Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
I made some tomato sauce the other day and had lots.
Well now I want to make a new batch and can them... I bought all he canning stuff yesterday. I even got a book. Only thing that is throwing me off is adding the lemon juice in the bottom of the bottle ... won't that mess with the sauce flavor.
I also went on the internet and someone else uses sugar.

What is the best thing to do? I'm just about to start cooking my sauce.

Any tips.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think it probably depends on your taste.
I prefer lemon juice. I don't like sweet tomato sauce...
The sugar is supposed to help kill some of the acidity of the tomotoes.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by tlunn@Sep 22 2005, 03:59 PM
I think it probably depends on your taste.
I prefer lemon juice. I don't like sweet tomato sauce...
The sugar is supposed to help kill some of the acidity of the tomotoes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102221
[/QUOTE]

Oh thank you . You have really helped me alot

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
100 years ago when I was a kid
just kidding. But anyway when I was a kid my granny used salt in her canning jars. But then again that is when people could eat salt.

I had enough of helping with that stuff as a kid. My mom still cans and puts fresh veggies in the freezer. Believe it or not she even does it for us kids. Three of us. I have told her that my husband and I love that stuff and I appreciate all of her hard work but I refuse to do that stuff and I do not expect her to do it for us. But here is the last part and it makes my mom laugh everytime I tell her...........Green Giant does a real good job and he doesn't need my help.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i havent canned sauce but when i can tomatoes (crushed/diced) i use just a little bit of canning salt and a little bit of vinagar (substitute for the lemon juice) to maintain the proper acidity, usually a dab of sugar will help kill any acidic taste

of course "little bit" and "dabs" may not be on your measuring spoons :lol:

here is a good guide I usually look at to refresh my brain

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda...an_guide_03.pdf

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 23 2005, 01:53 AM
Green Giant does a real good job and he doesn't need my help.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102401
[/QUOTE]

That is MY philosophy as well...

Same with homemade biscuits, pie dough, etc....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I did it. I started around 12:30 pm washing and seeding and slicing the tomatoes.
I did that part on my lunch hour. Then at 6:30 I started making my sauce. I don't know why but I tried adding a bit of sugar to my sauce, not even the required amount according to the recipe on the internet. Well I did find out I don't like it sweet either. It still tastes good, but I like it the other way better.

I boiled the bottled and heated the lids. Thank goodness for my ophra mitts the ones that can take over 450 heat. It was way easier to use then thong thing. I did use it to take it out a bit, but then I could not use it to place in correct spot to cool. Gee that water gets hot. Well I only got six 500 ml Jars done. So sad I mean for the amount of tomatoes I used. I think I will try it again this weekend without the sugar..
or maybe this time just a pinch like Joe said
It sure is a lot of work, but way worth it. I think I finshed it around 9:00pm. Sorry but it does still taste better then green giant, If you have the time to do it. In this day and age it hard to set aside 4 hours for making sauce. Once a year I guess. How long will it last in the bottles. I mean expiration dates. I'm thinking of given them away for family x-mas gifts. Oh of course I want to perfect that bottling taste first. .I have always made my own sauce since age 14 so I wanted to learn how to can/bottle it..

Last year I did spice oils and packaged it very nicely. The year before that we did herbal body bath oils and bath salts ,my own products that I sell. I got a lot of orders after the gift giving

What do you guys think? Do you think it will be ok for X- mass. The first year we gave a lot of Umbra gifts vases and frames, they were really nice, but we spent way more then I expected too.
We have a family party at x-mass and it get kind of pricy and you end up with things you can't use. I prefer to give gifts that are useful then spend money on something you know the person may never use. It's very hard to buy a gift for someone you only see once a year.

Sassy's mommy how does your mom do the freezing?
Joe/ Tlunn, thanks for the information. It's very helpfull

My next project I want to try to make apple pie filling and bottle it. It will be way easier if the filling was already , ready . That will cut my prepairing time in half for my apple crumble. Any tips

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Sep 23 2005, 11:13 AM
Well I did it.  I started around 12:30 pm washing and seeding and slicing the tomatoes.
I did that part on my lunch hour.  Then at 6:30 I started making my sauce.  I don't know why but I tried adding a bit of sugar to my sauce, not even the required amount according to the recipe on the internet.  Well I did find out I don't like it sweet either. It still tastes good, but I like it the other way better.

I boiled the bottled and heated the lids.  Thank goodness for my ophra mitts the ones that can take over 450 heat.  It was way easier to use then thong thing.  I did use it to take it out a bit, but then I could not use it to place in correct spot to cool.  Gee that water gets hot.  Well I only got six 500 ml Jars done.  So sad I mean for the amount of tomatoes I used.  I think I will try it again this weekend without the sugar..
  It sure is a lot of work, but way worth it.  I think I finshed it around 9:00pm.    Sorry but it does still taste better then green giant, If you have the time to do it.  In this day and age it hard to set aside 4 hours for making sauce. Once a year I guess. How long will it last in the bottles.  I mean expiration dates.  I'm thinking of given them away for family x-mas gifts.  Oh of course I want to perfect that bottling taste first.  .I have always made my own sauce since age 14 so I wanted to learn how to can/bottle it.. 

Last year I did spice oils and packaged it very nicely. The year before that we did herbal body bath oils and bath salts ,my own products that I sell.  I got a lot of orders after the gift giving 

What do you guys think? Do you think it will be ok for X- mass. The first year we gave a lot of Umbra gifts vases and frames, they were really nice, but we spent way more then I expected too.
We have a family party at x-mass and it get kind of pricy and you end up with things you can't use.  I prefer to give gifts that are useful then spend money on something you know the person may never use.  It's very hard to buy a gift for someone you only see once a year.

Joe/ Tlunn, thanks for the information.  It's very helpfull 

My next project I want to try to make apple pie filling and bottle it.  It will be way easier if the filling was already , ready .  That will cut my prepairing time in half for my apple crumble.    Any tips 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102525
[/QUOTE]

The canned tomatoes last for a long time. I think a couple of years if the seal is not broken. As for the freezing of veggies my mom just prepares them like she is going to cook and then just heats them enough to kill the bacteria, she calls it blanching. Then she cools the veggies and bags them in freezer ziploc bags. So thinks like blueberries she just picks them and freezes them, but do not wash first it causes them to lose their moisture. Also, pecans, she shells them and freezes them. Your family is lucky to have you spend so much thought and time into their gifts.

I have a brother who travels the world with his job. He stays for months which turns into years in many locations. He normally makes it home about Dec. 23rd each year. I always try to do something special for him because he has given me some gifts over the years that I could never have received other than someone visiting the country it is from. Three years ago I gave him hot sauces. He likes "hot" so I shopped the entire year at specialty boutiques and found really neat labels, ie "heck has no fury" "Scorned Woman" "Hotter than heck" etc. I arranged the 12 bottles in a nice basket with translucent cellophane grass (similar to what you use at Easter) and then did shrink wrap. It turned out very pretty and looked so professional. He loved it. Then the next year I did specialty bread mixes, ie Jalopeno (sp?) cornbread
, Beer batter cornbread, etc. and I presented it in 2 bread pans. That was nice. Then last year I gave him "beer from around the world" and "Flavored Beers from around the world" I bought one of those galvenized tubs and filled it with the clear acrylic cubes that looks like ice (you can get then in the decor depts and in craft stores). I filled the tub with the imitation ice cubes and then the beer. It looked so neat. I have not decided what to do this year. He is in Egypt and will not leave there until Dec. 27th and for a Christmas present he is bringing his family over on the 13th (Dec). They will leave Cairo on the 27th and fly into Paris and spend 3 1/2 days in Paris. So they won't be home until after the new year. I have to come up with a neat idea. Any suggestions? He is such a level headed family man but for some strange reason had always wanted a Harley Davidson Road King. Well when he was home for 10 days about 3 months ago he bought that motorcycle. I guess he needed to just know he had one because he is always abroad. Anyway I recently found a Roak King embroidery design on the web and I downloaded it. I thought about embroidering the Harley on some nice polo golf style shirts. He can wear his harley shirts when he isn't home. What do you think? For his birthday I send a Harley Road King coffee mug. I mailed it on July 13 (b'day is 7/24) and he got it last week. I had been teasing him that one day he would be out and see some Egyptian riding a camel drinking tea from a Harley cup.

Sorry I was not trying to hijack your thread. I just wanted to say that you sure make special gifts for your family. We are revisiting a thread about pedigrees. I wonder if I am in your family tree? hint hint!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Sep 23 2005, 01:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Chelsey
@Sep 23 2005, 11:13 AM
Well I did it.  I started around 12:30 pm washing and seeding and slicing the tomatoes.
I did that part on my lunch hour.  Then at 6:30 I started making my sauce.  I don't know why but I tried adding a bit of sugar to my sauce, not even the required amount according to the recipe on the internet.  Well I did find out I don't like it sweet either. It still tastes good, but I like it the other way better.

I boiled the bottled and heated the lids.  Thank goodness for my ophra mitts the ones that can take over 450 heat.  It was way easier to use then thong thing.  I did use it to take it out a bit, but then I could not use it to place in correct spot to cool.  Gee that water gets hot.  Well I only got six 500 ml Jars done.  So sad I mean for the amount of tomatoes I used.  I think I will try it again this weekend without the sugar..
  It sure is a lot of work, but way worth it.  I think I finshed it around 9:00pm.    Sorry but it does still taste better then green giant, If you have the time to do it.  In this day and age it hard to set aside 4 hours for making sauce. Once a year I guess. How long will it last in the bottles.  I mean expiration dates.  I'm thinking of given them away for family x-mas gifts.  Oh of course I want to perfect that bottling taste first.  .I have always made my own sauce since age 14 so I wanted to learn how to can/bottle it.. 

Last year I did spice oils and packaged it very nicely. The year before that we did herbal body bath oils and bath salts ,my own products that I sell.  I got a lot of orders after the gift giving 

We have a family party at x-mass and it get kind of pricy and you end up with things you can't use.  I prefer to give gifts that are useful then spend money on something you know the person may never use.  It's very hard to buy a gift for someone you only see once a year.

Joe/ Tlunn, thanks for the information.  It's very helpfull 

My next project I want to try to make apple pie filling and bottle it.  It will be way easier if the filling was already , ready .  That will cut my prepairing time in half for my apple crumble.    Any tips 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102525

The canned tomatoes last for a long time. I think a couple of years if the seal is not broken. As for the freezing of veggies my mom just prepares them like she is going to cook and then just heats them enough to kill the bacteria, she calls it blanching. Then she cools the veggies and bags them in freezer ziploc bags. So thinks like blueberries she just picks them and freezes them, but do not wash first it causes them to lose their moisture. Also, pecans, she shells them and freezes them. Your family is lucky to have you spend so much thought and time into their gifts.

I have a brother who travels the world with his job. He stays for months which turns into years in many locations. He normally makes it home about Dec. 23rd each year. I always try to do something special for him because he has given me some gifts over the years that I could never have received other than someone visiting the country it is from. Three years ago I gave him hot sauces. He likes "hot" so I shopped the entire year at specialty boutiques and found really neat labels, ie "heck has no fury" "Scorned Woman" "Hotter than heck" etc. I arranged the 12 bottles in a nice basket with translucent cellophane grass (similar to what you use at Easter) and then did shrink wrap. It turned out very pretty and looked so professional. He loved it. Then the next year I did specialty bread mixes, ie Jalopeno (sp?) cornbread
, Beer batter cornbread, etc. and I presented it in 2 bread pans. That was nice. Then last year I gave him "beer from around the world" and "Flavored Beers from around the world" I bought one of those galvenized tubs and filled it with the clear acrylic cubes that looks like ice (you can get then in the decor depts and in craft stores). I filled the tub with the imitation ice cubes and then the beer. It looked so neat. I have not decided what to do this year. He is in Egypt and will not leave there until Dec. 27th and for a Christmas present he is bringing his family over on the 13th (Dec). They will leave Cairo on the 27th and fly into Paris and spend 3 1/2 days in Paris. So they won't be home until after the new year. I have to come up with a neat idea. Any suggestions? He is such a level headed family man but for some strange reason had always wanted a Harley Davidson Road King. Well when he was home for 10 days about 3 months ago he bought that motorcycle. I guess he needed to just know he had one because he is always abroad. Anyway I recently found a Roak King embroidery design on the web and I downloaded it. I thought about embroidering the Harley on some nice polo golf style shirts. He can wear his harley shirts when he isn't home. What do you think? For his birthday I send a Harley Road King coffee mug. I mailed it on July 13 (b'day is 7/24) and he got it last week. I had been teasing him that one day he would be out and see some Egyptian riding a camel drinking tea from a Harley cup.

Sorry I was not trying to hijack your thread. I just wanted to say that you sure make special gifts for your family. We are revisiting a thread about pedigrees. I wonder if I am in your family tree? hint hint!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102604
[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow you can really see the love in your heart for your bother and his for you as well.
I could not even top your ideas their great !! I have given a few people an herbal bath baskets with hand towel for the men, and hair wrap towels for the ladies. The kind that you mentioned. Making baskets are great. You really don't realize how much work goes in to the shape and ribbons and selecting the baskets until your the one making them. I loved your hot peppers idea, and you really can't beat a Harley Davidson gift for someone that loves bikes. I love this idea, embroidering the Harley on some nice polo golf style shirts. You are really talented. I think he will love that.

Since he travels a lot you could make a basket with handy things. The really tiny items from the pharmacy stores , like cream, tooth paste, bug repellent, tooth brush ,you know all those cute little bottles they sell with shampoo in them. Then you can pick up some male grooming things and add those as well. I would say nail clippers but you can't take those on the planes anymore. Those little things always come in handy and don't take up too much room in the suite case . I always have some handy for our long weekend to the cottage.

I think I will ask my husband to pick up some more tomatoes on his way home since I’m still in the cooking mood. Since the sauce last for a couple years ,I will get the canning part out of the way now, and do the wrapping closer to x-mass. You got my mind working now. I think for the kids I will make cookie dough and can it. My niece loves making chocolate chip cookies with me. This way all she will have to add is the eggs.

I saw the thread about pedigrees and would love to join in but we never got papers for Chelsey. At first we told the breeder since we can’t show her it was ok we won't need them, but then after a while I thought it would be good to have them... But it was too late she did not register that set of puppies, she told me she could give me an other puppy with papers but my heart was already set on cute Chelsey. I wish I had them now so I could see who she is related to
Thanks for the info I feel a lot better about my gift giving now :D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm all done my canning.. i think... I did a second batch of 14 bottles. now I 'm on to labling them and raping ribon on them. I might just do one more thing. maybe apple pie filling. I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
WOW, you sure are ambitious! I remember my mom and grandma do canning. The only thing I remember was them in the kitchen with sweat rolling down their faces and them not let us in the kitchen because my mom was scared the cans were going to blow up!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol that what I was thinking while caning too how can you have kids and do this. I know a lot of mother in Laws and grandmothers that do this and they all had children.
it is so scary just for your self if somthing drops or bottle droping in the pot because the water is scorching hot. it took me all day... I started at 10:00 am and finshed at 6:30 pm canning. I felt really good when done. i wanted to get it done soon because in December / january we will be showing the home and I won't have time to do it then.
i want to get all the x-mass gifts out of the way now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts