sometimes have and that maybe her tummy was empty and that's why she threw up. She sounds like she's doing better and I don't think it's serious.

I would be the first to tell you to take her to the vet if I thought that the vet could do something to help.

Hugs -- I know that when it's OUR own fluff -- we are much "less rational" than when we're trying to help someone else about one of theirs.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Poor little buggaboo... sounds normal to me. Maybe she was just hungry or maybe she ate something from the yard or floor you didn't notice that upset her tummy. Dogs throw up. I know you're nervous since she has been so non-problematic...which is a great thing... but try not to worry too much :) Extra hugs for Callie

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm sorry you have to worry about Callie. Poor little girl.

My opinion is that she's just having an 'off' day and is fine other than that. What happened sounds exactly like an empty tummy to me -- London gets the same way if she doesn't eat breakfast early enough in the morning. It is really difficult sometimes because she is offered breakfast usually no later than 7am but wants to go back to sleep instead...so it's almost unavoidable sometimes. Preston chooses to go back to sleep as well, but he doesn't get an upset tummy if he doesn't eat right away.

If she ate her breakfast and seems fine now, I wouldn't call the vet. She will be fine. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts