Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know this has been discussed a little bit here but i'm interested in what your opinions are on it now that it has been out a while and its been used and tested

I have never got our three the vaccine, my vet still doesnt recommend it and wont do it unless asked, some vets around here wont do it at all

I'm only wanting more feedback because our groomer now requires it for all animals, I hate to have to move groomers because they LOVE this one. it's also probably the most popular boarding facility close by and they are probably doing it because they have so many animals that interact together

heres a more recent article i found on it... Canine influenza vaccine found effective against secondary infections

so, what are your experiences and opinions???

·
Premium Member
10,200 Posts
I guess if it were me, Joe, I would ask your vet why they don't recommend the vaccine ... and why they will only give it if asked. Our vets office doesn't push the vaccine either and will only give it if asked. We have chosen so far not to get the vaccine for Snowball.

If I recall, last year in our area they were more concerned about Kennel cough. Although I do recall that last year in Fairfax, the news media reported the canine virus was on the rise there. I'm sure Jackie can give you more details on this though.

Just a thought, Joe ... do you think your groomer would make a visit to your house? You might have to pay them a little more. We are lucky because when I was sick last year, our groomer made house calls ... and, didn't even want to charge us more! She still will come to our home to groom Snowball. However, I insist on paying her more for the inhome visits.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
JMO

Dogs who are well-cared for have awesome immune systems, and don't need a flu shot. A healthy dog with a great immune system can be exposed to all sorts of things. Doesn't mean they will catch those things. I prefer a mobile groomer, who can be a little bit more personalized regarding things like shots, etc.

No canine flu vaccine will be given to my dogs. Not now. Not ever. And I don't give a fig what the CDC or the AVMA says.

I'm especially adverse to vaccinations since the scare tactics used last year on the human H1N1 flu vaccination - you know, that non-existent flu pandemic that totally fizzled out? And not to mention certain WHO officials who spread the fear are now under investigation because they have ties to the flu vaccine manufacturers - you know, those same companies who make canine vaccinations.

JMO.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think this vaccine is simply ridiculous and not necessary. If a dog has a good strong immune system there just is NO need for this vaccine .

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
JMO

Dogs who are well-cared for have awesome immune systems, and don't need a flu shot. A healthy dog with a great immune system can be exposed to all sorts of things. Doesn't mean they will catch those things. I prefer a mobile groomer, who can be a little bit more personalized regarding things like shots, etc.

No canine flu vaccine will be given to my dogs. Not now. Not ever. And I don't give a fig what the CDC or the AVMA says.

I'm especially adverse to vaccinations since the scare tactics used last year on the human H1N1 flu vaccination - you know, that non-existent flu pandemic that totally fizzled out? And not to mention certain WHO officials who spread the fear are now under investigation because they have ties to the flu vaccine manufacturers - you know, those same companies who make canine vaccinations.

JMO.
:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
JMO

JMO.

Last season's flu pandemic was hardly a "non-existent" one.

From a USA today article regarding last year's influenza stats:

Last year's U.S. toll: about 12,000 deaths, 60 million illnesses and 265,000 hospitalizations. New CDC statistics last week suggest flu strain mortality varies widely, from 3,000 in an exceptionally mild year to 49,000 in a recent really bad one — and it's impossible to predict how bad each year will be.

Here's a link to the article:

Flu shot Q&A: It's that time again, but just get one this year - USATODAY.com

Now, add in the number of people who didn't get influenza last year because they received the vaccines (114 million doses of seasonal influenza and 90 million doses of the special vaccine were administered) and the numbers are quite impressive.

Our area was hit hard with H1N1 last season. Employers lost of lot of productivity because of H1N1 cases and insurance companies were hit with an increased number of H1N1 claims for health care. Many schools had to be closed because of the outbreak of the virus.

I've already received my influenza vaccine for this season and other than a sore deltoid, I didn't have any other symptoms.

Back to the cainine influenza question: The decision to vaccinate your dog needs to be made between you and your Vet. I would think it would depend on outbreak risks in your area, your dog's risk of exposure if it's around lots of other dogs, and your dog's risk for getting the severe form of the disease.

Joy

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the feedback and links everyone, i think it just really sucks because she is the ONLY groomer/boarder who is requiring this vaccine in our area and it happens to be the one I go to, i'll discuss it further with my vet but I dont expect they will be getting it

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I would think if she faced the possibility of lost customers over this, she just might change her mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts