Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Maggie is 11 months old and every time my Mother comes through the front door from a trip to town, etc....Maggie wee-wee's right on the floor. She is wagging her tail and is very excited but it's only with my Mother that this happens. Now, my Mother has been the disiplinarian on a few occasions (would that have anything to do with it).....or do you think it is from sheer excitement at seeing her? I am hoping it's an age (puppy) thing and that it will go away. Help!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kissyfur@Nov 9 2004, 05:28 PM
Hi there,

Maggie is 11 months old and every time my Mother comes through the front door from a trip to town, etc....Maggie wee-wee's right on the floor. She is wagging her tail and is very excited but it's only with my Mother that this happens. Now, my Mother has been the disiplinarian on a few occasions (would that have anything to do with it).....or do you think it is from sheer excitement at seeing her? I am hoping it's an age (puppy) thing and that it will go away. Help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15614
[/QUOTE]

Hi, Maggie is doing what they call "submissive urination". She is showing your mother that she defers to her as alpha. Here is an article that explains it....
http://www.perfectpaws.com/subr.html

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes thats what it is...submissive behavior....some grow out of it others dont...my mother's yorkie is 6 and still does it. you have to ignore them when you walk in, wait until they calm down, and sometime this helps. we just learn to go straight outside and talk to her there b/c nothing else worked. i hope yours grows out of it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
sometimes they are just very excited too...

Abby did this a couple of times when my mum came over - but doesn't seem to anymore.

I think I read a bit on submissive urination because I was concerned (she would also pee right at my side). I think from memory the info I read told me to completely ignore what she had done, and try to make some other way of her showing her respect.

Apparently some pups don't know how to "show" their respect to you and this is how they think they can do that. If you react to it, then they more or less think it's right. Instead, when your mum gets home, get her to make your pup sit and then maybe teach her something like shake hands - do it every time with lots of praise etc and show her that there is a more appropriate way to show that she loves someone....

don't quote me on this, it's all from memory on some reading I did a while ago... if you do a google search you should find plenty on it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Caesar's mom! I feel ya! When we greet Cloud all loud and excited, he tinkles. But when we enter the room calm with a calm voice, then he's totally less likely to tinkle.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Now, my Mother has been the disiplinarian on a few occasions (would that have anything to do with it)

Yes, that could have something to do with it. When you say "disciplinarian", does she hit yor puppy? Your puppy could truly be frightened and the submissive peeing could be from fear.

One of the rescue groups recently took in a young (1&1/2 year old) male dog that the owner was convinced was "hopeless" as far as housebreaking. He would even pee all over her shoes when she took him out of his crate. It turned out that her husband was "disciplining" (abusing) the dog and he was terrified.

BTW, he never had a an accident once he went into foster care and his new adoptive Mom says his potty manners are 100% perfect!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 9 2004, 10:46 PM
Caesar's mom!  I feel ya!  When we greet Cloud all loud and excited, he tinkles.  But when we enter the room calm with a calm voice, then he's totally less likely to tinkle.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15684
[/QUOTE]

Thats funny. It is just so cute how excited he gets...the pee part isnt cute, but the whole jump up and down pant and run around that he does when he is so excited he just cant stand it is just adorable.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Kissyfur@Nov 9 2004, 05:28 PM
Hi there,

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15614
[/QUOTE]

Its normal everytime i go to my friends house maxi see's her son and he wee wee's ,maxi likes him so he gets excited and pee's its normal

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
its either submission urination or excited urination:

The solution: have your mom ignore your dog when she gets home. dont even look at her and walk right by her. tell your mom to feel calm and just walk slowly. this will definitely help. and also have your dog go potty right before your mom comes home.
good luck tell us how it goes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts