Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! My baby Maltese is 10 years old, she was diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD) last month. CCD is very similar to Alzheimer in humans. It started about five months ago, she became more stressed, we could not brush her teeth anymore, she would bite us. We took her to the vet, they prescribed the CBD oil. Then, three months ago, we noticed she was staring at the walls and shivering. We called the vet again, they found out she had urinary infection, they prescribed antibiotics. *Note - They never mentioned she could have CCD. About one month ago, she started wandering around the house at night, went to the wrong side of the door, got stuck in places she never did, fell down the starts... she had all those symptoms in the same week. I googled those symptoms and I found out about CCD. We saw the vet again, she agreed my dog has CCD, she prescribed some supplements and anipryl (we started the medicine 2 days ago, I haven't seen any improvements so far). I would like to check if anyone had the same problem. If you did, what did you do? I also would like to ALERT you about this disease - once your dog reaches 8 years old, give him senior dog food and supplements (talk to your vet about fish oil, coconut oil...). This disease is terrible, there is no cure, we can only try to slow it down. I hope the medicine starts working, so we can have more time with our baby. Thank you! Sarah

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Sarah, welcome to SM---I am sorry you come to us under sad circumstances. Did your vet recommend a CT scan of the brain. That would be a logical step to me. You could try a University clinic for a 2nd opinion as well. Sending you hope & peace!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your support! Hope other people read this discussion and become aware of this disease. Early interventions is crucial!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello everyone! My baby Maltese is 10 years old, she was diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD) last month. CCD is very similar to Alzheimer in humans. It started about five months ago, she became more stressed, we could not brush her teeth anymore, she would bite us. We took her to the vet, they prescribed the CBD oil. Then, three months ago, we noticed she was staring at the walls and shivering. We called the vet again, they found out she had urinary infection, they prescribed antibiotics. *Note - They never mentioned she could have CCD. About one month ago, she started wandering around the house at night, went to the wrong side of the door, got stuck in places she never did, fell down the starts... she had all those symptoms in the same week. I googled those symptoms and I found out about CCD. We saw the vet again, she agreed my dog has CCD, she prescribed some supplements and anipryl (we started the medicine 2 days ago, I haven't seen any improvements so far). I would like to check if anyone had the same problem. If you did, what did you do? I also would like to ALERT you about this disease - once your dog reaches 8 years old, give him senior dog food and supplements (talk to your vet about fish oil, coconut oil...). This disease is terrible, there is no cure, we can only try to slow it down. I hope the medicine starts working, so we can have more time with our baby. Thank you! Sarah
Sarah, Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this. I have never heard of CCD but if anything like Alzheimers in people, I'm thinking that the medication may take a while before you see any improvement in symptoms. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sarah, Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this. I have never heard of CCD but if anything like Alzheimers in people, I'm thinking that the medication may take a while before you see any improvement in symptoms. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....
Thank you, Lori! She had good days and bad days in the last 10 days. She was so happy today, hope we can have more days like today! Fingers crossed! 🤞

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about what your dog and you are going through. I hope the supplements and anipryl help. {{{{}}}}

I've had a number of senior dogs, but we seem to have avoided that condition, knock on wood! But one of my dogs acted similarly when she had liver failure which caused ammonia to build up in the blood and affect the brain (the condition is called hepatic encephalopathy). So it's always good to have senior dogs get full exams including bloodwork.

Please keep us posted as to how your girl does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you! I will talk about that with our vet. She had bloodwork in November, 2021, everything was ok. There are good and bad days, she is so active on the goods days (eats, jumps...) but miserable on the bad days (she can barely walk). Hope the medicine helps, I heard it can take months... Meanwhile, I will try everything to keep her calm, a good night of sleep makes a huge difference. I will keep everyone posted! Thank you for your support!
I also would like to share this video with everyone here:

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
That is not the same thing as what I was referring to and the treatment is different

Hepatic encephalopathy is caused by liver malfunction. My dog was diagnosed and treated at the UC Davis (California) veterinary school. In hindsight, she had probably been showing signs of it for a long time before. Sadly her liver failed so badly and the symptoms that she was euthanized after 6 months of trying to control the condition. She was at least 11 by then, maybe several years older, but it was sad to see her go like that.

You can read about it here. Brain Disorder Due to Liver Disease in Dogs | PetMD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is not the same thing as what I was referring to and the treatment is different

Hepatic encephalopathy is caused by liver malfunction. My dog was diagnosed and treated at the UC Davis (California) veterinary school. In hindsight, she had probably been showing signs of it for a long time before. Sadly her liver failed so badly and the symptoms that she was euthanized after 6 months of trying to control the condition. She was at least 11 by then, maybe several years older, but it was sad to see her go like that.

You can read about it here. Brain Disorder Due to Liver Disease in Dogs | PetMD
Thank you! I will check it out. My dog does the head pressing, I think she may have this disease. This is so sad :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts