Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I thought I'd ask my fellow SM members since I've found that there are a bunch of beautiful people on here (maltese lovers couldn't be any different) with varied interests and I've learned so much from all of you already -

As a child I used to help my mom can all sorts of foods - being italian, especially tomatoes and tomato sauce. This summer I had set out to go back to the basics and try to can some stuff again so I bought jars, tools, etc. but work got in the way and I missed the boat. But now for example, in NY, apples are abundant and I'd like to take the fam. apple picking - But what do I do with all the apples? I mean how many apple pies could I make? So I'm thinking I could make lots of apple pie filling and can it so that I could make apple pies or other stuff at my own leisure. My family especially loves the mini individual apple puffs that I make (I make them in the winter time especially) so I buy lots of the Comstock canned apple pie filling but it's pretty expensive here and I'd like to make my own anyway.

So any of you know how to make apple pie filling and can it for long term preservation out of the fridge? What is the procedure? What would you say is the shelf life?

If any of you have want to share other canning recipes, by all means feel welcome to do so - I'm always looking for a great canning recipe.

P.S. One thing I DID manage to do this summer with my fresh herbs is make herb infused EVOO - so easy, yet so very good. I especially love the rosemary and pepperoncino oil which we use to drip on top of pizza.

I wish I lived on a farm sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The apple puffs sound good!

I always use books from our local extension office for canning and freezing because I assume they will recommend the safest methods. I've never canned apple pie filling though.

I just googled the words "canning apple pie filling extension office" and saw a bunch of canning recipes for apple pie filling. Look at the ".edu" sites and see if there's an extension office recipe for apple pie filling that suits you.

Have fun picking apples!

Joy

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Try making applesauce. I always froze mine, had a huge freezer. So easy to make, guess it could be canned.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
We're North of you in Dutchess County and there's nothing like the bounty of local apples! Yuuummmmmm!
I freeze rather than can. I too used to help my Mom who canned everything from stewed tomatoes, peaches from our own trees, applesauce etc. We had a good size garden so lots of things were canned . Back then she used a pressure cooker and it always scared the bejeebers outta me LOL .

I freeze applesauce and apple pie filling. I do quite a bit like in the link here. Putting in freezer bags is wonderful for storage space!
How to Freeze Apples for Pie Filling | eHow.com

When we first moved here we too had a garden and I did freeze basic tomato sauce ( I seasoned later since I used the sauce in various manners and wanted to season accordingly. )

My friend makes apple jelly. I don't care for the 'store-bought' but her homemade is divine!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Boy do I remember that pressure cooker too. The little thing on top hopping around and the pot sounding like, "Stand back, it's gonna blow!":w00t: I'd be petrified to try it now (have seen them) but to my mom it was second nature.
I'm another one of you apple (and pear and peach and berry) picking fools:) It's such a great thing to do with family and/or friends.:chili: Somehow the apples aren't that much of an issue to me. i make pies, strudel, applesauce, baked apples, etc. Plain apples store for a really long time in the refrig. without going bad. So I've never frozen anything with them but I do canning with berries and peaches. I do freezer canning rather than traditional and it works out fine. You can get all kind of canning recipes if you google Ball jars I believe. Love all that fresh fruit though:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts