Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....................................SESAME STREET.....................................I named my baby after a sesame st character"ELMO",what is the story to your baby's name?he may not be red,but if he could talk i imagine him to be cute and clumsy like the sesame street character.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I posted this on my intro, but that was MONTHS ago.

ButterCloud--That's my boy! When we got him, I was trying to think of a name for him on the ride home. I thought of Cloud because he's white (DUH) and because it was a cloudy day. But we still weren't sure about the name. That day was long and exhausting with all the driving and we woke up really early to pick him up so when I took a nap, I had a dream I called him Butter! And my bf loved that name too! We couldn't decide, so we named him ButterCloud!
We usually call him Cloud though.

Noriko--My forever baby girl. She was suppose to be a Japanese Chin, hence the japanese name. But when we saw her picture, we had to get her! But kept the name. It came from this Japanese animation serious that we love, Fushigi Yuugi.

For some of ya'll who knows us for along time, I know this was boring, but for all the new folks, I hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 15 2005, 02:16 PM
I posted this on my intro, but that was MONTHS ago.

ButterCloud--That's my boy!  When we got him, I was trying to think of a name for him on the ride home.  I thought of Cloud because he's white (DUH) and because it was a cloudy day.  But we still weren't sure about the name.  That day was long and exhausting with all the driving and we woke up really early to pick him up so when I took a nap, I had a dream I called him Butter!  And my bf loved that name too!  We couldn't decide, so we named him ButterCloud!
  We usually call him Cloud though.

Noriko--My forever baby girl.  She was suppose to be a Japanese Chin, hence the japanese name.  But when we saw her picture, we had to get her!  But kept the name.  It came from this Japanese animation serious that we love, Fushigi Yuugi. 

For some of ya'll who knows us for along time, I know this was boring, but for all the new folks, I hope you enjoy!  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43381
[/QUOTE]
i found it very interesting,thanks for your input..........................nat and elmo.........ps,love the names too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Mar 15 2005, 03:18 PM
I posted this before on another thread, so I cheated and copied and pasted this.  :D

Noodle started out with a Korean name, "Gap-Dole". Eventually, his nickname of Noodle Head started sticking and he has been just plain Noodle for years now. He has GOBS of nicknames, though.

Cookie started out as Cookie. Some of the names I tossed around before naming her included Kimchi Princess and Popcorn. (Not sure what my food name obsession is all about.) My then co-worker came up with the name "Peanut" and really wanted me to name her Peanut. But, I didn't really like it--she just didn't seem peanuty. Then he suggested Cookie and I liked it right away. Naturally, he tries to take full credit but in the end, it was MY CHOICE to name her that, so I take credit.  She doesn't have too many nicknames under her belt yet. I was careful for months to use only her name so that I wouldn't confuse her. (She used to respond to "Noodle".)

--new--
When we are being formal, it's Sir Noodle Head and Miss Cookie Monster.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43394
[/QUOTE]
Love the names.......how cute.my hubby has many nicknames for my elmo,you may think they are mean but picture a big aussie male who's rough and tuff with a maltese,the names are said out of fun:weasel,3 black dots,broad arse,dish mop,raggy,weepy,peanut brain and many more i can't think of. :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My husband and I are both former dancers, with my husband being a former professional classical ballet dancer and now a ballet master.

Sylphide (pronounced Silfeed) comes from two romantic ballets. The Sylphide is a mythical winged creature of the air who dwells in the forest. Ballerinas dancing the part of the Sylphide always wear fluffy, delicate white tutus. We felt this would be very appropriate for a lovely little Maltese.

We live in a ballet town (New York City ballet has their summer season here)…so a lot of people get the connection when they hear her name, although many think we are saying Sophie.

As for Shrek, that's what his breeder family named him, and since he knows his name we haven't had the heart to change it. Since Shrek is also a mythical forest creature, we figured--oh well, it fits with the theme
Although, my husband really wants to call him "Gordito" - Spanish for chubby fellow, since Shrek is such a chubby glutton. He just loves food! He was huge when we got him and he has grown so much since then. He's a giant Maltese puppy :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
My husband and I are both former dancers, with my husband being a former professional classical ballet dancer and now a ballet master.

As for Shrek, that's what his breeder family named him, and since he knows his name we haven't had the heart to change it.

Sylphidesmom, Little Miss Muffett, was also named by her breeder and we to didnt have the heart to confuse the poor girl with a change of names!
My 4 sons ranging from ages (at the time) 15yr to 23yr. were not to crazy about calling out " Come here Little Miss Muffett", "good girl Little Miss Muffett!". But a Moms gotta do what a Moms gotta do. Right?

Roses name had been Rosa, we just modified it a bit.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first Malt's name was Rosebud and when she was gone and it was time to get another I started looking on the Internet for names and found a site that had names for babies. One of the names listed was "Kalika" and in parenthesis next to it it said (Greek: Rosebud). So, I chose it right away as a way to honor the memory of Rosebud, yet have a unique name for Kallie. So, even though her formal name is Kalika I never call her that. I meant to spell "Kallie" as just "Kali" but somewhere along the line, I forgot about that so it ended up "Kallie".

