Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've done a search but I can't seem to find recommendations for canned food. I am feeding Angus Canidae dry (kibble) and want to include some wet into his diet (just for taste/variety sake, really). I am wondering if you (your doggie) have a favourite, one that is tasty but has high-quality ingredients.

So, any recommendations? Canidae has a canned food, and I could try that, but I thought I would see if the wise people here have any suggestions for good products to try.

Thanks!

PS
I have tried baby food and he didn't like it.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley likes the canned Chicken Soup. It has peas/carrots/potatoes in it...
I tried Science Diet, but that is the only other one...he didn't care for it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I tried the Natural Balance canned food before. Peanut didn't like it...he's way too picky about what he eats. The only canned food he actually ate was Nutro Lamb and Rice in the green can. That was after he had his teeth pulled and he had stitches in his mouth

·
Registered
195 Posts
All my furkids are on Chicken Soup kibble and canned. They get 1-3 Tblsps (depending on the size of the dog 2.5#-18#) in their evening meals and in the morning have kibble only. They all seem to love it with Deni, Corky and Ally sitting(or bouncing) around in the kitchen as soon as they see the can come out of the fridge. I do heat up the canned food in the microwave for 1 minute before mixing the kibble and adding vits/supplements/meds.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I just got some Merrick too. The boys love it. They're eating has been slowing down, so I add a little of the Merricks canned to their Artemis Kibble and they finish the bowl.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup prefers any of the merrick flavors (mmmmmthanksgiving day dinner!), wellness, and her newest yummy flavor is nutro ultra weight management (I KNOW!!!). i had a can of that from a while ago when i was trying to slim her down, and forgot about it. The Boy opened it up one day, and i was like "hey, i thought we didnt have any merrick left...." and he said "no, this is the nutro fat-kid food...." (I know!!!) it looks yummy, and she reallllly likes it. so for now, we have a good supply of merrick t'giving dinner and nutro ultra fat-girl food.

and aerobics to go with it!

ann marie and the "yeah, i'm fat. so what. i can also lick my butt. get over it." buttercup

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Prairie has a canned food that is also great. You can actually see the whole vegetables likes peas in it. Both of my maltese love it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Help me understand here about feeding canned food or people food. In all my years with other breeds human food or canned food was not a good idea. My Vet also discourgaged it.

I realize the BARF method is out for large dogs and no dry food is given.

It the Maltese breed different to the point they need canned or soft food ? I am getting a little fur ball in two weeks and the breeder has the pup on dry food moistened with water.

ConnieVa

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Jun 11 2005, 08:05 PM
Help me understand here about feeding canned food or people food.  In all my years with other breeds human food or canned food was not a good idea.  My Vet also discourgaged it.

I realize the BARF method is out for large dogs and  no dry food is given.

It the Maltese breed different to the point they need canned or soft food ?  I am getting a little fur ball in two weeks and the breeder has the pup on dry food moistened with water.

ConnieVa
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71711
[/QUOTE]
Connie, some say kibble is better because it helps with teeth cleaning, but I brush the boy's teeth anyways. Kibble is easier and cleaner (my boys are sloppy eaters), but the canned food gets them interested in eating. As for the people food, I only give them fruits, veggies and plain chicken occationally. my vet encouraged some fruits and veggies as treats. It's really your own decision what to feed your new baby. If the pup is okay with kibble, then stick with it. I really don't have any experience with other breeds, but one of my malts is so picky that he just stops eating a brand of food out of the blue so I use the canned and veggies and stuff to keep him interested. There are some fruits and veggies that can be toxic to dogs, so be careful if you do ever give your baby some people foods.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Kibble does not really make that much difference on the teeth. Brushing does. If you want to feed canned, that's fine. If you want to feed dry, that's fine, too. If you do homecooked, make sure you use a balanced recipe if you use it long-term.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Jun 11 2005, 08:05 PM
Help me understand here about feeding canned food or people food.  In all my years with other breeds human food or canned food was not a good idea.  My Vet also discourgaged it.

I realize the BARF method is out for large dogs and  no dry food is given.

It the Maltese breed different to the point they need canned or soft food ?  I am getting a little fur ball in two weeks and the breeder has the pup on dry food moistened with water.

ConnieVa
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71711
[/QUOTE]

Connie, this is a great question!

I won't get started on the methods, propaganda, and lobbying used by the pet food industry to make vets and people believe that dogs should only eat dog food....

but, I will say that some Maltese are very, very finicky as babies. Sylphide was like that. Her breeder had started her out on fresh boiled breast of chicken and well, it was difficult to get her to eat even that. We tried all the high end canned food, and she wouldn't touch it. We tried all the high end puppy dry food--and she wouldn't touch it. We had bags of untouched dog food all over the place. Eventually, we discovered the Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul brand of kibble, which she loves. We mix it with fresh boiled chicken breast or fresh boiled chicken livers. All 3 of my dogs are on this diet, and they are very healthy.

Now Shrek (our six month old) is another story altogether. He loves to eat, he lives to eat. He probably would have accepted any kibble and/or canned food.

I recommend that as you prepare for you baby, keep in mind that s/he might be a finicky eater and need for you to be aware and flexible with regards to options.

Good luck with your baby. Oh, what an exciting time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts