Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Heartworms are passed by mosquitoes. So a mosquito would have to bite one dog and then the other to pass it. I would be less concerned about getting it directly from the beagle than I would about the fact that you know your dog was exposed to an area with mosquitoes carrying heartworm. If your dog is not on preventative then get it tested and started.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Heartworms are passed by mosquitoes. So a mosquito would have to bite one dog and then the other to pass it. I would be less concerned about getting it directly from the beagle than I would about the fact that you know your dog was exposed to an area with mosquitoes carrying heartworm. If your dog is not on preventative then get it tested and started.
jackie- should dogs regularly be on heartworm medication if they are in a mosquito plagued area? It's something that they continuously take rather than for a certain period of time as a puppy/young adult?

thanks!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Only if the mosquitoes carry heartworms. Your vet should be able to guide you on the incidence and necessity of preventative in your area. In some areas it is cold enough in the winter that prevention is only necessary in the warmer month. In other areas it does not stay cold enough long enough so pets should take prevention year round. If you need to use heartworm prevention it is for the lifetime of the dog starting from puppyhood on.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
watch out for slugs as they can also carry heartworm .

Oh My Goodness! :new_shocked:
Slugs can carry heartworm??!
I see slugs in my area!!!
I had Coco in the cute cut of short body & long hair on all legs.
Last night as I took her for a short walk,
she got some slugs on her long hair. :eek:
I was so grossed out that I immediately bathed her and scissored off all her pretty long hair.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
We have HIGH heartworm risk in our area so I feel the need to have my two on the meds. My Naddie was heartworm positive when she went into rescue and was treated and I pray she never has another bout so I'm diligent with the meds. I sure don't want her to have to go thru a new round of treatment!..nor do I want Mr Quincy to be at risk!

I also want to state that many people have the false security that if their pooches don't go out , or only for a very short time thay can't get the disease. However if you have heartworm in your area, it only takes one tiny 'carrier' mosquito to pass the disease on. Even if pooch never goes out ( which is rare I believe)... just opening a door can allow a tiny mosquito to get inside un-detected.
Soo if there is considerable heartworm in ones area... I think a pooch needs to have the meds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.