Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're considering a Cherub Maltese pup from Dale. I've done a lot of homework & haven't found any red flags about this breeder (just some concerns about multiple breeds, but otherwise reputable). No posts for reviews have been made on the MalteseOnly site. I'm curious to know if anyone on SM has a Malt from Cherub, has any additional info I should consider before moving forward (feel free to PM me), and if you could post a pic of your Cherub fluff if you have one.

Many thanks! I'll post pics & update when we make a final decision & bring our pup home.

Dahlia

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Jane and Dale have some beautiful dogs. Good luck with your search.

Experience The Magic
HOME

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I find their Home Page very "wordy". Also passing off wrong information:

Maltese are the most gentle of all the toy breeds
and no breed of dog is more intelligent or more trainable than a
little Maltese.

LOL ~ Are you kidding? "No breed of dog is more intelligent or more trainable than a little Maltese". That, alone is a pile of crap.

Cherub Maltese: Quality Maltese for pet and show

I'm not saying Maltese are NOT intelligent, however; they are not exactly on top of the Einstein list.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Dale and Jane had bred top winning Japanese Chins for a number of years. They inherited the Maltese. There are a number of breeders who had a couple breeds and do a wonderful job with all of them.

And Soda Pop is quite offended that you don't think he's Einstein, Deb LOL

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I find their Home Page very "wordy". Also passing off wrong information:

Maltese are the most gentle of all the toy breeds
and no breed of dog is more intelligent or more trainable than a
little Maltese.

LOL ~ Are you kidding? "No breed of dog is more intelligent or more trainable than a little Maltese". That, alone is a pile of crap.

Cherub Maltese: Quality Maltese for pet and show

I'm not saying Maltese are NOT intelligent, however; they are not exactly on top of the Einstein list.
Lady's more in the category of Forrest Gump!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Lilly is from Cherub. I couldn't be happier! I flew down to Dallas to pick her up. He was very nice and helpful. I spent a couple hours with him while I picked out my pup. I would definitely get another pup from him. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Debbie

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Dale and Jane had bred top winning Japanese Chins for a number of years. They inherited the Maltese. There are a number of breeders who had a couple breeds and do a wonderful job with all of them.

And Soda Pop is quite offended that you don't think he's Einstein, Deb LOL
:HistericalSmiley: ~ Don't be offended my Soda Pop. You, and your mom, are an
exception. You, my little one, are an Einstein. Love ya!! :wub:

Marj, my house is full of Forest Gumps. And forever will be ~ :yahoo:

God help me ~ LMAO

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I own three maltese and a yorkie. I love my maltese more then anything else in the world...but.....um.....they're not always the sharpest knives in the drawer...... :w00t:....omG did I just say that?! :blush:

BUT they are the sweetest and the most beautiful.....that's for sure!!!! :chili:

·
Registered
73 Posts
BTW..I don't think it is right for anyone to pass judgment or offer opinions on a breeder unless they have first hand knowledge. Your perception does not equal first hand knowledge.

Yung, can you please chime in?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
All of my Maltese have been smart, intelligent little dogs. Roo in particular is a bit too smart for his own good. Soda is the smartest dumbest dog I've ever had. You can train him to do complicated behaviors but he can't figure out how to follow a cookie when you throw it.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Hey, as long as they can find the puppy pad and their food I'm happy with the IQ (low that it may be). Cosy! THat does not mean poo is food!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
BTW..I don't think it is right for anyone to pass judgment or offer opinions on a breeder unless they have first hand knowledge. Your perception does not equal first hand knowledge.

IMO, i don't think any 'rules' were broken. Nobody was saying anything wrong about Cherub as a breeder, merely questioning the validity of a statement on the website. I have to agree with most of the comments that maltese aren't on the top of my smartest dog list, but there are always exceptions!

I personally don't have a problem with a show breeder having multiple breeds - but only if those multiple breed are well kept and are bred wisely to contribute to bettering their breed, not just being bred for puppy sales.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stacy-

Thanks for chiming in. I have been meaning to thank you...you answered my question when I couldn't decide between a boy and a girl. Your answer opened me up to getting a girl and I couldn't be happier! Lilly is such a sweet pup. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Stacy-

Thanks for chiming in. I have been meaning to thank you...you answered my question when I couldn't decide between a boy and a girl. Your answer opened me up to getting a girl and I couldn't be happier! Lilly is such a sweet pup. Thanks again!
I don't remember what I said, but you're welcome!!! Lilly looks like a little doll :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

You are right. Only members with firsthand knowledge of a breeder are supposed to respond.

Here are the rules pinned in this section:

We are glad to offer information here on SM that can help people purchase from a reputable breeder.
However, in order to be fair to all concerned, please abide by the following rules.

Posts not complying with these rules will be either edited or removed, at the discretion of the Admin/Mod team.

1. Please only reply if you have first-hand experience with the breeder.
2. Do not make speculative posts of what you "think" the situation "might" be.
3. Do not post anything based on what you have heard.
4. Out of courtesy to the original poster, please stay on topic.

It is recommended that those looking for a Malt research any breeder by doing searches here,
on Google, and to consider who is on or not on the AMA list, AKC list, as well as noting any violations
on each and every breeder you consider.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts

The only opinion, I offered, was disagreement with a statement.

Yep, Maltese are NOT the most intelligent dog. They don't even come close.

You have no idea how many Maltese have come thru my door, as a result of "disappointment" with the original owners.

I don't "sugar coat" anything.

As far as passing judgment. Nope, I don't know this breeder.

Why would you ask Yung to "chime in"? That's a bit silly.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Matilda is very smart, she knows all sorts of words, stops when I ask her if she wants her top knot out, she rembered my son had a motorcycle and gets so excited when she hears one. :wub:
B&B well she isn't the brightest, but she can make you laugh with her funny little things she does.:wub: Both girls pee on command:HistericalSmiley:what more could you ask for:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I don't know the Martensons but have seen some of their dogs being shown and thought they were nice representations of the breed. There are some outstanding breeders in the dog world who breed more than one breed. I agree with Stacy. It's all about how the dogs are being raised and cared for. As for Maltese being the smartest and most trainable dogs, I think most dogs are smart and most are trainable. A lot depends on how they were raised as puppies and how they were trained as youngsters. I'm no Einstein but I do have intelligent and nicely trained Maltese ... those that I've raised myself and those that I've adopted through rescue. I think intelligence, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Which one of mine is smarter ... the one who does the retrieve on command or the one who looks at me as if to say "you threw it, you go get it."? :w00t:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
All of my Maltese have been smart, intelligent little dogs. Roo in particular is a bit too smart for his own good. Soda is the smartest dumbest dog I've ever had. You can train him to do complicated behaviors but he can't figure out how to follow a cookie when you throw it.
You could have been talking about Jazz right there. Took me about a minute to teach him to roll over but he couldn't find his own butt if his life depended on it. I go back and forth between thinking he's either a genius, or dumb as a rock. Pixie however, is too smart for her own good.

Ok, done derailing now. Back on topic!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.