Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

CANIDAE

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Ladysmom 
#1 ·
Puddles has always picked at his food, unless we are trying to eat dinner and someone in our house sneaks him a bite....grrrrrr

I have been feeding him Canidae for 4 months (since we got him). He will eat it but does not wolf it down. I thought maybe he didn't like it and was going to change, but he does weight 8 lbs now. So he is gaining weight and is good on the chart.

I don't understand the ingredients for do's and don'ts. If any one here knows about dog foods, can you please check out the web site and like me know if this is a good product. If its good for him, I will keep him on it.

www.canidae.com

Thanks for any advice you may have. :D

#2 ·
I am not an expert by any means...many people on here are MUCH more knowledgeable about this subject than me...
I looked at the ingredients and it looked ok to me. Looked natural...from what I could tell...real ingredients...said it had coat condtioners and whatnot...that is a plus...I liked the sound of it. I did look to see if I could get it anywhere around here...and i cant. <_< I can order it from petfood direct-and the price was not that bad.
I am not opposed to trying something else myself.
I always wonder about how much Brinkley is eating...he seems to go in spurts-he started on Science Diet-now he is on Purina Pro Plan (neither of which many on here would recommend)-but the vet approved both...and he seems to be thriving on them for sure. His stools are solid and low odor...that is a plus...and at 8 months, he weighs almost 8 pounds-definetely healthy.
Anyway, although I truly understand and believe that there are foods that are better ingredient wise than others...(ie:meat as a first ingredient)...many of the other good/bad comes from each individual's own opinions....likes/dislikes...preferences...etc. That is what I have discovered anyway.
(I bet you all wish I could JUST ONCE say something without rattling on! :wacko: )Sorry-don't think it is possible..

In conclusion...I would say that if puddles weighs 8 pounds and is healthy-I would think your food is fine- somehow or another...our two "pickers" are putting on the pounds...

#3 ·
There is a pet accessories store in my town that only sells the best dog food and Canidae is one that they sell. I looked at the ingredient list on their site and it looks great. There is no corn meal, which is a cheap additive or by-products. My Catcher loves the small breed Royal Canin..... he gobbles it up... even my Kallie wants to eat it... me too.. it smells so good!! :D If Puddles doesn't like Canidae you might want to try it.

#4 ·
I've heard that Canidae is great food. It's in the same category as Innova which is the one I feed Bella. Neither has by-products which is great. I would stick with it but if he doesn't like it, try Naturapet.com which is the company that makes Innova and they have different foods that you might try to see if he likes it better. If he's doing fine, I would just stick with it.

#5 ·
We also feed our dogs the Royal Canin, but we have been giving them the Mini Yorkshire style, it is small kibble also, but is great for their coats. They love it and their bodily functions do to
. Their breath is great and again it helps alot with their coats, since they have such similar coats to the Yorkie. It is not that expensive and we get it at Pet Smart...they seem to be doing well weight wise. Sophie is eating the mini puppy version of Royal Canin and at 4 mos weighs in at 3.6 lbs as of last week so she is doing well on it also...

G
#6 ·
Lacey too eats the Royal Canin. She eats it very well. I have been feeding since she came home. The Royal Canin has a natural brand that I have been feeding her. Not all of the pet stores carry this one, even if the store does carry Royal Canin. I am at work (lunch) right now so when I get home tonight I will post what it is.

#9 ·
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Oct 20 2004, 01:50 PM
We also feed our dogs the Royal Canin, but we have been giving them the Mini Yorkshire style, it is small kibble also, but is great for their coats. They love it and their bodily functions do to 
. Their breath is great and again it helps alot with their coats, since they have such similar coats to the Yorkie.  It is not that expensive and we get it at Pet Smart...they seem to be doing well weight wise. Sophie is eating the mini puppy version of Royal Canin and at 4 mos weighs in at 3.6 lbs as of last week so she is doing well on it also...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12677
[/QUOTE]

Hi, I had no idea that PetSmart carried Royal Canin.... that's good to know. Catcher has been eating the Small Breed "Mini Puppy". I didn't realize they had a formula just for Yorkies.... wonder why that is??

#10 ·
This is what it says on the Royal Canin website:
Yorkshire 28™ Formula
For Adult Yorkshire Terriers Over 10 Months of Age

Yorkshire Terrier
    The special characteristics of the Yorkshire Terrier, such as its exceptional coat, fiery temperament and trusty nature make it a very unusual breed that needs special attention, especially in terms of its food.

*  TARTAR CONTROL
      Promotes Healthy Teeth and Good Oral Hygiene

The Yorkshire Terrier is especially prone to tartar and dental plaque formation. These phenomena can be very painful and in extreme cases can lead to teeth becoming loose or falling out. Specially designed kibbles may help in the everyday maintenance of good tooth and mouth hygiene.

The texture and shape of the kibbles have been specifically designed to encourage the dog to chew thus providing a tooth cleansing action for the Yorkshire Terrier.

Long Coat Condition 

* LONG COAT CONDITION
      Healthy Skin and a Beautiful Coat for the Yorkshire Terrier Adult

The Yorkshire Terrier is known and appreciated for the silkiness, gloss and length of its coat.  Coat quality can be directly related to diet and a specially formulated food may help to prevent brittle, dry, greasy or dull hair and itchy skin.

Borage Oil (from the borage herb) and Salmon Oil, as sources of omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids are combined with Biotin (a B vitamin), to help maintain a silky coat and a skin in full health.

Exceptional Taste - Exclusive Savour 

* EXCEPTIONAL TASTE
      Encourage the delicate appetite of the Yorkshire Terrier Adult

Whether they are truly sensitive or just a little fussy, some Yorkshire Terriers may not enjoy and even sometimes refuse to eat their food.  To restore their desire to eat, a food in the form of soft kibbles, suited to their jaws and with intense flavors may prove to be essential.

Exceptionally tasty because of exclusive natural flavors and a selection of very high quality ingredients, like Chicken and Salmon Meal.[/B]

#11 ·
I think this article by the Animal Protection Institute is a must-read for every pet owner:

http://www.api4animals.org/79print.htm

Cannidae is an excellent food. So is Wellness, Breeder's Choice and several others. You can usually find the higher quality pet foods at the upscale pet stores. Most of their websites have a "store locator" feature to find store near you.

This site has a nifty feature that lets you compare ingredients in different pet foods:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

#13 ·
Thanks all for helping me with the food ordeal.
I feel better about Canidae now, just didn't understand it. My dad dogs grew up on Ol' Roy, but my breeder said not to feed it and several others, I can't remember.

Puddles has been eating out of Stainless Steel (food and water), told by breeder to use. He drinks his water well so I thought maybe it was the food. Last night after reading your replies, I changed to a ceramic dish. He started eating and has done well today eating. Now..Now...picky I say!!
Don't know why it would matter, but hes eating so I guess its ceramic from now on. He still not cleaning the bowl, but hes doing better with it.

#15 ·
You may have something there! When I put a few pieces on the floor, he will eat it. But hubby made me stop, said I was starting something and he may stop eating unless I handled it piece by piece. That when he gets hungry, he will eat where ever it is. But you know, hes my baby and any way I can get him to eat I will do it.. hehehehe :D

#16 ·
I wonder why Royal Canin would have a breed specific food just for Yorkies...?
It would seem to me...that other breeds would fit the same description that Lexi's mom posted about the Yorkie's that was put out by Royal Canin...wouldn't you thing that Maltese and Sh'zu's would also fit in most of the same descriptions? So why not make it for "long-haired toy breed dogs?" Just wondering...maybe it is silly-but thought it was odd to just gear it toward Yorkies when other similar breeds would reap the same benefits...and they would make more money...JMO

#17 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 22 2004, 10:43 PM
It would seem to me...that other breeds would fit the same description that Lexi's mom posted about the Yorkie's that was put out by Royal Canin...wouldn't you thing that Maltese and Sh'zu's would also fit in most of the same descriptions? So why not make it for "long-haired toy breed dogs?" Just wondering...maybe it is silly-but thought it was odd to just gear it toward Yorkies when other similar breeds would reap the same benefits...and they would make more money...JMO
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12998
[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should email them and ask them. I found Royal Canin's email address on there website. It is: info@caninehealthnutrition.com

#18 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Oct 23 2004, 09:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Oct 22 2004, 10:43 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12998

Maybe we should email them and ask them. I found Royal Canin's email address on there website. It is: info@caninehealthnutrition.com
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13007
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good idea!!!

#19 ·
I think Royal Canin has all those breed specific formulas now just to commericalize it. It's an old Brittish food that I fed my cats years ago with great results (cured my Fanny's chronic cystitis), then it became nearly impossible to find over here. Apparently Waltham is manufacturing it over here in the US and it's in the more mainstream market now, like Pet Smart. I'll bet anything the different formulas, like "Hairball", "Indoor Only" are just for the sake of advertising.

I was thrilled to find it again and my cats love it. It's their favorite. Recently, a couple of the upscale pet stores have stopped carrying it. When I asked about it, I was told it was because they changed the formula and are now using cheaper ingredients, specifically, corn. Corn is one of the top 3 allergy causing ingredients (wheat and soy are the other 2). Just something to pay attention to if you notice your Malt chewing itself a lot, especially it's feet.

As I say, my cats love it, corn or not!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.