Catcher is named for the character "Catcher Block" from the movie Down With Love. It's one of my favorite movies and in the movie Catcher is such a mischievous and lovable bachelor with a sparkle in his eyes and I thought that would be a cute name for my male. I named him as soon as I put the deposit down on him and the name fits him perfectly.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley came from a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movie. There was a Golden in there named Brinkley...and I always liked that name. I didn't want a "white dog" name-no offense to those that have them
. I usually like "people" names...but this one stuck with me.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 15 2005, 01:41 AM
So we thought about it and after looking in one of my MANY Disney books (actually it is the Official Disney Encyclepodia--who knew one existed, but I own it! 
  ), we found the name Toby.  If I recall correctly, it was either from the Great Mouse Detective or Rescuers Down Under.  His middle name, Nero, was from the other movie.  Also, I liked the name Toby because Toby Keith is one of my favorite country singers and he looks a lot like my hubby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43399
[/QUOTE]

Toby is from Great Mouse Detective, he's the hound dog in that movie. I only knew that because my dachshund was named Toby from that movie. When we were visiting my aunt she had two dogs left from a litter of dachshunds and one of them attached to me and I fell in love. My aunt decided to give him to me because she saw the connection. My mom called to ask my dad and he said no. She told him how attached I was and he finally said ok only if he could be my brother's dog (my middle brother out of my three brothers) because...well I don't know but he had a reason. Anyway we agreed that we would call him Jonathan's dog but in reality it was my dog. So Jonathan got to name him. He was young and he had just watched The Great Mouse Detective and thought that the dachshund looked like the dog in that movie (even though they weren't even the same breed!) so he named him Toby. We all didn't like it because we knew his reasons for the name so we kept the name my aunt gave him (Doctor) and changed Toby to Tobias so it was Dr. Tobias and we all called him Toby.

Anyway now for Fantasia's name! I had wanted a dog so bad because we had just gotten our first apartment and moved out of my in-laws house so I was all alone when John was at work all day. I knew I wanted a female Maltese but they were all so expensive we couldn't afford one right away, so I started looking for names. I checked baby name books and online and I still couldn't find the perfect name. Then I told John about my frustrating search when we were in the kitchen and he just blurted out Fantasia! I loved the name and was mad that I took days to find a name and came up empty and he just came up with a perfect name in a split second! I told him I was mad and asked him how he came up with that name. He pointed to our microwave and said, it's the name of our microwave! I looked and there was a piece of paper on the microwave that said Fantasia, but I later found out that the paper was actually from inside one of my Disney cups. So we had the name before the pup.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Honestly I can't remember... Here is what I think (and tell people)...
I have a coffee table book called "The Drink Bible", it just has the prettiest pictures of drinks in frosty mugs, and glasses, and it really is just so pretty. At first I was going to get a boy and name him Cosmo, but then I found "Puppy 1" and I fell in love, and it Martini just popped in my head.

I just love names that can be shortened, so we call her Tini more then Martini.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Mar 15 2005, 09:56 AM
Honestly I can't remember... Here is what I think (and tell people)...
I have a coffee table book called "The Drink Bible", it just has the prettiest pictures of drinks in frosty mugs, and glasses, and it really is just so pretty. At first I was going to get a boy and name him Cosmo, but then I found "Puppy 1" and I fell in love, and it Martini just popped in my head.

I just love names that can be shortened, so we call her Tini more then Martini. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43436
[/QUOTE]

I love the name Cosmo! I would never have thought of that one.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Little Peanut came from the fact that at 12 weeks Peanut weighed a pound. His sister was huge compared to him. The breeders named him Pikatsu after the Pokemon cartoon, and I thought it was cute, but it didn't seem to fit him. So that first night home with us I was all over Pikatsu just totally obsessed with my new dog, and I kept talking to him and telling him that he was such a 'little peanut head'. It kinda just stuck.

This is a great topic, I've been trying to figure out a good name for my new puppy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This IS a great thread. I too thought that her name was pronounced SilFide. We should all give the pronunciations with unigue names because all along in my head I've been mispronouncing poor Sylphide's name.

I told my husband I wanted another dog because my schnauzer wasn't a lapdog, she wasn't a play dog either, she has always been an independent cat-like dog. I told DH "I want a little fluffy dog, an Izzy type foo foo dog to cuddle with me." From day one, even before we found our maltese, I referred to her as Izzy Bella and he referred to her as Sweetie Bella. I won. It's pronounced Is Z Bell La

·
Registered
249 Posts
Harley is named after the Harley Davidson motorcycle. Since my husband has one & cherishs it I thought he would cherish this little furbaby too & boy he sure does!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I decided on the name Lacey because I wanted a girly name for my little girl. I keep telling her she is suppose to be my delicate, little princess. Of course she is all tomboy. If I had found a male puppy I was going to name Duncan. I thought that was a cute name.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts