Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , just joined the spoiled maltese because my husband and i suffered the worst loss of our live's. Our 3 year old maltese got cancer. It started on his skin as cutaneous lymphosarcoma. We brought our little guy to the vet several times and they kept telling us it was allergies. We then brought him to 2 other vets and they finally found out it was cancer.He ended up getting 4 kinds of cancer in the end. It was terrible. He was such a fighter , we did chemo for him and the vet said he lasted longer then most dogs would. He was such a little trooper. He wanted to stay with us as much as we wented him too.
Finally on March 31 we decided enough was enough we needed to stop his suffering. We gave him to God.
Our house is so lonely without him. We are now looking for a maltese puppy or 2 but we are scared because we know they will never be like Jake. We are also trying to find good breeders in our area. We live in MA , boston. SO if anyone knows of any please let us know.

We almost bought 2 puppies from Lap top MAltese but i got nervouse and backed out. Does anyone know If they are good breeders?

I am just writing because i want everyone to make the vet do test's even if they think other wise.
I am now reporting the vet I was seeing because if he diagnosed Jake in October he might be alive today.
It took till the end of Dec to finally get a true diagnoses.

thank you for listening....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I am so sorry to hear your sad story. I cannot offer advice on breeders local to you, because I went out of state myself. I would gladly refer my breeder, but there are alot of posts about many US breeders in the breeders section that will help you much more.

I do want to offer some encouragement, or maybe some support in your choice to get a puppy (or 2), because I had these same fears. I lost my previous maltese to cancer, and it was not an easy thing. I had the same worries about getting a puppy as you do. That I wouldnt find one just like her, or one that I wouldnt bond with, or one that was mean or something. I ended up with a great little girl and she has helped me tremendously.

I still miss Holli very much. Every couple of days I'll imagine if I were to see her again how happy would she be to see me, etc. And I cry still. But Phoebe has been such an amazing help and so much fun. I did all that worrying for nothing.

Good luck in your search! I'm sure you will get the right puppy.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I am sooooo sorry to hear about your loss!! Jake is in a better place now without pain.
I know words aren't that comforting, but just think about all the good times you shared together.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Jakes Mom,

I am also very sorry that your little boy was taken in such a horrific way and at such an early age...I will say that your little Jake will never be replaced...you will always love his very soul as he did yours. He had his own unique way about him and no matter if you get thousands of these little ones they will all be different in there own way. The way he looked at you or the way he nuzzled your neck or the way he ran for you when you returned are all his own and will never be duplicated.

I know these little furballs do have similiar qualities and they may have the same demperment, but the love that is in your heart for Jake will never be replaced and he will greet you again.

I wish you luck in finding another little one to love and call your own.

May the hand that now plays with Jake reach down and help guide you as you search for your new little one.

S

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.....I hope you have good luck in your quest for another baby. Your Jake will be on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you, till then he'll romp and play with all our babies that are there! Blessings to you and your family, I pray the pain in your heart will ease soon...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I am sorry for your loss... as our family went through a similar situation.. Our beagle was sneezing a lot and (not to get gross but) snot would shoot out and blood sometimes too. We took him over to the vet many many times throughout 1yr and they told us its only allgeries... well... it turns out.. it was a tumor in his nose cavity and it was cancerous. We had to end the suffering for your pup too last year in Feb... it was the hardest thing to deal with... i was so angery... and still am today. I HATE (sorry to say HATE) that VET OFFICE! Everytime i go in there.. they tell everyone "ohhh its allgeries... " for every problem a dog comes in with. I just dont see how that can be true for EVERY dog... and it wasnt in our case.
If you see blood all over the floor... it doesnt take a doctor to figure out something isnt right! We didnt know much about animals at the time.. so we trusted our vet... we know differently now.

I just wanted to say that your NOT alone. I know how hard this can be... its happened to me... Thank you for enjoying SM... we are all here to help you out and listen! I wish you the very BEST with finding a new baby to love. Dont think of it as replacing Jake... but instead remember your giving another little one a really good home (there are soo many maltese out there with no home..
). Just keep us up to date on your hunt for your new baby!

Kodie and I send our love.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I can only imagine what you went thru. Good luck in your search to find another amazing Maltese. You can also check out rescues. That's something to think about. Take care.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about loss of your Jake. I think vets do often attribute problems to being the simplest causes and it sometimes isn't the case. I am sorry that Jake wasn't diagnosed in time.

I think a maltese puppy would be great for you. He/she wouldn't replace Jake, but would have a different place in your heart.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story with us. It may help someone some day....

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you must feel. I think it is easier (maybe) when the dog is older but 3 is so young that this sort of thing just is not expected.

My first Maltese Rosebud was euthanized in June 2002 at age 12-1/2 and I still miss her. Just last night I was looking at her photo and feeling sad. I put a deposit down on Kallie the very next day after Rosebud was gone because I was afraid I would be afraid to love again. I bonded with her right away and have deeply bonded with Catcher, too.

It is amazing how deep our love is for these little guys.... I guess all dogs engender that in their owners but I think with Maltese it is even more so.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I too am sorry for your loss. I know a new puppy will help you through this difficult time.

I checked out laptop maltese http://www.laptopmaltese.com/ and think they are good breeders. They don't let the pups home till they are 12 weeks old and they get the parents and the puppies vet checked. They also have links about puppy mills and are against selling their puppies at pet stores. Those are all good signs. If you want, I would check them out again. Maybe go see their house where they breed the dogs and visit the parents and the pups. Even if you don't buy from them, it might cheer you up. You can also ask the breeder more questions face to face.

Somewhere on this forum there is a list of questions you should ask the breeder but I just can't find it right now. Can someone please post those questions. Marj usually posts them when people ask. We should have it as a sticky somewhere.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss
I hope you find a breeder that you trust and are able to bring home a little one to add to your life. I know we had looked into breeders in Ma. when we were looking , my husband has(at least I hope he saved it) all the paperwork that has the names and #'s. I will check with him when he gets home and see if there was a good one in your area. We got several breeders names from another breeder here in Ct. that is very... reputable . Until then a big
from me and my Littleman

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I looked at Laptop, too, and there were a lot of pluses... They are certainly worth looking further at... they appear to be a responsible breeder.....

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Thank You for sharing with us your sad story of Jake.It must have been so hard for you and your family.Im so glad you have joined us here at SM,we are here for you to cry about Jake or cry tears of joy with your new love when you find one.
WELCOME Please keep us posted on your search.Smooches & Hugs from me and mine

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
aw i am so, so sorry for your loss
i can't imagine losing my lucy.

i think you should def get a new puppy, you'll still be able to love him/her

we're all here for you

and welcome to sm!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
So glad you found SM. I hope that we can provide some comfort for you at such a difficult time. Welcome

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how empty I would be without Brink. They steal our hearts so hard and fast!
Good luck in your search for another pup. That is exactly what I would have to do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts