Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what's going on with Bitsy. She may be in heat but I can't tell. Bianca was spayed when she was 7 months old so I never went thru it with her. Bitsy is now 6 months old but isn't scheduled for her spay for another 3 weeks. For the last couple of days I've noticed that her female parts are a little swollen. The other night I picked her up and noticed that there was a little bit of blood down there. I think she may be in heat but have no clue for sure if that's the sign that she is. Its not really bloody, I wiped her and its just a little pink. Last night I noticed it again. She pees normally but before bedtime last night she went over to the pee pad and peed. I changed the pad and she squatted again and of course nothing happened. She walked away then turned back and squatted again and nothing and then she walked around it and tried it one more time - she slept thru the night and after she peed this morning, the squatting started again. If she is in heat will they still be able to spay her?

I have an appointment with the Vet to bring Bianca in for her yearly checkup and shots Saturday morning and I can take Bitsy with me if I have to or call and bring her in earlier. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You might want to have her checked for a UTI since she is having urinary issues. Otherwise yes, it sounds like she is in heat. You can have them spayed while in heat but the ideal would be to wait a few months. When they are in heat there is increased blood flow to the uterus and more chance of bleeding and other complications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.