Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I have a 7 month old Maltese boy - CASPER (he is so white) that doesn't want to sleep past 5 am. Last night he woke up at 3 am! Typically, he starts crying and barking until he wakes me and my fiance, then we let him out so he can go the bathroom (on newspaper), then he barks again until we take him with us to bed where he sleeps on my side. He prefers to be on my side of the bed, so he always trying to sleep on my pillow moving me around.
When we wake up in the morning, we look like heck!

Can anyone help me with advice on how to make him sleep longer (till 7am) or how to keep him quite until we get up in the morning!

Also, I don't if anyone has tried to mix cottage cheese and regular dog food together. I use the russian cottage cheese (tvorog) to feed Casper. If I don't use cheese, he doesn't want to eat the regular dog food. I wonder if anyone has the same issues.

Thanks for your help!

Vlad

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Vladdvo@Mar 3 2005, 11:48 AM
Hi Everyone!

I have a 7 month old Maltese boy - CASPER (he is so white) that doesn't want to sleep past 5 am. Last night he woke up at 3 am! Typically, he starts crying and barking until he wakes me and my fiance, then we let him out so he can go the bathroom (on newspaper), then he barks again until we take him with us to bed where he sleeps on my side. He prefers to be on my side of the bed, so he always trying to sleep on my pillow moving me around. 
When we wake up in the morning, we look like heck!

Can anyone help me with advice on how to make him sleep longer (till 7am) or how to keep him quite until we get up in the morning!

Also, I don't if anyone has tried to mix cottage cheese and regular dog food together. I use the russian cottage cheese (tvorog) to feed Casper. If I don't use cheese, he doesn't want to eat the regular dog food. I wonder if anyone has the same issues.

Thanks for your help!

Vlad
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39565
[/QUOTE]

Well, you would have to just let him cry it out at 3:00 am and eventually he'll stop and go to sleep. And he'll eventually get in the habit of getting up later. If he needs to get up to go potty, there is really no cure for that... letting him out to potty when he needs to is just part of being a furbaby's mommy.

Or do what you're doing and put him in bed with you at 3:00... that's what I do... Catcher will go to sleep very nicely and then when I get up for a bathroom trip, I'll let him out of his crate to also go (potty pads) and then he will not go in his crate... he goes over to the bed and looks up at it and I cannot resist.... I love it this way and it works out just fine....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had a post like this a few months ago. Tini WOULD NOT sleep through the night and I was getting really frustrated. I made sure when I took her to the bathroom I did not turn on any lights, talk to her, or reward her. She sleeps through the night (occasionally she will get up to go to the bathroom, but it is rare). Good luck.

Here is another thread with some info

·
Registered
522 Posts
I must be a super-strict mommy. From night one, Izzy was crated at bedtime, we turned off the lights and made a clear distinction of it being bedtime. For the first month she slept in the livingroom getting used to the dark and the crate. She cried the first night but we totally ignored her. During the day when she's crated, she has been taught to not fuss or whine in the crate. We did that by ignoring her totally when she whined and when she would become guiet, we'd scoop her up and get her out to play. Dogs will eventually stop behaviors that get no response.

Last week, we put Izzy's crate into our bedroom, right up against my side of the bed and right beside our Schnauzer's bed. At bedtime, Izzy follows us and Cricket back to bed and stands at the door to her crate. We put her in it and she does not make a sound until WE decide it's time to get up. Cricket isn't crated but she will lay in her bed until we say "OKAY, get up". Izzy has never peed or pooped in her crate. The longest she was in there was from 11 at night until 9 the next morning!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Unfortunately, the only way to stop your little boy from doing this is to "hear it out".... maybe pick a weekend and just let him cry..... Is he in a play pen type thing or a crate? And how big is the crate? I wonder if you were to put a potty pad in there, if he would be okay then...?? That way he could go if he really needed to, but you can still ignore him to try to get him to sleep through the night.. I did this with Abby when I wanted her to sleep through. I put her in her pen (without toys, etc) with her bed and a potty pad. Eventually she stopped using the potty pad at night... and voila! :D She now spends the entire night on my bed and rarely makes a noise (unless she has a tummy ache or something)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's help!

I am going to try to ignore Casper for some time to see how long he keeps his act!
Also, I might try to bring his small crate to my room.

I'll let you guys now if any of these worked!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am a late sleeper. I started training my puppies very early to sleep late. This is what I would do.

First of all, bring the crate into your room and put it up on a sturdy chair or bench so that the puppy can see you. It would be nice if you could reach over and put your fingers in the crate for reassurance. Is your crate wire or plastic? If it is wire take a dark pillowcase or towel and place it over the top and sides of crate to keep the light out. You want to make a den-like space for the puppy.

Go to bed at the usual time. When your puppy cries during the night, don't get up right away. Try putting your fingers in the crate. If he still fusses then get up and quietly take him to his potty spot. Don't talk to him or play with him, except to praise him for "going". Take him immediately back to the crate, put him in, return to your bed and ignore him. Make sure he can see you, though. You have to let him know that you set the rules. By now he should be able to hold it all night, but I don't think you should suddenly stop taking him out. Once he learns to settle back down after going out, then you can start trying to go longer between potty breaks.

The other night I had to get up in the night to check on a house alarm that was beeping. All of the commotion got my puppies awake. I tapped the top of the crate and told them it wasn't time to get up and they settled right back down. Your little guy will be fine if you stick to your guns!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Vladdvo@Mar 3 2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for everyone's help!

I am going to try to ignore Casper for some time to see how long he keeps his act!
Also, I might try to bring his small crate to my room.

I'll let you guys now if any of these worked!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39664
[/QUOTE]

Oh definitely let him sleep in your room. Dogs are pack animals and I've been told that it is not good for them to sleep alone.... I bet he'll sleep much better knowing you are right there with him....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i spoil my dogs
so i dont have great advice, BUT....when i would wake up every time gruffi would wake me up (i even had to wake up every two hours or else he'd pee in his sleep)....he learned a lot faster. your dog is giving you a signal!!! a lot of people would wish for that. i'd just continue it...and try to sleep earlier.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hmmmm. Our lazy bones sleep all night and love late mornings, even the puppy. They sleep with us, though. That might make the difference.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If it's just totally too early, I SHHHHHOOOSH them until they hush and go back to sleep.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We stared with the same problem with Rudy.He was 3 months old when we got him and he was crate trained.I wanted him to sleep with us so thats where he sleeps.What we do is play with a lot before bedtime and wear him out.Just like kids if they sleep right before bedtime they will for sure wake you in the early am.Now when he wakes me early it's because he need to potty or a drink.I let him down and as soon as he's done he right back ready to go back to sleep.I also try not to let him drink too,
much too late.Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts