Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Brush Bella is brushed out at least every other night, and she is professionally groomed at least every two weeks, lately, I am noticing mats in her fur everywhere -- under her arms and expecially around her neck.

I really started to notice the mats when she began doggie obedience school. She is out on long "training" walks three times a day. At the beginning of school I had her wear a harness. She came home with unbelieveable mats on her "wing bones". I reluctantly switched her to a collar. Then I began to notice mats around the front of her neck. Last night I discovered them under her arms and on the back of her legs.

In addition to being trained on the leash, she and her new buddy Topper are in constant play when they are together. Can Topper also be contributing to the mats?

I wanted to let her get a full coat, but I think that perhaps socialization is more important that having a glamour girl.

Any suggestions? Can anyone recommend a good detangler?

Thanks.

Sharon

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi gets matted when she plays a lot. Also she gets mats under the harness if she wears it a lot. This only seems to happen when her hair is longer. If it is short it doesn't matt as much (or not at all).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
u can use the show leashes that showdogs wear so that ur baby doesnt get mats around the neck from a harness or collar..
its a very thin leash with a slip on thin collar so theres no matting

i cant find any sites that sell them,but they have a cushiony padding on around the neck area so its not harmful for them

also , playing causes mats too

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Refresh my memory - how old is Bella now? She may be getting her adult coat if she is 9 months or so. That can cause lots of matting during that in-between stage.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Shareyn+May 26 2005, 12:29 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@May 26 2005, 09:59 AM
Refresh my memory - how old is Bella now? She may be getting her adult coat if she is 9 months or so. That can cause lots of matting during that in-between stage.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65466
Bella is 9 months.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65529
[/B][/QUOTE]
When Peanut was that age, his mats were a nightmare. Constant combing and brushing is the only way I could stop the mats.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Bingo!

How about a puppy cut for the summer until her adult coat finishes coming in, then you can try to grow it out again when the weather gets cooler?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
chesey is about the same age as Bella and her coat is changing. I would say , put her in a puppy cut . Until her coat has changed. Before you take her too the groomer who might shave her down because of the matts . Try the bless the beast detangling shampoo. i-D Matt detangling spray. That will get the matts out and then take her to the groomer for the puppy cut.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Chelsey@May 26 2005, 11:40 AM
chesey is about the same age as  Bella and her coat is changing.  I would say , put her in a puppy cut .  Until her coat has changed.  Before you take her too the groomer who might shave her down because of the matts .  Try the bless the beast detangling shampoo. i-D Matt detangling spray.    That will get the matts out  and then take her to the groomer  for the puppy cut.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65545
[/QUOTE]

Can I buy the products at a store or do have I to order on-line?

Thanks.

Sharon

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Shareyn+May 26 2005, 01:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@May 26 2005, 11:40 AM
chesey is about the same age as  Bella and her coat is changing.  I would say , put her in a puppy cut .  Until her coat has changed.  Before you take her too the groomer who might shave her down because of the matts .  Try the bless the beast detangling shampoo. i-D Matt detangling spray.    That will get the matts out  and then take her to the groomer  for the puppy cut.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65545
Can I buy the products at a store or do have I to order on-line?

Thanks.

Sharon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65592
[/B][/QUOTE]

you have to order it on line. I can't find it in any stores. there is a topic on it that has all the links for ordering on line. In the grooming section... I suggest going to www.qvc.com
Bless the Beast 3 PC Detangling Grooming Kit by Bo Derek
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%...ass=&Submit4=Go

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by mee@May 26 2005, 07:55 AM
u can use the show leashes that showdogs wear so that ur baby doesnt get mats around the neck from a harness or collar..
its a very thin leash with a slip on thin collar so theres no matting

i cant find any sites that sell them,but they have a cushiony padding on around the neck area so its not harmful for them

also , playing causes mats too

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65464
[/QUOTE]

they sell those leashes at http://petedge.com

here's the link:
http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?itemType=INDEX&itemID=778

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I was also thinking about one of those. question can the puppys head slip out of that leash. Even when I watch the dog shows it looks like they can get loose.
I can actually get one from the Rens pet store supply

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i did some grooming a few days ago with the shaver, and i saw huge mats behind sprite and ellies ears. i thought it was how i was petting them...and it turned out that they mouth eachother there. lol

so ellie has a few bald spots

1 - 15 of 15 Posts