Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching Amazon.com and reading all the customer reviews, hoping to find a really great book to read. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
daughters of navareth is a great book,it is a true story about a women who was put in a orphanage when she was young,it tells of the horrors she went through,and the many foster homes she went to,it swings from past to present.it has some real surprises in it,i loved it,it is written by patricia hughes..................nat and elmo.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
OK I havent been able to pick up a book in a long time. But one of my favorites is called "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon and its a series so if you like it, look out. You'll be in for alot of reading... I know at the time I read it she had a cult like following and a bunch of my friends were really into it

Second I read the Davinci Code recently and one of his others but that one was the best of the two.

Hmm wish I had time to read again

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by TwoMalteseMommy@Mar 18 2005, 02:31 PM
I have been searching Amazon.com and reading all the customer reviews, hoping to find a really great book to read.  Does anybody have any suggestions? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44233
[/QUOTE]
What Genre of books do you usually enjoy reading?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 2happymalts+Mar 18 2005, 04:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TwoMalteseMommy
@Mar 18 2005, 02:31 PM
I have been searching Amazon.com and reading all the customer reviews, hoping to find a really great book to read.  Does anybody have any suggestions? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44260
[/B][/QUOTE]

I like many types of books- mainly: Biography/Memoir, Romance, Mystery & Thrillers, Drama, the Classics, Fiction, Inspriational, etc.. nothing technical, like a computer book...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Mar 18 2005, 08:02 PM
Wild Swans

Actually, I love reading books based in Asian countries.  I especially love them if they are written by a person from that country and it is true or based on the truth.  I'm on a China kick now. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44308
[/QUOTE]
Me too!!! It's funny because I feel like I can relate soooo much with these books. My parents never actually sat down with us kids and explained our culture or religion, and these books help me out in that respect. I just love the stories and knowing that my grandparents went through some of those struggles and hardships when they first came to the US makes me see them in a different way. I have a million times more respect for them now. I actually have a list of new Chinese nonfic, and biographies in my car for the next trip to the bookstore. I can't pick a favorite, but I loved Thousand Pieces of Gold...can't remember the author though. It made me cry!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you're not looking for something entirely thought-provoking, just something to keep you interested and entertained, try the Shopaholic series books - I believe it's like Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, and Shopaholic Ties the Knot. They're fun books - I really enjoyed them.

If you are looking for something a little deeper, try Blackbird and Stillwater. They're these memoirs of a woman and they're amaaazing. She grew up poor and her mom died and then she was forced to live alone.. I loved them.

The Lovely Bones is always a good choice also :D Hope I helped a tiny bit...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I also really enjoy reading works by Asian and Asian-American authors (I also love Chinese and Southeast Asian films). I am sure this has something to do with the fact that I am part Polynesian and was raised on a South Pacific Island.

Here are some titles I have really enjoyed:

Author: Amy Tan (I enjoy all her works)

The Joy Luck Club
The Kitchen God's Wife (My favorite)
The Hundred Secret Senses(loved this one, too)
The Moon Lady

Author: Maxine Hong Kingston

The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts

Author: Ha Jin ( I love all of his writings. Haven't read his recent works, but plan to. The ones I read and enjoyed are:)

In the Pond (brilliant political satire)
Waiting
The Bridegroom

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree with puppylucy...the Shopaholic series is hilarious! Along the same lines of "fun" girly stories... my favorite authors are:
Jane Green (personal fave: Jemima J, about a "larger" girl finding "true love" via the internet and what she did to become the person he "thought" she was);
John Welter (personal fave: Night of the Avenging Blowfish. very dry humor. you'll either "get it" or you wont. plot about a covert nighttime softball game between the CIA and the Secret Service. to me, hilarious!);
Carl Hiaasen, a Florida writer that all Floridians should read. Some characters make appearances in more than one book, but several are based on real (often scandalous) Floridians;
(cant remember the author) if you think you have a "night mare boss"...try reading "The Devil Wears Prada". Freaking hilarious.
and if you have teenage/preteen friends/relatives...borrow their copy of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and the sequel, "The Second Summer of the Sisterhood". A very well-told story about friendship. Definitely a "young adult" book, but SUCH a good book, both of them. Very light, easy-read stories, but the "Second Summer" definitely comes with a "tissue alert"!!!!!

I love the idea of this thread, I hope this is one that continues to stay "up top" for quite a while!

Thanks for all the recommendations so far...I'm writing them down

ann marie and the "read to me, please!" buttercup

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by TwoMalteseMommy+Mar 18 2005, 06:32 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 04:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TwoMalteseMommy
@Mar 18 2005, 02:31 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44260

[/QUOTE]

I like many types of books- mainly: Biography/Memoir, Romance, Mystery & Thrillers, Drama, the Classics, Fiction, Inspriational, etc.. nothing technical, like a computer book...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44277
[/B][/QUOTE]

I recently read Three by Ted Dekker it is a mystery/suspense and I have to say it was a worthy read, I didn't even figure this one out (had my ideas) which is rare for me. It is pretty good 400 pages and hard to put down.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Mar 18 2005, 07:02 PM
Wild Swans

Actually, I love reading books based in Asian countries.  I especially love them if they are written by a person from that country and it is true or based on the truth.  I'm on a China kick now.  Not too much for Korea unless I want to read military-ish books written by American servicemen who served during the war.  BORING!
[/QUOTE]

You'll love "The Good Earth", it's a classic based on a Chinese family and the way women were treated in the Chinese culture. It was a great book.

Another 2 favorites of mine are:

The Celestine Prophecy and ANYTHING by John Edward (the Psyic Medium) I just finished his book called "Afterlife". Anyone that has questions about an afterlife and what happens to our loved ones (2 and 4 legged variety) should read his books.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma+Mar 22 2005, 01:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DMZ dogs
@Mar 18 2005, 07:02 PM
Wild Swans

Actually, I love reading books based in Asian countries.  I especially love them if they are written by a person from that country and it is true or based on the truth.  I'm on a China kick now.  Not too much for Korea unless I want to read military-ish books written by American servicemen who served during the war.  BORING!

You'll love "The Good Earth", it's a classic based on a Chinese family and the way women were treated in the Chinese culture. It was a great book.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45370
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hey, Wild Swans is on my list!! Now I have to get to the book store!! The Good Earth is an awesome book!!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts